Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:41 PM   #1

Hi, I have a digital rebel xti about a 14 months old and I want to sell it to upgrade. I am going to look at either the Nikon D60 or the new Canon that is coming out that is going to have video capability.

The camera I have is the silver body with the standard Canon lens EFS 18-55. I also have a Tamron 18-200 Lens. XR DI II.

Do you think I should sell the Camera and lens separately or together? What should I ask fro the package? Or what should I sell it separately for?

Where would you recommend me selling the camera?
sseligson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:28 AM   #2
Administrator

My guess is that you won't get more than around $400 for the XTi with the 18-55mm kit lens..

keh.com (a reputable vendor of used gear) has the black XTi (which is more desirable) with a kit lens for $465 in EX condition. keh has very conservative ratings and offers a 60 day warranty on used gear.

Canon XTi kits at keh.com

As for the Tamron 18-200mm, my guess is that it would sell for around $200 used (I see keh.com has the Sigma 18-200mm for $199 in EX condition now, but they don't have any used Tamron 18-200mm lenses in stock).

As for where to sell, we do not allow for sale posts in our forums. So, please do not solicit offers here.

I'd either go the Ebay route, use Craigs List, or consider selliing them to a vendor. You're not going to get as much selling them to a vendor (since they have to make a profit when they resell the gear). But, you may be able to work out a trade-in arrangement on different gear.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:41 AM   #3

Do you think it makes more sense to sell separately or together?
sseligson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:53 AM   #4
Administrator

I don't know. You may want to search through completed listings on Ebay to get a better feel for the market and what they're selling for both ways (in a package or separately). Keep in mind that the vendor's reputation/feedback will also impact what price a given item will bring (since buyers may be hesitant to deal with someone that doesn't have a good reputation for delivering what is listed).

Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5

There are a number of photography forums that have buy/sell/trade topics, but most people are a little cautious about buying from a new seller. You could at least check the going prices with them.
As for selling separately or together, you have to find a buyer that wants what you have, and the more you are trying to sell, the less likely that someone wants it all.

Craigs list might be the best because it would most likely be an in person deal, and that lets people at least try it out first.

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Administrator

There are a few forums around with buy/sell sections. The buy/sell forum at fredmiranda.com comes to mind for Canon gear.

The forums here don't have lot of hard and fast rules. We want the forums to be a friendly community of members sharing photos, ideas and other information about photography. But, we really don't want the forums turning into a big flea market for buying and selling gear.

That's why wanted and for sale posts are specifically mentioned in the confirmation e-mail members receive when joining, so that we don't get those types of posts here:

"Please do not post For Sale or Want to Buy topics here, this is not a marketplace like eBay"

It's very difficult to police, since we'd have scammers posting (both buyers and sellers), commercial entities posing as individuals, hard feelings between members when deals go sour and/or equipment isn't as expected and more. It's often tough to "draw the line" at what's spam and what's not in many cases, too (and if you allow a "borderline spam" post from one member, another may complain about not allowing their posts). So, we don't allow for sale posts to avoid those types of problems.

There are pros and cons to any approach. ;-)