Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2003, 1:11 PM   #21
NHL

... Oh so thoses are horizontal steps! :lol: :lol: :lol:
you can clearly see the right 1/2 sharper than the left 1/2 (ie upper step) just check the front pebbles beside the concrete texture as compared to the rear ones. 8)

I would say this camera has the AF points misaligned to the right or placed in the camera's viewfinder slightly off to the right center of every focus points.

So did you sent this camera back to Canon for adjustments?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2003, 9:05 PM   #22

I loaded the pictures up again.

These are not 100% crops, but complete images reduced. That makes it harder to detect focusing problems. I do agree that the camera is not focusing with the AF point in the center of the DOF (and it won't, its not designed to.) It seems to be focusing near the back (i.e. there never seems to be any point behind the used AF point that is in focus) but the larger support under the AF point seems to be on the edge of focus in the second third, and forth ones.

The first one... ya, maybe that support should be more in focus. To me, because the bars to the right are in shadow, I'm having trouble deciding if its details are more in focus than the support bar.

The milk bottone shot does nothing for me. At the reduced size, the bottle themselves show too little detail for me. The wooden cross supports seem to show that the middle two are in focus. Again, that means that its within the DOF, but its offset to the right.

I didn't load them into PS because they aren't 100% crops. Once you reduce the image sharpness becomes harder to detect (humm... doesn't reducing make the image seem sharper? If so, that would mean that the DOF is larger than it would actually be in the originals. If true, then I'm more willing to buy there is a focus problem.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:49 AM   #23

nhl,

I took the camera back and got a replacement, haven't fully tested it yet but it works OK with charts.

Eric,

They are 100% from the camera, but not displayed as such, just download them (right click, save as etc). They had the AF points put on and then compressed to save space / time.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 11:53 AM   #24

What resolution were you using? The direct-from-camera pictures from my 10D are much larger than those. Did you work at a lower resolution? They sure look reduced to me.

I hope this new camera body works better. Having a camera that does't AF correctly is really frustrating (I dislike it when mine stops trying to AF, but doesn't claim its actually locked focus. So I have to change the focus by hand and then repress the shutter. Frustrating.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:57 AM   #25

The size is the largest, jpeg minimum compression (compressed later), should be 3074 x 2048 (PSP 7 appears to have a bug of losing the odd pixel so it's actually 3073 x 2048). The website is set to show the picture at 90% of the screen width, but if you save the pictue it will be the full size.

I agree a camera that doesn't AF well is very frustrating, as I said earlier worse than just having MF. I've had Canon cameras for years, AE1, T90, EOS1N, EOS3, Powershot 600, Pro70, S10, G1 and this is the only one with a problem like this, disappointing if they can't resolve it satisfactory. Hopefully the new one will be better.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 10:13 AM   #26

OK, the pictures should have been 3072 x 2048, PSP7 gains a pixel.

I've now tried my new (replacement) EOS10D and it definitely appears better, new test pictures at www.knighttrain.freeserve.co.uk. The first 2 show the AF working well and it seems more reliable at focussing, with the target area in focus, the 3rd one demonstrates it's not fool-proof if the target is low contrast and then it appears to front focus. I'm happier with it now but still wary it can be fooled.