Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Have EOS Xti since Dec 07, worked perfectly, recently it will not auto focus. Bought new battery and card. It moves the lens and goes thru the motions but will not focus, it stops on a blurry image. Tried it with both lens (18-55 and 75-300) same problem. Takes great on manual focus. What could I have done? Only thing I have done was spray compressed air inside to get rid of some dust spots. Is there a way to return the camera to the default settings? Maybe I changed some setting by mistake, not sure. Thanks Pam
phanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:27 PM   #2

phanley wrote:
Quote:
Only thing I have done was spray compressed air inside to get rid of some dust spots.
That's your problem. You likely damaged something. Using compressed air is a VERY, VERY big no-no. It's too strong. My advice is to send it off to Canon for a repair estimate. With any luck you just knocked something out of kilter and didn't break it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 4:08 PM   #3
Administrator

Are you sure you've got sufficient lighting for it to focus? If so, as JohnG mentioned, you probably damaged it when you used compressed air (for example, causing a problem with the alignment of the mirrors that send the image to the Autofocus Sensor assembly).

Quote:
Is there a way to return the camera to the default settings?
If you go into your camera's setup menus, you'll find a "Clear Settings" option. Once you select it, you'll see choices to clear all camera settings and clear all custom functions.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2009, 2:37 PM   #4

What about the Built-in Dioptric Adjustment did you maybe adjust that somehow by accident?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote