Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2003, 6:47 AM   #1

Default Can I do it with the 300d?

Reviews I have read on the 300d have lacked coverage of some minor points that are important to me. Can anyone commont on any of these topics?

1. Can I use the built in flash to trip (using slave trippers that fire when they see the camera flash) studio strobes or does the Canon emit a metering flash that would trip the strobes before the shutter opened? I have a number of flashes that I used with film that I would like to use here.

2. I have several devices for screw mount Pentax and Leica thread that I would like to use. This includes microscope/telescope adapters and old t-mount long lenses. I realize there would be no autofocus or aperture control from the camera but does Canon still make that adapter ring allowing M42 thread to focus to infinity on this mount? Will the camera allow the meter to adjust the shutter speed for whatever light enters the body or would I be in full manual with such a rig?

3. I am concerned about reviews mentioning the omission of some software features from the 300d that were present on the 10D. from a practical sense, what can I not do that I might miss?

4. My main interest is macro. I realize that there are certain laws of optics that mean I would have small depth of field etc. but I am interested in being able to shoot small subjects from a distance so the camera is not so close that it gets in the way of lighting the subject. Even ring lights are directional when used from an inch or two because of the hole in the middle cause by the lens diameter. Can anyone think of any problem I might encounter caused by a 'feature' of the camera in this regard?

The type of photography I want to do is shown on my page:
http://home.comcast.net/~dougsmit/ph2003.html
I have no desire or cash to but all the new Canon lenses and am just an amateur who would not appreciate the sharpness differences (if any) these might add over my old (Leitz, Zeiss etc.)lenses. Any help offered to suggest if the 300d would fit my desires would be appreciated.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2003, 7:31 AM   #2
NHL

Hey, we've been on the same digital evolution path: CP990 -> D7's -> Canon? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:
1. Can I use the built in flash to trip (using slave trippers that fire when they see the camera flash) studio strobes or does the Canon emit a metering flash that would trip the strobes before the shutter opened? I have a number of flashes that I used with film that I would like to use here.
You can use one of theses devices for studio strobe:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...467&highlight=
Canon's digital E-TTL will pre-flash and you can't disable it like on your Minolta's.

Quote:
2. I have several devices for screw mount Pentax and Leica thread that I would like to use. This includes microscope/telescope adapters and old t-mount long lenses. I realize there would be no autofocus or aperture control from the camera but does Canon still make that adapter ring allowing M42 thread to focus to infinity on this mount? Will the camera allow the meter to adjust the shutter speed for whatever light enters the body or would I be in full manual with such a rig?
http://porterscamerastore.com/Mercha...egory_Code=L1Q
I know a little bit about other adapters here, and their existence, but I have never used them.
The 300D does let you go to manual or meter what you are trying to capture though. In stop-down mode for example: adjusting the shutter speed will slide the EV scale so you can tell when the exposure is proper by monitoring the external LCD or inside the viewfinder.

Quote:
3. I am concerned about reviews mentioning the omission of some software features from the 300d that were present on the 10D. from a practical sense, what can I not do that I might miss?
Mostly ALL the customized functions and:
o Metering mode is fixed by the various program modes, but you can overide with the AE lock to partial metering.
o No flash bracketing or compensation
o No AF servo/AF single shot (AI focus does both automatically!)
o No mirror lock-up (could be important to you)
... however the camera is still quite flexible otherwise (even has an optional keyfob remote)

Quote:
4. My main interest is macro. I realize that there are certain laws of optics that mean I would have small depth of field etc. but I am interested in being able to shoot small subjects from a distance so the camera is not so close that it gets in the way of lighting the subject. Even ring lights are directional when used from an inch or two because of the hole in the middle cause by the lens diameter. Can anyone think of any problem I might encounter caused by a 'feature' of the camera in this regard?
Just the 1.6x factor that you have to account for... :P

Very nice website on coins BTW... You'll be missing this WYSIWYG feature on manual of the D7's though:
Quote:
The other big attraction of the Minolta 7i was the electronic finder that displayed the image just like it would be recorded in terms of exposure. While the camera has a meter and does relatively well with automatic exposures, setting the camera for manual exposure and adjusting the shutter speed until the exposure looks just right has become my method of choice. Cameras with optical viewing systems (including the high end digital SLR's) will require checking the result after exposure or learning to use the histogram features all good cameras (including the Minolta) offer.
(just like I do !!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote