Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 7, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Xs shutting down?

My new Xs - got it at Christmas - occasionally just shuts down during operation. I can have a fully charged battery - one time I will take only 10 shots - the next night several hundred - then just as I go to take another shoot -poof- dead. The screen has a ghostly glow - but the camera is dead and turning it off and on does nothing. I can remove the battery put it back in and it works perfectly. Any ideas ? I think I should I just take it back to where I bought it - but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks for any help!

JW

Last edited by jerwilhelm; May 7, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
jerwilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2009, 7:37 PM   #2

I have no idea what the problem could be, but I would give Canon Support a call. They are very helpful, and your camera should still be covered under the warranty

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 9:38 AM   #3

Default XS shutting down

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday on my XS. Was taking pictures and everything was ok. Went to frame another picture and nothing! Pulled battery out for a second and turned back on. Everthing was ok since that.
MAguln8839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 6:38 AM   #4

I was having the same problem. Check your settings. Mine was set to automatically turn off after like 20 secs (dont remember exactly). Theres a setting to never shut down.
suebev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 4:25 PM   #5

Thanks everybody. I will give that a try.

JW
Old May 21, 2009, 8:18 AM   #6

Nope - not the problem. The issue I am having is that the camera just dies, it doesn't go to sleep. My XTi has the similar feature where if it is left on too long without being used it goes to sleep (like when I forget to turn it off!!) But with the Xsi the camera just goes kaput. I have to remove the battery and then put it back in to get it working again. Turning the camera on and off, or hitting any buttons does nothing. Thanks for any input.

JW
Old May 22, 2009, 10:19 AM   #7

Mine did the same thing once, and so far after that it has not occurred. What is the Ma rating on your battery. I have 2 batteries, one is 1080ma, the other battery, and the one I had the issue occur on was 950ma. Maybe poor batteries (lower ma ratings) have to do with the issue.
MAguln8839 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 2:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwilhelm View Post
Nope - not the problem. The issue I am having is that the camera just dies, it doesn't go to sleep. My XTi has the similar feature where if it is left on too long without being used it goes to sleep (like when I forget to turn it off!!) But with the Xsi the camera just goes kaput. I have to remove the battery and then put it back in to get it working again. Turning the camera on and off, or hitting any buttons does nothing. Thanks for any input.

JW
Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the battery as well as the ones in the battery compartment? A dry microfiber cloth and/or lint free swab for the hard to reach ones. Could be a little unseen corrosion forming on the contact surfaces. Just another suggestion... Hope it's something simple.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote