Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 8, 2009, 7:02 PM   #1

Default 40d vs 50d vs Xsi vs T1i

- I want this thing to last and not become obsolete. I used my Canon AE1 for 25 solid years of business travel.
- Will have to start with cheap, "come with" lenses... but have a body 3 years from now worthy of the lenses I can afford then when my business picks up again.
- Want something my budding teen can use to further her already started small time freelance career shooting teen parties/graduations/events.
- Want bang for the buck
-Want all the manual niceties... but I know myself and despite all good intentions to get more serious about my hobby...will usually shoot in fully automatic.
Questions:

- How afraid should I be to buy refurb or "demo" from Adorama or BH?
- A used 40d with 10 MP is about the same price as a new T1i with 15. I know the 40 D is higher quality... but how does that trade off with newer technology and more resolution available in the new T1i?
-Was it just one thread... or do the majority of you agree that the 40D is better than the 50D?
- Does it make sense to buy the Xsi which is 680 on newegg or the TIi which is $899 and add lenses and flashes to that later... vs taking the chance on a refurb 40 or a demo 50 on adorama?

Denny Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2009, 6:52 AM   #2

Three things you mentioned that are key; Years of service, use by a teen and travel. To reliably satisfy your requirements, your choice comes down to the durability of either the 40D or the 50D.
I can't speak to the 40D, but I can the XSi and 50D. Both the XSi and 50D make superb images, but the 50D is an anvil compared to the XSi.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 7:09 AM   #3

I am looking at both of these cameras too.
My main desire for the camera is to be used for personal family photos but also to capture my kids springboard diving both indoors and out. Also swim team pictures. my kids also play baseball and archery. So fast shutter speed is important. But I want to be able to take pictures of band concerts. So low light is an issue.
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 7:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning View Post
I am looking at both of these cameras too.
My main desire for the camera is to be used for personal family photos but also to capture my kids springboard diving both indoors and out. Also swim team pictures. my kids also play baseball and archery. So fast shutter speed is important. But I want to be able to take pictures of band concerts. So low light is an issue.
XSi only has ISO 1600 - that could be an issue for your low light work. T1I, 50d or 40d is what you should be looking at. You'll also need something like the 70-200 2.8 for the indoor work. Least expensive option is the sigma 70-200 2.8 (tamron makes one but it has slow focus). However 70-200 is short for full-field baseball. If it's a full size diamond, you'll need 300mm if shooting from the field/dugout - 400-500mm if not on the field. The camera is only 1/4 the equation for sports work.
1/4 camera
1/4 lens
1/4 access (i.e. for swimming if you're not on the deck, tough to get good shots)
1/4 photographer skill
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 1:40 PM   #5

I was just in the camera store. I definately like the 50D. So I am 80% sure I am going to purchase it. I panic just a tad.......so that usually a good sign it is the right camera.
We did some work ups on lenses and I think I am going to go with a 100 prime down the road....play with the kit lens over the summer, get over sticker shock.....and figure it all out.
It is a really heavy camera. Which I actually like.
Swimming I can get on the deck and be right next to the sides or finish lines.
Diving in the summer I can move around same in winter for practices...meets I will be in the stands. But to be honest I can't watch the meets and take pictures so it isn't too much of an issue.
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 2:13 AM   #6
Super Moderator

40D v 50D - no perceptible difference in image quality.

But in every other respect the 50D is a much nicer camera!

I would definitely go 50D if you can afford it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote