Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:47 AM   #1

Hi,

Am planning to buy a canon 40D brand new. Have a couple of questions-

Am able to get a a new one for about 1000 USD, the problem is that at that price in India the only place you get it is in the illegal market where they dont give a warranty or a bill.

If the piece is assured brand new what should I be checking for and what do i need to worry about?

1. Without a warranty, what problems can I face once i start using?

2. Like mobile phones, are there different make qualities in Canon cameras? I mean is there like a taiwan make, a chinese make etc? or if its a canon, do i reallynot haveto worry about that?

3. Is the 18-55 kit lens all that bad? I mean im upgrading from a sony p&s, and have been sweating it out in all these forums and have zeroed in on this even thought its out of my budget, so a new lens is really not there for me right now. If i still wanted to stretch it a bit further, what lens would you suggest I get, I will mainly be taking portraits, people fotos actually.

4. Is the 40D too much of a jump from a p&s, will it intimidate me? ive held it and tho i felt the 450 was lighter and easier, the 40d felt much more solid. If its a lifetime investment- aint I better off with a 40d?

5. It may not be a sealed pack when I buy it, again what problem should i foresee?

I have a lot more questions- these are priority. Thanks a bunch in advance, im sure its is sites like these that actually make photography so much more simpler for guys like us. great work, thanks again to everybody for writing in.
skmdcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2009, 2:28 AM   #2
djb

Why can't you buy brand new on the internet? some reputable online dealers are Adorama.com, amazon.com, bhphotovideo.com. They all come with a canon warranty. Oh, and these palces are not illegal.

1. no warranty.... if it breaks, within what would be the warranty period, you pay to have it fixed.

2. there used to be what was called "gray market" here in the USA and some times a warranty was not honored here in the USA. Gray market was for the japanese designated products.

3. I have the 40D but, not the 18-55mm kit lens. I've heard and seen good things and also, not so good as far as quality. Remember it's basically a $100 lens (as a kit). Good glass is better with a lesser dSLR than bad or mediocre glass with a more advanced dSLR. So, you maight want to get an EOS Rebel model and better glasss. The 85mm is an excellent lens for portraits or general use photography but, expensive.

4. Don't know what p&s you have (some are as sofisticated as a dSLR) so I can't tell if the 40D is too much of a jump.

5. An unsealed pack (assuming you mean an open box or refurbished) can be a defective camera or just a customer return unused. Could be a demo. Problems? same as with a new one.

As a note on lenses, you can get excellent glass in non-Canon lenses. Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make some excelent glass and a great deal less expensive than Canon.

I really like my 40D. I started with a 20D and bought that as the Rebel series was a bit too small for me and it was more cumbersome to get around in the menus. And, it did feel more solid.

Hope that helos a little.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 5:24 AM   #3

yeah thanks a lot.

I forgot to mention that I really like macro shots and to play with depth of field- what single lens can i use for good portraits (people shots) and decent macro, both of course with good sharpness? could you give me a few options, cos not all are available here.

im somehow leaning towards the 40D personally, so like you said I need something that suits the proficiency of the body, even if it means waiting sometime for a lens.

I was using a sony low end p&s and its really frustrating when you have to go thru a tedious menu for any change in settings, thats why i want an slr which has the wheels and other functions at ur fingertips. will the 40d be too much of a jump- i dont want to be thinking of another camera preferably for life, id rather be investing in lenses.

85mm prime? does that mean that there is no zoom in and out whatsoever? isnt thatrestrictive when ur taking indoor shots? isnt it better to have something with some kind of zooming in it considering im a beginner? or would a 50mm be better off for me? pls advice.

and thanks a million for the response. .....i think im gonna trouble u guys for sometime to come
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:11 PM   #4
djb

If you really want to do true macro (1:1), I woud suggest a dedicated macro lens. I have the Sigma 150mm and since, I haven't kept up much with what's out there. for a 40D the 150mm is really too long for portraits (meaning head & shoulders type shots) and indoor shots. For a 40D and portraits I wouldn't go much more than a85 or 90mm. For dual purpose (macro and portraits) Sigma makes a 70mm macro, Tamron makes a 90m macro, Cann has a a 60mm and a 100 mm macro. Also, for non-true macro, Sigma makes a 17-70mm zoom with a 1:2.3 macro & a 18-50mm with 1:3 macro capabilities. Tamron has a 28-75mm with 1:4 macro. Now for really cover almost all ranges there's the Tamron 28-299mm with 1:4 magnification and sigma has a 28-300mm with 1:3 magnification. These are all quite inexpensive (approx. $300 - $400) and in most cases you get what you pay for. The dedicated macros seem to be in the $400 - $450 range. Knowing my needs, I would opt for a dedicae macro and a wide angle zoom. Canon makes a 17-85mm zoom with IS (approx $500) and Tamron has a 18-270mm with 1:4 magnification (approx. $600). The 50mm prime is a veery good general purpose lens. It would be a good portrait lens as it will give a 35mm equivalent of 80mm with the 40D. All mention of lenses and prices came from BHphotovideo.com. You have internet access. Look up some of the camera/lens manufacturers and see what they offer. Then go shopping for prices you can afford. Oh, if you don't need 5fps and some other features you might want to go back and consider the Rebel sries.Most are $200- $300 cheaper than the 40D. that gives you extra $$$$ for better glass. Remember, camera bodies are upgraded every 1 to 3 yrs. Good to excellent glass is not updated very often (10-20 yrs or more). What makes a good picture is the photographer mostly. But, a good photographer with better glass will most likely produce better quality than one with lesser glass. Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

dennis
Old Mar 29, 2009, 1:11 PM   #5
djb

oops!! double post. deleted.

dennis

Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:29 AM   #6

Grey Market from Adorama(or Direct Import to give its true name) is actually a good, reliable way of purchasing for out of US customers because On direct import products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the USA warranted products carry for a period of one year. The only difference is that you would need to ship it to Adorama for warranty service.

There is no difference in the actual products. Occasionally manufacturers will name them differently for example the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe. Canon does produce gear in Korea, as do many manufacturers - to cut labor costs. We have had issues with customers who believe that Korea = less good quality, but if it's Canon it's Canon!

I hope this helps.

If you have any further queries regarding any aspect of Adorama Camera, or AdoramaPix, please do not hesitate to contact me directly:

Sincerely

Helen Oster

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

www.adorama.com

HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:51 AM   #7

thanks dennis, uve put it rather very clearly.

1. why cant i use the 50mm prime as a macro lens? with 1.8 wont it serve as a macro lens too?

ok im gonn take this bit further..can u tell me what im doing wrong...

option 1> i'll buy the 40d with a 50mm 1.8 II now, wait fora year and get the canon 17-85mm good quality lens later, maybe next year. In the meanwhile ill can usethe 50mmas a good walk around lens for portraits and macro (i can, right?) and make do with the kit lens(which i really dint like when trying out)

option2: buy the 450d, with 50mm 1.8 and the 17-85 mm zoom lens/ or 60mm macro which can work as a portrait lens too.

phew!

just give me the combination u would take(with prices here in usd equivalent)-

1. canon 450d ($825)

2. canon 40d (1000)

3. 50mm 1.8 (100)

4. 17-85mm 4.5-6 (600)

5. 60mm macro canon (450)

i just have about 1000 or 1100 usd, lets say.

thanks again,ur wonderful
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:50 AM   #8
djb

First: Thank you Helen!!!!!

skmdcam 1. you can use the 50mm as a macro with either extension tubes or macro lens that screws on the front of the 50mm (or both together) or with a lens reversing ring.

Do wrong?? Not sure what you mean. I don't think you're doing anything wrong by asking questions.

Okay, the difficult part. you can get a new 450d (XSi) for $580 (body only) or $692 with the kit lens at BHphotovideo. Probably the same at Adorama. I' dealt with both and they are excellent dealers!!!! A new 40D (body only) $890. Don't know what it would be to ship to where you are. But, definitely don't buy ilegally like you mentioned in your 1st post!

I just want you to remember that my type of photography (nature) calls for different equipment.

As a beginning dSLR buyer, I still recommend a slightly lesser camera and better glass! The 40D is an excellent camera. Do you need 6.5 fps? I think the menu system is a tad easier to get around than the 450D but, may be mistaken. But if you notice the prices of cameras decrease as they get older (time in production) but, lenses don't.

As for the 50mm if you get the 17-85, you won't need the 50mm as you ccan handle that focal length with the zoom.

Not considering my type f photography, I would opt for the 450D, 17-85mm zoom and for a dedicated macro, either a sigma 70mm or tamron 90mm (both, as are 99% of macros, extremely sharp). This would probably set you back about $1300 to $1400 maybe a bit less. If you go 40D and these lenses, add another $200 or so.

Photgraphy can be quite expensive, unfortunately. :roll:

Hope you're not too confused. that's about it for now.

dennis

Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:12 PM   #9

When you are on a limited budget a lesser camera body with better lenses beats a better body with a not so good lens any time. In your shoes I would be seriously considering getting a 450D with a new 18-55IS kit lens and a Canon 55-250IS lens or Sigma 70-300 APO Macro DG lens. The image quality of 450D and 40D is about the same in many situation. Another option is to get a 40D body with Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro lens, not a true macro, but a very decent lens and quite a lot cheaper than Canon 17-85 IS.

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2009, 5:22 AM   #10

thanks dennis and algold. I would like some more clarifications-

i'm hell bent on the 40D, i liked it better than the 450 at the store yesterday, felt more solid and i dont want to be camera hunting for at least 7-8 years. i'd rather buid on the lens system. i really hope thats notabad decisionin any way...

so considering im going in for that-

1. can i know the quality parameters for the lenses u mentioned. even if budget's not a constraint, are sigma and tamron good lenses to be with?

on a sharpness and picture quality scale how would you rank the three brands?

canon, sigma and tamron

2. do all these lense brandsfit all canon cameras? or do i need to check it out in particular?

3. i need to plan out my lens buying also- so what is the transition i should take?

i love wildlife and landscape too- just that i dont do so much travel and more family snaps so its second on list

4. if i get a macro lens say 50mm or 70mm, and since it serves as a good portrait lens too, whywould u suggest a 17-85 or 28-135 (which are essentially portrait distances, right?)?

5. these 200 mm or above lenses are good only for wildlife? or can i also do regular street or indoor photography too?

im very lost on sites with lens information- there are so many choices and so many price ranges, im not able to organise them in my mind as to the quality aspects and create a match with my requirements. im quite tired of all this browsing and rather spend my time taking photographs and learning the soft skills. thanks a million