Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:34 PM   #1

Default The only reason I won't buy a digi-SLR

I'd buy a digi SLR if ONLY they had a swivel LCD. I shoot plants, and shoot either at lawn level or overhead. If I had to shoot a plants habit, I'd have to lie prone on the lawn, or even worse, in the soil.

Does anyone have any explanation as to why the digital SLR's lack a swivel LCD?

IS CANON LISTENING. I emailed this question to Canon. I'm still waiting on a rely.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:41 PM   #2
NHL

... They do make the optical Angle Finder Ed-C which would fit all their EOS SLRs including the digital one just for this purpose! There's no preview on most dSLR, only review (ie after the picture is taken) the flip-up mirror is in the way unless it's an E10/20... which use a prism. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some years ago they did made an SLR with a semi transparent fixed pellicule mirror, so I guess the image is projected to both the film and the viewfinder at the same time. I guess they can bring this idea back and apply it to a dSLR as well... in the meantime you just have to stay on the sideline then.
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...738&highlight=

... Apparently they are selling all the 300D or 10D that they can make at this moment. ops:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 9:57 PM   #3

Personally, I lay out the cheap beach towel and get down on the ground. Some times, that is the angle that really makes the picture, so that is what I do.

Sure, it would be nice to not have to... but until that happens, I'll just lay down.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:03 PM   #4

Eric, to have to lay prone for practically every shot I take would be just impossibe. I ain't that young anymore. (^J^)
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:25 PM   #5
NHL

... There's a practical benefit in not being able to pre-view with the battery draining LCD: on the 10D at least, one can shoot over 700 pictures in lowest compression JPEG (ie the equivalent of filling almost two 1G microdrives) without having to change or carry extra batteries... over several days.

Try that with an LCD!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 10:28 PM   #6

Janet,

Seems to me the Olympus E20 has what you're looking for:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_.../e20n_pg2.html

see the last pic on the bottom
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:10 PM   #7

Echaban, thank you, so much. I really do appreciate your input. I have been researching for ages, and didn't find any acceptable results.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 11:16 AM   #8

JanetKP

I guess I was lucky that I didn't actually have to get up and down for each shot. I just laid down and stayed there (15 minutes at a time.... I was shoting shore birds.)

Now, my neck sure hurt because I had to hold my head up. So I'm sorta considering the angle view finder that NHL mentioned. I don't do it often enough to justify it, though.

Don't shrug off the battery issue that NHL mentions. The LCD is the second largest power drain (first is actually writing the data to the CF.) So I would look for some reviews which point out long battery life is on the E20.. and make sure they include the use of the LCD as the view finder.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2003, 7:42 PM   #9

The nice thing about P&S cameras with swivel LCDs is that you can take some shots where a 35mm wouldn't even fit. Or shoot from the waist so no-one notices you.

Undersides of leaves (Nikon Coolpix have really close macro distances) and even above your head are much more feasible with the P&Ss than SLRs.

Of course with the higher pixel count even if the image is not perfectly composed you can crop what you want later. And with any digital, the image reveiw means you don't have to wait to see if you got that shot until your prints come back from the darkroom.

Both have their advantages which is why I kept my G2 and bought a digiRebel (they even share batteries).
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:05 AM   #10

LCD screen with swivel features are very useful since most of them have 100% viewfinder coverage, but it's not reliable in outdoor and bright light, sometimes you can not see what you want to shoot clearly. SLR optical viewfinder is the best and with the one that have the 100% coverage, is much more expensive since it only offer on pro SLR, if you shoot at difficult angle, there are always useful tools available, but not much you can find on the low-level entry DSLRs. On film cameras, there are interchangable viewfinders and assisting tools available. You're are asking for pro features on entry level DSLR, you may be out of luck.

As for the LCD screen, like I said, ther will be limited use of it in outdoor shooting, but it's very useful when you're able to use it...

cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote