Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:08 AM   #11

No I am not shooting in raw.
booradly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:35 AM   #12
Administrator

booradly wrote:
Quote:
I am sure it is with or without the flash because it happened outside the other day with no flash. Also I mistyped. I actually have the extreme III.
That's a good card (Sandisk Extreme III), unless it's a fake. There are lots of fake Sandisk cards in the market, so make sure you're buying from an Authorized Sandisk Dealer. IOW, I'd avoid most Ebay vendors. Here's one page on how to tell the difference (but, counterfeits are probably improving as time passes, making it more difficult to tell if you buy a fake, so I'd stick with reputable dealers).

http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-SanDisk...00000001456539

Quote:
Should you be reformating the card every time you upload your pictures.
Personally, I reformat my cards prior to every reuse, using the camera's menu choice for Format (not a PC). No exceptions. That way, I always start out with a fresh File Allocation Table, just the way the camera expects it (since it's performing the format).

If you try a known good card and battery, and the problem persists, you may want to consider sending your camera to Canon and let them have a look at it. You could have a camera issue (although it's more likely to be something else causing it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 5:08 PM   #13

Thanks for your help. I will look at that article and hope that I don't have one. I don't remember where I bought the card.

I will also start formating it after I upload every time and see if that helps. I just don't want to have to have to send them my camera because that means I will be without my camera.

Thanks again

Michele
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:16 AM   #14
Super Moderator

If you have a real Sandisk Extreme III that's a very decent card.

Try to borrow another card and see if you get the same problem.

One other thing to check is that you are not using One-Shot AF mode. In one-shot mode the camera will not release the shutter until you get a focus lock. Shift to AI Servo mode and it will release regardless of whether it is in focus or not. But as you are getting a "Busy" message it seems very unlikely to be this issue.

If you can't shoot 20+ JPG captures with no delay then there is most likely a problem with your camera. It sucks, but these things happen sometimes, return it for repair/replacement.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 4:46 PM   #15

I do not have a counterfeit card according to that article so that is good. You say that is a decent card what card is a great card? Just curious. I am not going out and buying another one until I really learn how to use this camera the correct way like take a course.

I really appreciate all the help here. I changed my camera over to AI Servo mode. What exactly does that mean? I can look it I guess too. I will try shooting in this mode for a bit and see how that goes. I will also figure out when we start having that problem. It might be when the card is getting full. Just have not kept a record of when it happens.

Thanks again

Michele
Old Apr 16, 2009, 5:12 PM   #16
Administrator

Even if it's a genuine Sandisk card, it could still be defective. ;-)

You see bad cards from all manufacturers from time to time. I've also seen cards fail in a way that causes strange symptoms. For example, long camera startup times, long delays when the camera is trying to write to a card and more (probably because of "hard" read/write errors, that the camera is not passing on to to the viewfinder or LCD while it's performing retries)

IOW, I'd make sure to try a known good memory card and battery in it. If the problems still persist, I'd let Canon take a look at it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 6:57 PM   #17
Super Moderator

Good call about the battery. If you are using a cheap non-Canon battery you might be having power issues. In general cheap batteries are a very bad idea. Now of course Canon does charge probably as much as it can get away with, but cheap batteries can cause a host of problems.

It's a good idea to have more than 1 card anyway. A 4Gb card - something like a Sandisk Extreme II should be fast enough and is very cheap these days.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote