Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:06 PM   #1

Default LCD Preview on the 300d?

Hi all:

I went to check out the 300d last night at my local Best Buy. I asked the sales person if there was a way I could preview my shot in the LCD screen instead of using the viewfinder and he assumed there was. He spent a while trying to figure it out but couldn't. He said that it is possible on the Canon 10d which he personally owns, but didn't know how to do it on the 300d.

So is there a live LCD preview on the 300d?

Thanks.
lunarboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2003, 6:11 PM   #2

No live pre-view possible because of the way in which the image is delivered within the view-finder, the optics will not permit.
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 6:17 PM   #3
NHL

There's no preview on the Canon 10D either...

The images are only captured once the reflex mirror flipped up and out of the way ---> only reviews are possible.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:02 PM   #4

No D-SLR is designed to use the LCD screen as preview...If you want this feature, try the P/S models, they all have it...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:55 PM   #5
jms

Actually, the Olympus E-10 and E-20 DSLR's have this capability. They use a prism instead of a mirror. That way the LCD allows you to "preview" the shot.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_.../e20n_pg3.html
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 6:37 AM   #6
NHL

... May be one day Canon will revive their 630 RT with a semi transparent pellicule mirror and bring back this "preview' capability... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
Actually, the Olympus E-10 and E-20 DSLR's have this capability. They use a prism instead of a mirror. That way the LCD allows you to "preview" the shot.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_.../e20n_pg3.html
E-10 and E-20 are not SLR, the actually name for them is ZLR... still consider as a P/S with more options to shoot like a SLR, but they are not SLR.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 3:35 PM   #8
jms

huh ??? Somebody better tell Steve then. He calls it an SLR all through the test. Olympus needs to be told also. They call the viewfinder system "SLR" on their website.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=3&product=714

It's an SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera by any measure. What the heck is a "ZLR" anyway? Single Lens Reflex means you're seeing the image 'through the lens' (as with the E-10 and E-20). The light comes in through the lens and is directed up above the film plane (sensor plane) by a mirror or prism, or combination of the two, then through the viewfinder.

And do you honestly consider the Olympus E-10 and E-20 as "P/S" (point and shoot) cameras? IMHO, that's a stretch.:roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
E-10 and E-20 are not SLR, the actually name for them is ZLR... still consider as a P/S with more options to shoot like a SLR, but they are not SLR.
jms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2003, 6:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms
huh ??? Somebody better tell Steve then. He calls it an SLR all through the test. Olympus needs to be told also. They call the viewfinder system "SLR" on their website.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...=3&product=714

It's an SLR (Single Lens Reflex) camera by any measure. What the heck is a "ZLR" anyway? Single Lens Reflex means you're seeing the image 'through the lens' (as with the E-10 and E-20). The light comes in through the lens and is directed up above the film plane (sensor plane) by a mirror or prism, or combination of the two, then through the viewfinder.

And do you honestly consider the Olympus E-10 and E-20 as "P/S" (point and shoot) cameras? IMHO, that's a stretch.:roll:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
ZLR=noninterchangable zoom reflex, it's not SLR...

go here and read:

http://www.popularphotography.com/ar...article_id=285

Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:18 PM   #10

I've gotta agree with jms on this one. The definition of SLR doesn't not say interchangeable lenses. That feature might also describe 90% of all SLR, but technically a "SLR" camera does not have to have interchangeable lenses.

To quote Steve's definition:
Quote:
SLR - Single Lens Reflex - Means the camera has a viewfinder that sees through the lens (TTL) by way of a 45-angled mirror that flips up when the shutter fires and allows the light to strike the image sensor (or film).
I've never heard the term ZLR before, but I'm not exactly up on all the terms. A quick google search on it seems to show it being used with brands other than Olympus (Fuji) but that is at only one store (unless I missed something in my skimming of the results.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote