Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:18 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Hi Ann,

I used to use a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 before getting the Canon 70-200 f2.8and Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 which are both a lot better lenses but then they cost a lot more. The only problem with a 200mm lens is range, it is a bit short but if you are patient and wait for the shots to come to you then you can work with it. As mentioned you can add a 1.4x TC to give more range when not under the lights.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:38 AM   #12

Greetings, Mark. It's been a year since you gave me the advice, but I'm finally breaking down and buying a better lens. I still can't afford the main one you recommended - the Sigma - but I decided to go for the tele EF 70-200 f/s8L IS USM autofocus. I know you said it might not get close enough on soccer action, but I have been learning to wait for action on my side of the field anyway, so I dont' think that will be a hindrance. My biggest issue at present is the poor stadium light on several of the fields here. I take about 6 shots, then put my camera away because I'm so frustrated. I'm missing all the action during my twins' last year of high school. Plus, we have graduation coming up in a few weeks and I better get good shots of that or my family will kick me out of the house! So enough is enough. I'm going for it.

Question...Would it be worth investing in the 1.4x EF Extender II TC?

I greatly appreciate your advice a year ago and I love the 50D, and so do the parents on my boys' teams.
tahuichimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Hi, welcome back, and you are very welcome.

Which Canon lens did you mean..... I think something got missed in the typing. Did you mean the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS? If so then unless you are shooting other things like weddings or other low light situations (non sport) then save the money and get the non IS version. It is a bit sharper and for sports shooting you won't use IS. I think it's about $600 less which is a nice sum to save and put towards the next piece of kit. If this is the lens you are talking about then you can be helped out for extra reach in well lit games with the 1.4x TC, and then when you need the better light you can restrict yourself to shooting closer.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:55 AM   #14

Ha. Yes, I had a typo in my note. I did mean the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS. I'm surprised with what you said about IS. Are you saying it doesn't make much difference because non-IS is actually sharper? I guess because soccer (futbol!) is almost all action, the stability is not as important? I was going to go with the non-IS and then my husband (who doesn't do photos) said that if I was going to buy the lens, I should spend the extra to get the IS. It is about $500 difference at B&H Photo which is where I have bought almost all my equipment. To be honest, I don't do a whole lot of indoor or portrait. Once again you are giving me great advice and thanks for the fast response also!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Super Moderator

IS will only assist you when your shutter speeds are low and where camera shake comes into play. At the shutter speeds you should be getting for sports (minimum 1/400s but hopefully quite a bit faster) then the IS is not helping.... actually as it tries to stop movement it can hurt a shot where you've wanted to follow the action and it hasn't done so. Obviously you can turn IS off (I do when I use this lens for sports) but if you don't need the feature then I wouldn't spend the extra (I shoot weddings). Also, the non IS is a bit sharper, this is why JohnG (probably are best sports shooter by quite a way) has the non IS version of the 70-200.

If you do think you will need IS in the future then go for IS version as obviously it can't be added but to me it sounds like that money is better used else where..... a good flash???

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:52 PM   #16

I placed my order for the non IS and used the "left-over" money for some filters and an extended warranty. I'm excited and can't wait to see how differently my shots come out.

Your comments about the IS make complete sense and very logical had I thought about it. Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:58 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Great, I'm sure you will love it!!!! Make sure you post some photos of some action once you get it.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:09 PM   #18

mark, thanx for the info on the IS use for sports. i wasn't aware that it actually may make things worse. but its good to know if for nothing else than the savings