Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1

Hi - I have a Canon EOS 20D and PCs which run Xp and Vista. I am looking for software that will allow me to remotely control the focus. I need to take multiple photos at different foci in order to create depth-of-field photos using Helicon. I have tried the EOS Viewer software, Zoombrowser and even DSLR Remote PRO. None of them allow you to control the focus on this particular camera (as far as I can tell - let me know if i missed something). Is there any software that will allow me to do this? Or should I get a different camera?

I also may be able to hook up to a Mac if that's my only choice software wise.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it!

Best Wishes,
Abby
agd112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Administrator

From what I can see from looking through features on remote control products, being able to fully control focus (manual focus or focus point via Autofocus) via software is probably limited to the Canon EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 40D, EOS 50D, EOS 450D/Rebel XSi and EOS 1000D/Rebel XS.

But, you may be able to find a way to control the focus point used for AF with older libraries supplied by Canon. See the Preferences section for DSLR Remote Pro here (and note it won't work with Vista):

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemoteP...references.htm

Quote:
New vs Old Canon libraries for 20D, 350D, 5D, 1D2 and 1DS2

Canon supply two different sets of libraries for controlling the EOS 20D, 350D, 5D, 1D Mark II and 1DS Mark II. The newer libraries are more reliable than the old libraries but don't offer as much control for some camera models from the PC. For example you can set the focus points and the AF mode from the PC with the Canon EOS 20D using the old libraries but not with the new libraries...
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

You started this thread in our Canon Forum (which is setup for Canon's non-dSLR cameras). So, I moved the thread down to our Canon EOS dSLR Forum for you, where you'll be more likely to get responses.

Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:08 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
For example you can set the focus points and the AF mode from the PC with the Canon EOS 20D using the old libraries but not with the new libraries...
I tried using the old libraries and I can not select the focus points on a preview image. I've included a screenshot. I'm beginning to think you are right and I may need a different model.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:19 PM   #5
Administrator

The box for "Use latest Canon libraries..." is unchecked, right? It also looks like you'll need to unplug the camera and plug it back in again before the changes will be recognized.

Why is drive mode set to continuous? You may want to change it to something else and see if there is a setting conflict with that mode.

Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:33 PM   #6

Yes, the 'libraries' box is unchecked. I disconnected the camera and turned it off. I turned it back on and reconnected. Checked to make sure that the 'libraries' button wasn't selected one more time and took a preview shot. I got the same as above - still not able to do anything with the focus points (the continuous button was checked by mistake - it is unchecked now).

Thanks for your help,
Abby
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:29 PM   #7
Administrator

You may want to ask Breeze Systems about it via [email protected], including information about your operating system installation (for example, XP Pro using Service Pack 3).