Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:37 PM   #1

Hi folks:

For those who are familiar with the Canon 5D Mark II, I'm puzzled by a couple of user reviews concerning formatting a compact flash larger than 8GB. They say that the 5D will only format a larger CF card (16 or 32GB) to the capacity of an 8GB CF card. Does this make any sense?

I have a 16GB CF card. Do I lose any capacity when I format it in the D5? If so, how can I get the most out of a large capacity CF card? Nothing is said about any of this in Canon's camera manual. I suspect this might be BS.

As always, your knowledge and assistance is greatly appreciated. Dan.

Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:57 PM   #2

AreALL your references for the MARK II version of the 5D? I've never seen this statement before anywhere. And it is not true for the 5D, either. I have a friend with current bios on his original 5d and he uses a couple 32GB cards (shows up as 29.8GB due to file structure overhead) with no problems.

Moreover, I have no problems formatting and getting 16GB (a bit less ... some is used for file structure overhead) on my5D MARK II. I do not have any larger cards to verify, but see no reason for it to not format them.

BTW, if you use the more expensive UDMA-type CF cards like the Sandisk Extreme IVs, you should also have remarkably long burst speeds.

Canon implies it can accept up to the maximum the current CF formats allow (137GB): http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=2186

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 4:03 PM   #3

Thank youfor your reply Hgernhardtjr. I've never seen this as well. It doesn't make sense, as I've not experienced this problem. As I'm new to the D5 Mark II, I thought I would see what others like yourself have to say. Dan.

Dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:56 PM   #4

Regarding formatting...
I can format the CF card in the camera or by using my computer.
Is one method preferable over the other?

Thanks
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 5:09 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Regarding formatting...
I can format the CF card in the camera or by using my computer.
Is one method preferable over the other?

Thanks
Always best to do it in camera.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:51 AM   #6

I agree strongly with Mark ... it is best (and easiest) to do it in the camera. That way there is no possible chance for your card to be formatted incorrectly from the way the camera "wants" it. Many people found out early on that they would often have memory failures ranging from total non acceptance to "half-shots" being recorded to sporadic non-saved photos when they formatted in their readers. But when they reformatted in the camera, those same people had no problems.

However, if you know the ins and outs of FAT, NTFS, etc., there really is no reason why a knowledgable person can't format the cards in the computer.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote