Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 17, 2009, 2:17 PM   #21

nice set, have lots of fun with it
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 2:44 AM   #22

Hi, can you please guide me on some basic aspects of post processing? I hope I'm not encroaching topic guidelines...

1. What do i do with basic raw images- do i need to play with colour and the like before conversion? When you transfer an image onto the computer, what are the basic first 4-5 steps you do to all images? Any online discussion similar to this forum dedicated to post processing alone?

2. I like the clarity(apart from the contrast, richness in colour and sharpness) that a lot of images have on flickr, why do i find my images noisy in comparison?

3. Is there an interactive forum where i can put up pictures and get members' feedback? I am excited and feel i have a perspective or an eye for composition, but am unable to translate what i have in mind to the final output due to various reasons, if only someone could pinpoint my problems, I'm sure I can take it to a different level altogether.

4. Which software set do you use for conversion, processing etc? do i really have to break my head and learn photoshop cs3 or something in detail, or is it sufficient if I just learn some basic stuff from these online resources?

Thanks
skmdcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 2:53 AM   #23
Super Moderator

I strongly recommend you start with Adobe Lightroom or Apple's Aperture. It may be that you never need another program at all. I hardly use anything other than Lightroom.

The luminous-landscape tutorials (both for Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw) are excellent and well worth the relatively modest asking price.

There lots of places where you can post and get feedback.

Firstly there are the forums here - just scroll down.

There is also a flickr group (Steves Forums Kollaborators) which I am an administrator of, so just apply to join and you will be welcome.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 3:12 AM   #24

Hi,

that was very valuable advice craig. have already got my copy of LR and enjoying its simplicity. But i think i dont have the eyes for making the right adjustments, I usually end up doing too much on the sliders and havent figured out a good step by step process, and have not got enough control. i guess practice takes time, and time takes time right? i have some more clarifications, thanks a million really. U have got me thinking on something i hadnt even considered as a pasttime let alone a serious hobby even two months back.

1. Why should i buy an external flash? only for the area it covers?
2. Do you use presets in your PP? Is it an unprofessional thing to do, cos sometimes it can give some very interesting effects, and my wife pointed to the screen last night and said thats cheating..., but seriously, is it cheating?
3. is there a step process for ligghtroom (I dont mean the workflow), like first adjust the exposure, then WB, then play with colours etc. or is it a decision I have to take on a case to case basis for each photograph.
4. During the course of discussion you mentioned that macro for ants is different from flowers? how? I like all kinds of macro
5. can i use extension tubes even with zoom lens, or only primes?

also dennis and algold, I cant have enough of it everyday, I just love the colours it captures.
woke up early yesterday and drove to the nearby forests at 4 in the morning am attching two snaps- one with post processing on an underexposed snap of a watch, and another macro with the 17-70 without PP. any inpts on either (PP and composition) i would really appreciate (I know its the wrong forum, but you people know where I stand, so I can get an educated opinion...warm regards.
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2009, 3:01 AM   #25

there is no chance of me coming up at 4am :lol:, doesn't matter how nice my camera is.
I've sent you a PM, as for processing I usually adjust WB and exposure first and the rest later (saturation, clarity, sharpness etc.). Don't think using presets and plug-ins is cheating. You can do all this the hard way - manually in LR or PS, but presets, actions and plug-ins save you a lot of time giving you good results faster.
If this is cheating - I can live with that :lol:
cheers,
Alex
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 5:16 AM   #26
Super Moderator

I highly recommend the Luminous-Landscape video tuturials.

http://store.luminous-landscape.com/...2aee40e5cc80a9

They cover everything about Lightroom and Jeff Schewe's knowledge on Lightroom is phenomenal. He is one of the central figures in the world of Photoshop and all things to do with Digital Photography.

You could buy a book at twice the price covering only a quarter as much.

Presets are very useful and are certainly not cheating unless you have some personal manifesto that forbids it. Lightroom allows you to create your own presets and save a lot of time that way.

You can use extension tubes with zooms, and with the advent of Live View it's suddenly a lot easier to use than it used to be. However, having a dedicated Macro is still best. A flower is different from a bug because it is usually 100 times larger, so for flowers the "Macro" ability of most modern lenses e.g 1:4 (or a quarter life size) is usually fine, but to get bugs you need 1:1 magnification or even more.

Last edited by peripatetic; May 24, 2009 at 5:19 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:57 AM   #27

Hi again! after so long I finally got down to shooting, and have out up my first set on flickr. Would love it if you people could check it out, cos you have been a very important part of my learning process. i'm kinda happy with the way Im doing, went and picked up a kenko extension tube set and a cpl as my first accessories. I am also close to getting thrown out of home in the meantime. im putting up the link, and thank you again for all the help!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmdcam View Post
Would love it if you people could check it out, cos you have been a very important part of my learning process.
I think you're off to a great start. You've got some great work here. The only small nit is a few of the images (path, tracks, sunset) are a bit too centered for my tastes. It jumps out because in the other images your composition works so much better. Still, great images and a very fine start.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:43 AM   #29

yeah ur right, i see the problem immediately. infact with the tracks pic i remember staring at it and wondering if it was actually a drag. it had to be the composition. thanks, thats encouraging stuff

Last edited by skmdcam; Jul 29, 2009 at 1:49 AM.