Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:25 AM   #1

APS-C sensor 1.6x

cropped image from12M pixels, RAW100ASA -1 stop 1/2500 @ f11

custom settings: higher contrast, sharpness and color.

Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:05 AM   #2

composition is nice - but it's been over-cropped and it could have benefitted from flash as most detail in the bird is burried in shadow.

Thanks for sharing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:48 AM   #3

This is the full frame jpeg

I'm in the process of seeing what the prime lenses I have can and can't do on APS-C digital. No zoom. No darkroom blow ups from high definition film.
What the 25-year old glass gives you on digital, you take. And crop.

Flash at 100m at f11 is also not an option.

With the blue tit in the next post, it was.

Max
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:51 AM   #4

Flash stopped action
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:31 AM   #5

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
This is the full frame jpeg

I'm in the process of seeing what the prime lenses I have can and can't do on APS-C digital. No zoom. No darkroom blow ups from high definition film.
What the 25-year old glass gives you on digital, you take. And crop.

Flash at 100m at f11 is also not an option.

With the blue tit in the next post, it was.

Max
Max,

Bottom line is you're using the wrong tools for the job. Even the best lenses when used for the wrong purpose produce less than stellar results. Such is the case here.

It might sound harsh, but it's a fact - simply too far away from the subject to get a good shot with that lens.

My suggestion would be either to choose a different subject or get a lens better suited for the job of shooting birds - something in the 400-600mm range.

Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:55 PM   #6

John,

The purpose of this exercise is to see what theresolution is of the Elmarit lenses I have, on APS-C. And what the XSi 450D back will do. Not photographing birds or lugging a 400-600 tele around I will never use.

Considering the 18-55 Canon lens weighs just slightly more than an Elmarit lenscap! and the el cheapo Canon lens is so good (within it's limitations), I'm wondering why I want to carry any of the old lenses around at all.

So far, what I've discovered is you can buy a cheap ($13) , well-made adaptor ring for Leica R lenses. But after that, as far as their performance goes (on the APS-C format sensor), except for the f2.8 90mm, they're heavy and for my usage in digital, virtually redundant.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:32 PM   #7

maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
John,

The purpose of this exercise is to see what theresolution is of the Elmarit lenses I have, on APS-C. And what the XSi 450D back will do. Not photographing birds or lugging a 400-600 tele around I will never use.
Ok, I'll bite. If that's the purpose of the exercise, what is the purpose of posting the images? I'm a bit perplexed by that. If you aren't interested in feedback on your images, why post them in a public forum?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here - I'm honestly curious what the purpose of the post was if not to elicit feedback.

In any event, good luck in your photography - whatever solution you decide upon.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:04 PM   #8

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
maxpixels wrote:
Quote:
John,

Ok, I'll bite. If that's the purpose of the exercise, what is the purpose of posting the images? I'm a bit perplexed by that. If you aren't interested in feedback on your images, why post them in a public forum?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here - I'm honestly curious what the purpose of the post was if not to elicit feedback.

In any event, good luck in your photography - whatever solution you decide upon.
John, go back and read his posts. This is 25 year old glass NOT made for the camera he is testing it on. It's an equipment test. I have old glass that was made before digital was little more than a concept. I'm sure max wasn't trying to yank your chain.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 9:17 PM   #9

shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
John, go back and read his posts. This is 25 year old glass NOT made for the camera he is testing it on. It's an equipment test. I have old glass that was made before digital was little more than a concept. I'm sure max wasn't trying to yank your chain.
OK. I guess I'm not understanding how the posted image with supplied EXIF supports a good test. No matter what lens you use when you crop an image that much you'll get poor results. Made for digital or made for film really not relevant.

Again, most times when people post images with their EXIF info and their processing they're looking for comments - or just oohs and aahhs.

Again, I would suggest if the OP wants to test a 90mm lens they do so with shots more indicative of shots you'd take with a 90mm lens. Whether the lens is used with an adapter or not. From the posted shot I'm not sure what conclusion could be drawn regarding how well the solution works. I don't think you can conclude the solution doesn't work because I think it's a poor test of a 90mm lens. And the over-crop is certainly not showing the lens/adapter in a positive light.

But again, if the OP doesn't want feedback. I ask again, what is the purpose of posting the photo in the first place?
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:17 AM   #10

John,

This discussion is becoming fatiguing and vexatious.

The bird I photographed because it was there at the instant. And the way the shot turned out, or that it was taken at all,isthe Will of God - showing us the 'miracle' of unpowered flight.

I've got posts on this board trying to get details of anyone's experiences with Leica lenses on EOS bodies - specifically the XSi 450D. What customized settings they use, etc.

I put a post up even before I bought the camera and adapter. No replies. I bought the camera. And still nothing to date.

Like I said in my last post, with 35mm format film the old lenses are still great. The 19 and 35 lenses on APS-C digital format are heavy and irrelevant. But the 90 (x 1.6) can still cut it as a compact, super sharpfast f2.8 medium tele lens in certain circumstances. For anything beyond 30m it's effectively 'auto focus' point-and-shoot, with virtually no shutter release delay: It moves, you get it in the frame, you've got the shot.

Beyond that, all I can tell you is Rhett Butler perfectly summed up my outlook on pretty much everything else.

Max