Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:22 PM   #11
NHL

joeted wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again to everyone this is really helpful stuff. Im seriously thiniking about the Nikon D60,what are your thoughts on this ? Also is there a difference between a Nikon d60 and a EOS Nikon d60 ?
I shoot with both brand...

IMO you should look at the lenses you will eventually need 'to photograph wildlife especially birds of prey'. ropp posted correctly before that this is expensive pasttime and I can tell you from experience that Nikon prime lenses for this purpose is more expensive than Canon's (by 4 digits), and also difficult to get!

-> This is why I suggested the Oly - i.e. priced it out with comparable lens and will it meet your budget?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 8:00 AM   #12

Ok everyone I went out and got the Nikon D60 and I love it. Im buried in the manual and im practising all the time.I must admit the amount of settings and words that I dont understand are pretty daunting at the moment lol but I'll get there.
I love the pictures where the background is blurred but the main subject is in focus and Ive managed to take a close up of my dog like that but I cant get one like that when hes 3 or more feet away from me so Im trying to work that.
joeted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 12:23 PM   #13

Congratulations!
Bokeh is dependent on aperture, focal length, and subject-to-lens distance. Subject-to-lens distance can also be interpreted as angle of lens. For example, shooting an object from a ladder vs shooting it from its height level obviously change subject-to-lens distance. (That's why you'd take group photos from a higher vantage point to get everyone in focus.) With your dog, you can take a shot lower, at the dog's level, as opposed to shooting down on it. Obviously, as you found out, you'd have to get closer as well.

http://www.qtphotographer.com
quangtran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 4:01 PM   #14

quangtran1 wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations!
Bokeh is dependent on aperture, focal length, and subject-to-lens distance.
Slight correction. Depth of Field (DOF) is controlled by those factors. For further clarification, the focal length portion is the PHYSICAL focal length of the lens (not the 35mm equivelent).

Bokeh actually refers to the QUALITY of the out of focus background. The bokeh is controlled by lens design (number of blades, etc...). 3 different lenses with the same aperture and focal length and distance can create 3 different bokehs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:51 PM   #15

Yes, John is correct, but I believe John knows what I meant. I said "bokeh" but I should have said "depth of field" which was what the OP was referring to regarding his dog.
quangtran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:12 AM   #16
NHL

joeted wrote:
Quote:
I love the pictures where the background is blurred but the main subject is in focus and Ive managed to take a close up of my dog like that but I cant get one like that when hes 3 or more feet away from me so Im trying to work that.
This is one of the reason why you need a more 'costly' lens than what the kit lens can provide...
-> The DOF becomes shallower as the focal lenght get longer which'll allow you the extra distance (even @ f/9 and notice the Bokeh):

Old Mar 14, 2009, 1:09 PM   #17

NHL wrote:
Quote:
joeted wrote:
Quote:
This is one of the reason why you need a more 'costly' lens than what the kit lens can provide...
-> The DOF becomes shallower as the focal lenght get longer which'll allow you the extra distance (even @ f/9 and notice the Bokeh):

Thanks buddy I love that picture.

I was actually going to ask is it because I only have the normal kit lens ? I suppose theres only so much you can do with my lens.Is that correct ? Cant wait till next payday so I can get the better one
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:07 PM   #18
NHL

joeted wrote:
Quote:
I was actually going to ask is it because I only have the normal kit lens ? I suppose theres only so much you can do with my lens.Is that correct ?
Exactly!

The above image was captured with a Canon 100-400L @ 400mm f/9, this telephoto 'compress' the bird of prey and throws the background out of focus which you can not achieve with a shorter kit lens.
Here's the same example with a Bigma on a Nikon @ 500mm f/8 instead with even a shallower DOF as not even the whole head is in focus, but see how 'creamy' the background has become?

Old Mar 17, 2009, 5:42 PM   #19

NHL wrote:
Quote:
joeted wrote:
Quote:
I was actually going to ask is it because I only have the normal kit lens ? I suppose theres only so much you can do with my lens.Is that correct ?
Exactly!

The above image was captured with a Canon 100-400L @ 400mm f/9, this telephoto 'compress' the bird of prey and throws the background out of focus which you can not achieve with a shorter kit lens.
Here's the same example with a Bigma on a Nikon @ 500mm f/8 instead with even a shallower DOF as not even the whole head is in focus, but see how 'creamy' the background has become?

Ok thanks buddy

Im reading all the posts over and over to try and understand all the lens's and basically all the lingo its pretty tough.
I was looking at ebay earlier at the sigma 70-300mm lens and the descriptions for these say "Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG MACRO LENS" . A helpful poster posted a excellent link for me that describes the different types of lens and in the link the macro lens is the lens you want for shooting tiny insects,flowers etc. I thought the 70-300mm lens was a telephoto one ?? so how come in the descriptions it says "macro" ? Am I being a real dumb dumb ?
Heres the link by the way Enjoy! Digital SLR camera
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:27 AM   #20
NHL

joeted wrote:
Quote:
A helpful poster posted a excellent link for me that describes the different types of lens and in the link the macro lens is the lens you want for shooting tiny insects,flowers etc. I thought the 70-300mm lens was a telephoto one ?? so how come in the descriptions it says "macro" ? Am I being a real dumb dumb ?
Not really... :-)

Some telephotos allow the possibility to focus closer than normal and the manufacturers label them 'Macro' but theses lenses are not true MACRO as they can not reach a 1 to 1 reproduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography

On the other hand you need something longer than 300mm for wildlife, especially for birdings so if I were you I'll be very frustrated with a 70-300mm...
-> I would set my goal to minimum of 400mm