Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:52 PM   #1

I have a Canon EOS-20D that has been faithful for the years I have had it but recently I have started having problems with it. First, a couple of months ago I started having problems with reading the jpg files off the CF card. I have a work-around for that, but my most recent problem is not getting resolved.

While taking photos of a soccer event on Thursday night, the shutter began to repeatedly release without the shutter button being pressed. I removed the battery, waited a few seconds, replaced the battery and it began again, even without the camera being turned on, although it eventually stopped until I turned the camera on and then it began again. I tried different batteries and I tried leaving the battery out more than 24 hours.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, is there anything else I can try? Would a NEW battery make any difference?

2. Assuming I will have to get the camera serviced (it is obviously out of warranty, can anyone recommend someone in the state of Oklahoma or Dallas area who could take a look at it?

BTW, I guess I'll HAVE to buy the new EOS-50D , but I still want to try to get this one repaired.

tahuichimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:17 PM   #2

KEH Camera in Atlanta has a good repair shop. Good people to do business with.
I would doubt if its the shutter causing the problem you are having. Has the camera been exposed to high humidity or gotten wet? Aside from that, my guess is it's a board or board to board connect ribbon in the shutter release circuit.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3

I had the same thing happen about a month ago while shooting surfers...
Not an overly humid day and the winds were down the beach and not on shore...
But enough humidity and salty air non the less...I had just shot a 6 or 8 frame burst when the camera kept going...Turned it off, it wouldn't turn off...Ended up taking the battery out to stop it...Put the battery back in, and it hasn't done it since...A strange thing as well....No image was recorded after I took my finger off the shutter button even though the camera seemed to keep shooting...I have been using this camera for years on and around the beach so maybe the moisture and salt have finally started to effect it....I tend to agree with shadokachr, something circuit related...Unless your in love with the 20D, I am not sure it would be worth the cost to fix it...Mine has been a trusty and faithful friend, but when its done, its done...Also, the 100,000 shutter life thing is probably coming up and that will be another issue...
Get a 50D...$1000.00 at B&H.....
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply, Shadokacher. Neither the camera nor lense have gotten wet - I' ve been very careful about that. I don't think humidity would be a factor because it doesn't get that humid in Oklahoma. The possibility that it is the board does not sound like a good thing!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback, John-at-the-Beach. I ordered a 50D today, which of course I am excited about. I just didn't want to spend the money right now! I like B&H (bought the 20D from them) but this time I bought elsewhere...we'll see how that goes.

I do a LOT of soccer pictures - not just for my own family but even for a tournament in Bolivia. I guess it is possible I hit 100,000 mark, or am close anyway. Didn't even think about that. We have 3 games this week and other families keep asking me about photos, so I'm having the new camera overnighted...

Thanks for the advice and your thoughts...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:38 PM   #6
Super Moderator

tahuichimomI would just like to formally welcome you to Steve's and say sorry that it is at a time of you needing a new camera due to problems.

I would love to see some of your work with both the 20D and the new 50D when you get it. We have a specific Sports & Action Photossection for you to post these which is great for sharing with others and also leaning from our experienced sports shooters.

I'm sure you are going to love the 50D. Which lens do you work with for your football shots?

Happy shooting,

Mark

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:56 PM   #7

Thanks, Mark!

Well, I got my new camera today - 50D - got my batteries charged and I'm ready for the soccer games tonight!

The lenses I use are the "standard issue" Canon EFS 18-55mm with UV filter and the Canon IS 75-300 with UV filter. I use the 75-300 zoom for most sports pics, but use the wide angle at various times as well - for example for some of the after game celebrations, and for 3v3 games where the zoom is just too close up. I would love one of those "white things" but the budget is not there yet!

So I continue in my amateur way and just have fun with it. I didn't know about the sports forum. I took a look at it today and it looks great. I'm going now to put some of my photos out there.

I guess I've given up on the 20D - don't even know if it is worth fixing, but if it is, I would like to use it for my wide angle lens, instead of having to swap lenses at a moments notice.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:58 PM   #8

John-at-the-Beach, after you mentioned the shutter life, I did some research on that and found that other had the exact same symptoms as mine and that is exactly what it is. Most say you can fix it but it may not be worth it because it usually means the camera has "lived its life." I normally upgrade before I get to that point, but the budget hasn't permitted so that's why I finally got there. Today I have received my new 50D and will use it tonight at my twin sons' soccer game!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Congratulations on getting your new Camera, I'm sure you are a happy man.

There are some great lens options out there that will be worth considering when it comes to replacing the 75-300. I'm sorry to say that the Canon 75-300 is probably the lowest quality of the 70-300mm zooms out there, so just imagine where you can go when the budget is there with even better glass .

Things to consider if you are not shooting under the lights are the Canon 70-300mm IS USM, Sigma 100-300mm f4 (soooo sweet), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 (probably too short really for soccer but you can use a 1.4x TC to give a bit more reach). After this the money really jumps up to things like the Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 (my personal lens of choice for sports work), a Canon 300mm f2.8 and the daddy, the Canon 400mm f2.8 (not ideal with a 1.6x crop camera but lovely glass).

For now just enjoy the new body, I'm sure you will and I'm looking forward to seeing some results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:13 AM   #10

I REALLY appreciate your thoughts on the lenses... And, well, I WAS going to invest in a new lens BEFORE my 20D went out, so that is now where the money had to go, but that is life! Regardless, if you think the lens will make that much of a difference, I might suck it up and invest in one of the ones you first mentioned...Not today, but in a few months. Would the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 be OK under the lights? I shoot both day and night and in HS soccer, the field lights are not always that great. I have a Canon speedlite 580EX that I use sometimes.

I'm self employed and right after I posted the note that I would add some of my shots to the sports discussion board, I got a call from a business associate, and then I had to rush out the door for last night's game. So I'm not going to post photos from my 20D and from last night with the new50D.

Have a GREAT DAY! Ann.