Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:15 AM   #1

Okay...so with out money entering the eqation, I am looking for insight, opinions and help in making my decision. I own the Original Digital Rebel....which I have worn out.

1) Most of my use will be in Son's Rugby League, Daughters volleyball (high school and club) with the minority of use going toward travel and family events.

2) I realize that the upgraded 50D has some features that will make the indoor shots with difficult lighting, less of an issue, but it seams that side by side comparisons of shots taken with each show an image that my "unproffesional" eye prefers in the 40D ...? Not sure why.

And...

3) I can get either of them at local shops, but will save money if I buy from Adorama or B&H with the lack of sales tax and a slightly lower overall price. I have never purchased anything except accessories from either shop and wondered about customer service for warranty issues? Is it worth the extra money to buy at a local shop for the benefit of local help with potential repairs or problems during the warranty period?

Hopefully with input from the experienced folks here...I can reach a decision so I can replace my worn out 300D

Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 6:09 PM   #2

Be very careful of the "untrained eye," Becky. Shots from the 50D, being larger, require more downsizing to be viewed on a web site.

I had a 40D. I loved it! Then I read dpreview's unflattering review of the 50D. I did not and do not believe Canon has ever, or will ever release a dud! So I was curious...

Next I saw a 50D with a new 28-135 IS lens (my all-around favorite!) for $1,119 at Circuit City's going out of business sale. That gave me insurance - I could have sold the 50D on Ebay, and probably made a little money. I bit.

It was the 40D that left...

This, right here, is what we're talking... provided you know what to do with it .)

Attached Images

TheDigitalMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 6:19 PM   #3

add a liberal dose of photoshop, and...

Attached Images

TheDigitalMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the info....

I did finally decide after much reading of reviews not by tech geeks but by photographers actually using the cameras.... I went with the 50D. I've only had it for a week or so and have waded through the manual to familiarize myself with the new options and locations of menus, buttons etc. This camera feels amazing in my hands. It certainly is fast! Moving from the Original Digital Rebel to this is like moving from a Toyota to a Merceds.

Hopefully, with some practice, I'll make the most out of the features it offers.

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:36 PM   #5

Sorry but i would never sell my 40D to buy a 50D.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:46 AM   #6

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Sorry but i would never sell my 40D to buy a 50D.
Same here.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Is it worth the extra money to buy at a local shop for the benefit of local help with potential repairs or problems during the warranty period?
The answer is - NO. There is no on-site repair work - repairs are sent in to Canon service regardless of where you bought the camera from. The only incentive to buy locally is to support your local economy.

As to the 40d vs. 50d: Lots of happy 40d users. In looking at other sites I have not encountered a single sports photographer that has owned both that prefers the 40d. There are people who chose not to upgrade but for those who did, I have yet to see a post stating the 50d was in any way a step backward. The 50d has more per-pixel noise but it has more pixels. The important fact is at ISO 6400, after running through noise reduction you have very usable photos. The 40d can't do that. I don't own either, but as a sports shooter if I were buying I'd buy the 50d
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote