Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2009, 7:34 PM   #1

Hello Canon-eers
Has anyone bought and used the new BRNO Balens
Its a lens cover with built in white balance correction and set up white apparently works better than a gray card for setting up custom white balance
Thanks in advance for any responses
Peter

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:40 AM   #2

No. As a general piece of information though, a white card works better than a grey card too. A grey card is designed for use in setting proper exposure not white balance. I bought an $8 white card from B&H - much cheaper than an expodisc was and I can use it for any lens I shoot with. The other thing I don't like about the expodisc is you are supposed to point it at the light source. That works great when the lighting is overhead lights but in other situations where it's not direct lighting on your subject I'm not sure how well it works - a white card I can have the subject hold so it's reflecting the exact light hitting the subject. I'm not sure if the device you're looking at has the same directions (i.e. point at light source for WB shot rather than subject).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 6:50 PM   #3

John G
thank you for your very informative response.
This new 'thingee' sets custom white balance.
it is a lens cap with a white ball like dome in the centre
apparently you choose custom white balance on you camera and take a picture of your subject and then save it and use as a proof to cancel out wrong white balance in your shots
as best as i can explain, trying to remember what the article said
Peter
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:50 PM   #4

I use this device and it works very well.

You cover your lens with this white balance cap, set your lens to manual focus then point it at the subject. Take a snapshot of the subject.

If your subject has only 1 light source (e.g. fluorescent lamps only), instead of multiple types of sources (e.g. sunlight and fluorescent lights), you can aim the lens at the light source and take a snapshot.

Set your camera to custom white balance and select the photo you took as the source of calibration.

Take of the cap, return your lens to AF and shoot away.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote