Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1

I bought a new Canon 50D..10 days ago from B&H. I loved it for a week. It worked very well. I went out this morning and started taking some photos. After about 3 shots the camera started freaking out. I was puzzled when the lens started trying to focus on everything as i turned around. I was not even near the shutter release button. The LCD screen would not work either. When I turn the camera off, then back on the flash pops up and starts flickering, lens length is running full out and in and everything is locked up. I have switched lenses, clean contacts and pulled both batteries to reset. No luck. I have babied the camera for the week I have used it and never bumped,dropded or abused it in any way. No rain or moisture here in Phoenix either. I have a wedding to shoot next week-end..guess I will be using my old bullet-proof Rebel.

I am shipping the camera back to B&H in the morning. I am replacing it with another 50D...but I am alittle uneasy with that model right now.
kem poyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:53 AM   #2

You might do a little research before posting something like this elsewhere. The 50D has no power zoom so what you claim is not possible... unless your cam is posessed... in which case I don't think the warranty will cover it - lololololololol
TheDigitalMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:33 AM   #3
Administrator

TheDigitalMage

When a lens is hunting for focus, it's common for a zoom lens to appear to be changing focal lengths as the optical elements for focus move. The problem sounds more like the shutter button is sticking with the camera set to Continuous Focus (i.e., AI Servo mode).

kem poyner

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I'd try using all switches, dials and buttons, just to make sure something is not stuck in between positions or not making a good connection. It could be something simple as a touch of oxidation, and using a camera's switches, buttons and dials can help clean any oxidation from their contacts from the friction of contacts rubbing against each other.

I'd also try resetting the camera back to factory defaults to make sure some kind of odd setting combination isn't causing an issue.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:00 AM   #4

kem poyner wrote:
Quote:
I am shipping the camera back to B&H in the morning. I am replacing it with another 50D...but I am alittle uneasy with that model right now.
I'm sorry for this difficulty. Look for my e-mail.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:05 AM   #5

that is correct...as the zoom tries to focus the end turns and moves in and out giving the illusion that it is changing focal lengths. That is what it is doing.... I have tried pushing all buttons and turning all dials...no change. I cannot change any settings because the LCD screen does not work... I would like to add that B&H is replacing the camera with no hassles at all. They are great to deal with. Glad I did not use Ebay!
kem poyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:53 AM   #6

kem poyner wrote:
Quote:
I would like to add that B&H is replacing the camera with no hassles at all. They are great to deal with.
When you're happy, we're happy. I'm glad this has been resolved!

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video
henryp is offline   Reply With Quote