Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2003, 6:12 PM   #1

Default Rebel "auto-rotate" feature?

I see from Steve's review that the Rebel has a sensor to detect the orientation (portrait or landscape) of the camera when a photo is taken and the display will "auto-rotate" the image during review.

Can this "auto-rotate" feature be used when the image is downloaded to a PC? Be nice if it could. I know purists don't like any manipulation, but I spend a lot of time "rotating" pictures in preparation for posting to my web site. It would be nice if this could be automated.

Thanks!

-Ed
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 8:55 PM   #2

I'm not sure I understand what your asking, so I'll give it my best. Note, my comments are based on the 10D, not the Digital Rebel.

When you take the picture in portrate instead of landscape, the camera tags the picture so that software can (if it looks for the tag) rotate the picture. When you view the picture in the camera, it detects the tag and rotates the picture for viewing.

When you download the picture, it is also automatically rotated. At least, I have never found a picture not rotated that should have been rotated. So I assume the software does it automatically.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:07 PM   #3
NHL

Quote:
When you download the picture, it is also automatically rotated. At least, I have never found a picture not rotated that should have been rotated. So I assume the software does it automatically.
Are you using the Canon File Viewer S/W? Like you said it's just a tag...(like the AF points). The actual image is not rotated at least if you downloaded directly from the card reader. My portrait pictures remained sideway after I download!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:25 PM   #4

I think you guys have answered my question. Sounds like the Canon File Viewer (and possibly other applications) can Grok the "tag" and display appropriately, but the image file itself is not manipulated in any way.

Is there some sort of "standard" for the tag you're referring to? Will, say, Thumbsplus understand this tag?

Thanks again!

-Ed
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:11 AM   #5

No, I thought that when you download the picture using software which understand the tag, it will do a lossless rotation and save the file rotated. If you just copied the files (say in windows explorer) it doesn't.

This should be easy to test, though. Take 2 pictures with each orientation. Copy them using the explorder. Then copy them with the canon utility. View them in PS (or something) and see if they are rotated.

When I view the file in Photoshop Elements 2.0 (came with the 10D) it is rotated. I always download with the Canon utility (so it stores everything in dated folders.)

The few times I've used my laptop and copied in windows explorer, I believe it didn't show up as rotated in a browser.

I don't know if thumbs plus supports the tag. It's and interesting and good question. There is some standards on the EXIF data in jpgs. I don't know if it extends to this.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:01 PM   #6

When you copy with windows explorer, the picture does *not* get rotated. If you double-click on the picture after the copy, it'll be on its side.

The easiest way to solve this problem is by using zoombrowser. It'll go through the directory with pictures for you, and fix all of them that need rotating. Exit zoombrowser, and voila, you're done! Now you have rotated pictures and double-clicking in explorer shows the correct orientation.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:23 PM   #7

Kewl! thanx!