Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:10 PM   #1

I took my 40D to the motorcycle races today, the battery was fully charged and i was shooting in highspeed and RAW, well at about 200 shots the battery indicator was at the last line does this sound normal? also i got a error reading that i should clean the lens contacts then i turned the camera off then on and it didn't show that error, i also updated the camera to the new 1.11 firmware last week thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:49 AM   #2

Nope, 200 images is a very low count. I get about 1000-1100 images with a fully charged battery. The battery indicator is not very precise though, when it shows only the last segment I can take another 300-400 shots before a low battery warning shows up and some more even after that. Shooting a lot of action with continuous AF does drain a battery a bit faster. Try to run your battery completelly down and charge it for at least 1.5-2 hours. See if it makes a difference.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:49 AM   #3

sorry, double post.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 5:54 AM   #4

algold wrote:
Quote:
Nope, 200 images is a very low count. I get about 1000-1100 images with a fully charged battery. The battery indicator is not very precise though, when it shows only the last segment I can take another 300-400 shots before a low battery warning shows up and some more even after that. Shooting a lot of action with continuous AF does drain a battery a bit faster. Try to run your battery completelly down and charge it for at least 1.5-2 hours. See if it makes a difference.
Thanks the battery didn't go dead on me and i was still shooting images even with the battery indecator showing 1 line, but you know i think i was using the aftermarket battery that i bought i will try again with the canon battery and see if it is better,, so using high speed shooting will drain your battery faster?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 9:40 AM   #5

Well this is wierd, i put the factory canon battery after a full charge and just snapped off in high speed just to see how long it will last, and my 8gb card shoots 590 pictures well i shot off 1,180 photos and the battery indictator was still full then i shot off another 300 shots and it was still full, is this normal? as canon says max shots is 1,100.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:36 PM   #6

I haven't noticed that using high speed shooting affects the battery life all that much, but using servo AF does, the AF motor works more than in single shot mode.

If you just shoot continuously you can probably get to 2K or moreon one charge.

Don't remember what they have in the manual and too lazy to search for it, but the Canon test involves focusing the lens from the MFD to infinity and back again, taking the shot, displaying the image on an LCD and so on. And they take into account using a build-in flash 50% of the shots - something like that, don't quote me though :-).

Anyway, if your battery isn't faulty or too old and fully charged, you should get more than 1000 shots. If you use Live View this number will be reduced quite dramatically.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:42 PM   #7

algold wrote:
Quote:
I haven't noticed that using high speed shooting affects the battery life all that much, but using servo AF does, the AF motor works more than in single shot mode.

If you just shoot continuously you can probably get to 2K or moreon one charge.

Don't remember what they have in the manual and too lazy to search for it, but the Canon test involves focusing the lens from the MFD to infinity and back again, taking the shot, displaying the image on an LCD and so on. And they take into account using a build-in flash 50% of the shots - something like that, don't quote me though :-).

Anyway, if your battery isn't faulty or too old and fully charged, you should get more than 1000 shots. If you use Live View this number will be reduced quite dramatically.
The aftermarket battery i bought is faulty the canon battery is great,, but i also bought a 8gb compact flash card from ebay and i think it is a fake, when i shoot in RAW it tells me i have 590 shots left and everytime i take a picture that number will decrease but in jpeg it tells me i have 999 shots and everytime i take a picture it stays at 999 pretty weird i think.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:27 PM   #8

I think your CF card is OK :-). The remaining shots counter displays only 3 digits, the size ofa large Jpeg file is about 3.5MB, so on an 8GB CF you can save more than 2000 images - this is more that can be displayed. When you shoot more than a thousand frames it will start to count down. I can be wrong here of course.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:01 PM   #9

algold wrote:
Quote:
I think your CF card is OK :-). The remaining shots counter displays only 3 digits, the size ofa large Jpeg file is about 3.5MB, so on an 8GB CF you can save more than 2000 images - this is more that can be displayed. When you shoot more than a thousand frames it will start to count down. I can be wrong here of course.
Lol, thanks i just figured that out today after shooting off 1000 frames then it started counting down