Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:04 PM   #1

I just received my new Canon Rebel xsi for Christmas and the images are not as sharp as my original 6.3 mp Rebel. The test shots were all in automatic but have tried different settings, with and without image stabilization etc. I took about 200 shots and nothing compares to my original rebel. I've enlarged and the 6.3 is still sharper. I feel silly but shouldn't the 12.2 be a much better quality than the 6.3? That's the reason for the upgrade. I've set the focus point to centre. Please help as the time is ticking when the store will take this as a return.Since testing this camera I read most of the posts on this site and see other people are having problems. Can anyone give me some pointers? Should I return the xsi and get the 40D? I'm not a pro (of course) but am doing this as a hobby and enjoy taking pics of my little kids. I have no complaints about my old Rebel at all and cannot understand why the quality of the picture is betterthan the xsi. Thank you.
vmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:45 PM   #2

A pictures is worth a thousand words. And in your case, to SHOW us what's wrong with the focus, a picture is essential !!

What lens is it?

If you have the lens from your old Rebel, and can take a comparative shot with it against the new one, please show us a few of those.

If you have a optics test card, (or can download one, print on 8x10) and photograph that with (preferably) both lenses, one of our resident experts will give you the bottom line from what we can see from a jpeg.

Max

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 1:21 PM   #3

I'm not quite sure if I did this correctly, I haven't done this before.

I took so many tests outside. The "testoutside 002" is with the xsi and the "outsidetestold013" is my 300d. I changed the settings so many times I hope I got the right one for the xsi. These (hopefully) are the ones in full automatic. For simplicity I chose to do it that way. I did swap the lenses and no change on the xsi. I am looking at buying a new "walk around" lens but these shots were with the kit lenses. I read as much as I could about what to do, what to try. I use creative modes for posing pictures but use auto when I have to grab my camera and take quick funny pics of my little kids so I do use auto. I've had my old Rebel since brand new and thought it was time for an upgrade. My sister in law who is far more advanced than I am suggested I buy a new lens instead of a new camera. Thank you for responding, I appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:12 PM   #4

I had the same problem when I got my XSi when it first came out. I found the solution online somewhere, but I forget where. Essentially it is an easy thing to do it is just a pain.

First of all power off the camera,
then take out the battery, leave this out for a minute or so
then remove the lens (this can be done durring the time the battery is out), leave it off
then put the battery back in if you have not done so already
then power it back on (still without the lens)
reset the camera settings from the menu, you will lose any changes so be aware of that.
then power it off
put the lens back on
power it back on

see if that works, if not then try it again.

meltsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:48 PM   #5

Bear with me, can't figure out how to attach 3 pics. Sorry I'm new at forums. Forgive me. Here is testoutside002res which is the new camera.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:50 PM   #6

This is new camera old lens. Different day which accounts for the darkness. When I enlarged and cropped and printed the pics, the 300d pics still looked better.

I wanted to upgrade the old camera as it has 7,000 + pics on it and wanted something noticeably better. I do mostly posing pictures of the kids so portrait types. Without anyone going through any trouble, I would like feedback whether anyone would personally upgrade the lens or purchase the 40D so that I have noticeably nicer pictures.

Thank you kindly.

Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Clearly the 'new' lens shot is much lighter - you could under expose 2/3 of a stop and it would approach the pic of the 'old' lens, whichalso showsmuch more contrast and 'definition'.

Frankly with the Xsi (my first Canon) I underexpose, (except in low light) by 2/3to1-1/3 stops. That's with the standard 18-55 lens. When I put Leica prime lenses on it I not only underexpose 1-1/3 stops I also use the custom settings to increase sharpness, contrast etc. This is not so important if you shoot in RAW (because you can do anything to the pic on the PC) But boosting the settings in camera, is a must if you shoot JPEG and don't want tomanipulate hundreds of shotslater.

It would be instructive if you can take a set of shots with the new lens - normal exposure then - 2/3 stop.

Then the old lens on the NEW camera body - normal exposure, then -2/3 stop. Preferably of a subject or subjects with color, definition, and contrast.

This shot is(a 2300 pixeljpeg crop reduced to 1000pxls) with the XSi 18-55 lens at 35mm, 100 ASA -0.7 stop, 'normal exposure program' and it could have been under exposed even more

Max

Attached Images

maxpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:06 AM   #8

For what it is worth I purchased an XS with the kit lens. I was prepared to be blown away by the image quality and was very disappointed. Pictures looked fuzzy. I tried lots of different settings and even manual focusing with no luck. I am sure I got a bad copy, but I thought if it ain't working right out of the box, I am not going to mess with it. If I had the money I would have upgraded to the 40D or the Pentax 20D, but I exchanged the XS for a Pentax 200D with their kit lens.
From my poking around on the different forums, it appears there are some focus issues with the XS series.
If you have the money for the 40D, go for that.
richwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:26 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your help. I decided to return the camera and stay with my original rebel until it stops working. I tried many things and the xsi did not surpass the original. When I returned the camera they couldn't understand why all of my test shots were far inferior to my old camera but they had no problem refunding my money. I'm not unhappy at all with the original but wanted something noticeably better. Thank you for all of your time, advice and guidance. I appreciate it very much.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 2:08 PM   #10

Maxpixels: Your photo is fairly blurry. Were you postingit as an example of thecamera's shortcomings, or do you feel it's the 18-55mm kits lens that's at fault.

I've read a lot of complaints online about focus issues with the XS and XSi models. From what I can tell, there are two schools of thought on why this is happening:
  1. The XS series cameras are the most popular entry-level DSLRs in the world. And with people moving up from point-and-shoot cameras, many of them aren't used to DSLR photography (shorter depth of field, manual controls, etc.). Hence the flurry of complaints...people expecting to use a DSLR like a point-and-shoot.[/*]
  2. A percentage of the XS camera lensesthat Canon is pumping out need to be re-calibrated. And people with problems tend to post in threads looking for advice while satisfied users don't write in to say that things are working perfectly.
[/*]
I wonder which is true. Maybe both? I thought I was having some issues back when I first bought my camera in September, but I was shooting landscapes without a tripod, using the default settings (e.g., no added sharpness) and I wasn't paying attention to my DOF.

Since then I've had fantastic results indoors, using only the built-in flash, and I'm waitng for agreeable weather to venture back outside...
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote