Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Super Moderator

I have a couple of concerns:

1. Don't get too caught up in choosing the "best" lens. There isn't one. They all make trade-offs according to which of the various parameters they are designed to optimise.

2. Because you don't have the budget to buy the most expensive lenses you seem like the kind of person who may tend to blame the equipment if your results are not what you were hoping for. When moving from a P&S your results are probably going to disappoint you for a while until you get the hang of using a more complex instrument. If you stick with it they will get better and surpass what you could achieve with the P&S, but it is unlikely to happen immediately. Do not be tempted to think that your results are worse because you bought the wrong equipment. This temptation will be very strong.

Now some advice:

1. Because you are not buying the most expensive equipment I strongly recommend a software upgrade to whatever lenses you do buy. This will tend to equalize them to the point where it really won't matter too much what lens you get, optically speaking. If you use DXO then forget about CA, distortion, vignetting and sharpness (to some degree at least).

http://www.dxo.com/uk/photo/dxo_optics_pro

2. That leaves range, IS, AF speed and aperture to worry about. On those grounds I would go for the 17-85. It has good range, good AF speed, good build quality, good Image Stabilization. The only thing it doesn't have is a very wide aperture, but you never get that if you are going for range anyway. QC tends to go hand in hand with price.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:56 PM   #12

One thing I can tell you is not all lenses of the same kind are of the same quality - far, far from it! :| Having said that, I highly recommend the 28-135 IS - provided you get a good copy. This is a very popular lens, and with god reason. It matches or beats "L" glass, when judged soly on the basis of image quality.

A pic is worth a thousand words...

Attached Images

TheDigitalMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:58 PM   #13

and another
Attached Images

Old Apr 22, 2009, 1:29 AM   #14

Had a similar situation some time ago. I use a 400D and, like you, take mostly family photos and candid.

I went through the Canon 28-135, Canon 50f1.8, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Sigma 18-125 OS, Tamron 28-300 VC.

Gave up on the Canons: 28 was not wide enough for a walk-around lens, the 50f1.8 was focus-hunting a lot on low light.

Sigma 17-70: sharp specially on portraits. But the 70 was not long enough for walk-around and does not have OS (Image Stabilization in Sigma terms)

Sigma 18-50f2.8: a keeper - quiet and fast focusing in low light, sharp also

Tamron 18-300 VC: a keeper - has VC (Image Stabilization in Tamron terms), sharp pics, will also work on FF sensors

Sigma 18-125 OS: a keeper and my walk-around lens. 18mm on the wide and 125 on the long are just right for about 90% of my needs. Not too good for low light but, then, I have the 430ex flash for this.

Here's a sample 100% crop, 18mm, f5.6, 1/1600, ISO 400:

Attached Images

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:27 AM   #15

TheDigitalMage wrote:
Quote:
Having said that, I highly recommend the 28-135 IS - provided you get a good copy. This is a very popular lens, and with god reason. It matches or beats "L" glass, when judged soly on the basis of image quality.
OK - I'd like to address this. I shot with the 28-135 for years and I've shot with a number of L lenses. The 28-135 is a very fine lens - a very good consumer lens. But, the concept of it matching or beating L glass on IQ just isn't true. This was my walk-around lens until I replaced it with the 24-105. The 24-105 is better in every respect.But that's to be expected - it's much more expensive. IQ wise, the 28-135 is on par with the 17-85 and the 18-55 kit lenses. The biggest drawback with the lens is 28mm on an APS-C sensor is not very wide. Depending on your style of photography thatcould makeit a poor choice for a walk-around lens. But that depends solely on your style of photography. If the focal length works for you than you can expect IQ to be similar to the other lenses.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:38 PM   #16

"IQ wise, the 28-135 is on par with the 17-85 and the 18-55 kit lenses."

I really don't care how many moderators you are... that statement is a) the product of you getting a poor copy of this lens (and Canon is famous for that, in my experience) or b) you trying to produce revenue for Canon.

Here's an "L" lens

and here's the 28-105 - a GOOD copy of it

[img]mageproductions.com/not_l.jpg[/img]

Talk is talk....
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:54 PM   #17

TheDigitalMage wrote:
Quote:

and here's the 28-105 - a GOOD copy of it
Can you clarify which lens you're talking about?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:10 PM   #18

hello
i too am kinda new to slr photgraphy
i presently have the 18-55mm and its a nice little lens and it came with my xsi kit
however the zoom cannot reach if your at the zoo or an event
its wide though and the landscape shots are good
i bought the 28-135 and its my walk about lens.... a tad too wide but i just step back a foot or so and recompose and even though not a lot of zoom its enough to get you close enough
but look at the sigma 18-125.....if it has OS then go for it.......cos it is wide enough and probably has enough zoom to get you the shot
later a IS 700-300mm could be added on
be sure to go to a store with your camera and memory card and test the lenses
tamron and sigma have 70-300mm non stabilized lenses for under 300 bucks
good luck
pete
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 2:19 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
I really don't care how many moderators you are... that statement is a) the product of you getting a poor copy of this lens (and Canon is famous for that, in my experience) or b) you trying to produce revenue for Canon.
LOL.

How did Canon become "famous" for that in "your experience". Very confusing. Famous in your own mind? You might want to research the concept of sample size.

P.S. If you have been recently been banned from DPReview you're not likely to find this place very hospitable.

Insulting our kind and helpful moderators (many of whom are in line for Digital Camera Sainthood) is not a way to prove that you are big or clever, just a way to make everyone dislike you and hope you leave.

Unless of course you can come up with some original insults. The old "you must make money from Canon" conspiracy thing is so worn-out by now. Ditto with the "bad copy" trump card to support your argument and thus render it impervious to any evidence. Let's have something new and exciting please. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:12 AM   #20

I had the 17-85 IS that i enjoyed but then i sold it as well as my 70-300 IS and bought the Tamron 18-270 VC that is a pretty good lens, and i also bought the Tamron 17-50 that is super sharp constant f/2.8 a very good indoor lens as well
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote