Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:58 AM   #21

TheDigitalMage wrote:
Quote:
I really don't care how many moderators you are... that statement is a) the product of you getting a poor copy of this lens (and Canon is famous for that, in my experience) or b) you trying to produce revenue for Canon.
Monte,

I can assure the people reading this I am no schill for Canon. In fact my most used lens isn't even a Canon lens at all.

I must point out that you're going to have a rough go of it here if when other experienced photographers disagree with you about equipment your answer is either "you're lying to schill for the company or you had a bad version". The 28-135 is a very nice consumer lens. But in all honesty you are the only person I have ever seen state that they have used a comparable focal length L lens and th 28-135 and the 28-135 meets or exceeds the L in quality. It doesn't make the 28-135 a bad lens at all. Just that having used the lens I disagree with your assertion.

Again, my experience is different than yours. And, I actually have owned 2 different 28-135s (one was damaged) and they both performed the same. Neither of them was as good optically as the 24-105 I'm using now. That's fine that you have a different opinion. But you're a bit new here to be calling my credibility into question. And credibility has nothing to do with being a moderator but everything to do with hands-on photography experience.I'd like to consider this part of the discussion closed - if you wish to discuss my credibility please send me a PM and I'll be glad to continue the discussion.

For purposes of illustration I might suggest that in the future if you're going to show 2 photos you:

A) use the same aperture

B) use the same focal length

C) use the same framing

D) Again don't alter the photos in any way

E) might suggest taking photos at widest and longest focal length wide open - usually where you'll notice the differences in IQ.

F) if you're going to use a control lens - please specify which lens (i.e. in your post you just said it was an 'L' lens but not which one).

I bring these up here because I think they're relevant to the discussion of choosing a lens and you offered comparison shots betwen two lenses which can be useful.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Administrator

If you want to debate the quality of one lens over another, fine. But, we're going to insist that members remain civil (i.e., leave personal comments directed towards other members out of discussions here).

As JohnG suggested, you may also want to compare lenses using similar settings for focal length and aperture so that you're using more controlled conditions.

You were zoomed in so that more than 4 times the pixels were representing your subject in the photo taken with the 28-135mm versus the one taken with the other lens. That's not exactly a controlled conditions comparison. ;-)

Each time you halve your focal length (or move twice as far from your subject), you end up with only 1/4 the pixels representing that subject (and you were zoomed in a lot more with the 28-135mm so that the subject was filling a much greater percentage of the frame).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:29 PM   #23

I'm afraid L lenses are above the OP's budget. We are talking about a consumer grade lens here folks.
Mage, imho having the most expensive camera and lenses doesn't prevent you from taking crappy pictures. Sorry to say it, both of your examples are far from perfect. I do have a 'good copy' of 28-105 3.5-4.5 and it's a very nice lens, but it's not a match for L glass and you don't expect it to be at about 5x price difference, unless you only shoot at f8, ISO10 in good light, never print it larger than 10x15cm and only use your images at web resolution.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:04 PM   #24

Ah yes... it's not what they say, it's what they don't say.

Whether identical or not, the images I uploaded tell the tale. And you might notice nobody even tried to say differently. They blew smoke, instead.

If you think you can buy it - great - go buy it. And, should the wind bring the whisper "Look! Look! The Emperor has new clothes!" just ignore it. After all, your money makes you ALL you are, and buys all you have... Sugar Daddy roflmao !!
TheDigitalMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 4:24 PM   #25

may be try to be civil for a change? because you are not very good at being funny.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:54 PM   #26

I'm not being funny. Just anti-social, that's all - lol

It goes back to the days of records and the die-hards that did not ditch the scratchy old things on cue. I used to a/b a CD and a record (with the volume carefully matched) and the "purists" would pick the CD, every time!

better build quality... weather-proofing... I can go for all that. But better IQ? I say NOT NECESSARILY. I'm for sure not blind. I say "Watch how the colors change when we carry this outside.." all the time. I see blank looks from the people I say it to - they don't see the colors change, and I know it.

If there is any IQ to be gained a computer is probably required, in order to detect it.

I say again - The Emperor Has New Clothes.

And, if not, post images to support your case. I have.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:43 AM   #27

skmdcam, to try and get this thread back on topic, I use the sigma 17-70 lens and I love it. It is very sharp, the AF is quick and quiet. Althought there is some lens distortion at the 17-20mm range, it's not bad . B&H has it for $339.00 w/ free shipping right now. It also has 44 customer reviews. I would highly recommend you look into this lens, and the other ones mentioned to see which one suits your needs and budget the best.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...;Q=*&bhs=t

Also there is a webpage that tests and reviews lenses called Photozone.de It has great information and since all the lenses they review are borrowed from average folks like you and me, and not the lenses companies, the reviews are very fair.

http://photozone.de/

Mugmar

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:05 PM   #28

heya mug .) how u b?

what kinda critter izat? is it real?

looks like something that lurks, at the bottom of a bottle of mescal ... ???
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If you cannot get stunning images from the 450D/40D + 18-55 IS the reason is behind the camera, not in front of it. :-)
Myself currently owned 500D + 18-55Kit + 50 1.8. Love both lenses.
My quick question, does Canon 17-85mm give wider angel than the kit lense? I'm new and I love landscape photography. 85mm is good enough for me as I dont really go for zoom shot.
eilfikluz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:30 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilfikluz View Post
Myself currently owned 500D + 18-55Kit + 50 1.8. Love both lenses.
My quick question, does Canon 17-85mm give wider angel than the kit lense? I'm new and I love landscape photography. 85mm is good enough for me as I dont really go for zoom shot.
it gives a very slightly wider angle, but not significant.

you may look into an ultrawide, such as

canon's 10-22 EFS
tokina 12-24 f4 or 11-16 f2.8
sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote