Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:34 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

Hi i just got this camera, and wanted to know when i am shooting indoors i seem to get more sharp photos when using the spot metering mode, i was just wondering what settings are best to have the camera set to? also how can i use ISO 3200? as it only goes to 1600, thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:22 AM   #2
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

Page 154 of the manual will show you how to set the custom function for high ISO which is the 3200 setting. If you want an online version go to http://www.tribcsp.com/~sigma2/40D-Manual/EOS40D_EN.pdf

Are you talking about spot metering or centre point focus. The metering shouldn't affect the quality of shot just the way the camera takes an exposure reading.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Page 154 of the manual will show you how to set the custom function for high ISO which is the 3200 setting. If you want an online version go to http://www.tribcsp.com/~sigma2/40D-Manual/EOS40D_EN.pdf

Are you talking about spot metering or centre point focus. The metering shouldn't affect the quality of shot just the way the camera takes an exposure reading.
Thanks Mark, H is 3200 ISO then,, yes i mean when i take a picture indoors and i use evalutive mode they don't look as sharp as when i use spot metering, also on the settings should i have AF Point Display enabled or disabled? and in the menu like C Fn I, C Fn II, C Fn III, C Fn VI, which are the best settings to have in those thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:27 PM   #4
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

hercules wrote:
Quote:
,, yes i mean when i take a picture indoors and i use evalutive mode they don't look as sharp as when i use spot metering, also on the settings should i have AF Point Display enabled or disabled? and in the menu like C Fn I, C Fn II, C Fn III, C Fn VI, which are the best settings to have in those thanks
I agree with Mark1616 and none of theses C.Fn should affect their sharpnest!

What you may have experienced was in spot metering, the exposure may turn out to be better than evaluative, hence the constrast of the resulting image makes it appear sharper - Can you post examples as the exposures also affect the shutter speed which could be on the border line?

-> Only the Picture Style settings will affect the images sharpness
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
,, yes i mean when i take a picture indoors and i use evalutive mode they don't look as sharp as when i use spot metering, also on the settings should i have AF Point Display enabled or disabled? and in the menu like C Fn I, C Fn II, C Fn III, C Fn VI, which are the best settings to have in those thanks
I agree with Mark1616 and none of theses C.Fn should affect their sharpnest!

What you may have experienced was in spot metering, the exposure may turn out to be better than evaluative, hence the constrast of the resulting image makes it appear sharper - Can you post examples as the exposures also affect the shutter speed which could be on the border line?

-> Only the Picture Style settings will affect the images sharpness
No i don't mean that C.Fn will affect the sharpness what i meant was, what settings are best in there? here is just a couple examples with my Sigma 30mm 1.4 @ f/1.4, this is evalutive metering,
Attached Images
 
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 1:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

And here is Spot metering.
Attached Images
 
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2009, 10:35 AM   #7
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

Where the EXIFs? :O
-> Can't tell much from theses pictures...

hercules wrote:
Quote:
No i don't mean that C.Fn will affect the sharpness what i meant was, what settings are best in there?
What's good for you? For example:

C.Fn I: I like my ISO setting to be in 1/3 for precision, but others like in 1/2 because it's easier to think in term of double or 1/2 in lighting...

C.Fn III: When shooting wildlife I like my AF point(s) to be highlighted so I know if the focus is on the subject or the background; However when I shoot in a studio at f/5.6 or more I wanted it off because it's distracting since I would watch the red light instead of focusing to the subject glance, sticking hair or fold lines

C.Fn IV: AF-ON setting depending on shooting sport, wildlife, or still, as what is best for one style is useless on another situation

C.Fn II long exposure noise reduction is about the only that's common to everyone
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2009, 4:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Where the EXIFs? :O
-> Can't tell much from theses pictures...

hercules wrote:
Quote:
No i don't mean that C.Fn will affect the sharpness what i meant was, what settings are best in there?
What's good for you? For example:

C.Fn I: I like my ISO setting to be in 1/3 for precision, but others like in 1/2 because it's easier to think in term of double or 1/2 in lighting...

C.Fn III: When shooting wildlife I like my AF point(s) to be highlighted so I know if the focus is on the subject or the background; However when I shoot in a studio at f/5.6 or more I wanted it off because it's distracting since I would watch the red light instead of focusing to the subject glance, sticking hair or fold lines

C.Fn IV: AF-ON setting depending on shooting sport, wildlife, or still, as what is best for one style is useless on another situation

C.Fn II long exposure noise reduction is about the only that's common to everyone
Thanks NHL, couple questions in C.Fn IV the AF-ON/AE Lock button switch sould that be enabled or disabled? and in C.Fn II Long exp. noise reduction enabled and high ISO speed reduction ON, having both of them on does that make high ISO more cleaner? thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 7:38 AM   #9
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

hercules wrote:
Quote:
couple questions in C.Fn IV the AF-ON/AE Lock button switch sould that be enabled or disabled?
It's not simple as On and Off... :shock:
You have 4 choices here beside enable/disable (0 to 3):
The most often use of this button is in sport where you want to start/stop the AF in AI-servo at will (C.Fn IV-1 1), but for wildlife you may want to AF and meter separately as white/Black birds don't measure the same as their background so the settings are different (C.Fn IV-1 3)... and there's two other variation like (C.Fn IV-1 2) when you're on tripod - So what is best for your style?


Quote:
... and in C.Fn II Long exp. noise reduction enabled and high ISO speed reduction ON, having both of them on does that make high ISO more cleaner?
Yes - but again it depends...
C.Fn II-1 On is OK here as in almost all cases the camera is on a tripod for this, this can only help!

C.Fn II-2 On will make high ISO cleaner, but at the detriment of details, and it will slow down your frame rate so if you shoot actions it might not be a good idea to enable it... May be post-processs is better - Again what is best for you?

I tend to find C.Fn II-3 to be more useful as it extends details in the highlight and shadow areas
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
hercules wrote:
Quote:
couple questions in C.Fn IV the AF-ON/AE Lock button switch sould that be enabled or disabled?
It's not simple as On and Off... :shock:
You have 4 choices here beside enable/disable (0 to 3):
The most often use of this button is in sport where you want to start/stop the AF in AI-servo at will (C.Fn IV-1 1), but for wildlife you may want to AF and meter separately as white/Black birds don't measure the same as their background so the settings are different (C.Fn IV-1 3)... and there's two other variation like (C.Fn IV-1 2) when you're on tripod - So what is best for your style?


Quote:
... and in C.Fn II Long exp. noise reduction enabled and high ISO speed reduction ON, having both of them on does that make high ISO more cleaner?
Yes - but again it depends...
C.Fn II-1 On is OK here as in almost all cases the camera is on a tripod for this, this can only help!

C.Fn II-2 On will make high ISO cleaner, but at the detriment of details, and it will slow down your frame rate so if you shoot actions it might not be a good idea to enable it... May be post-processs is better - Again what is best for you?

I tend to find C.Fn II-3 to be more useful as it extends details in the highlight and shadow areas
Ok thanks now i understand
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:53 AM.