Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 16, 2009, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaski View Post
May I ask a follow-up - what do you think after using the 50D?
The 50D is an impressive camera. Having been a photographer for nearly 40 years, it takes a lot to impress me, but this camera reminds me of my old Canon A2. Quiet, fast, solid and efficient.
If you have a 40D and want to upgrade, I would recommend you do, but it is not a NEED to do.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 9:43 AM   #12

Default Follow Up - First Thoughts

Hello xtaski,

Well it arrived on Friday afternoon. I wanted to shoot a girls softball game on Friday night to test the Higher ISO but storms came through and it was canceled.

Saturday, it was off the soccer fields where I took a bunch of pictures.

First impressions especially comparing it to the XSi.

1) Lot more buttons, function and settings. I didn't have time to read much in the manual so it took me a while to figure out how to set the focus mode off of single shot and how to get the AF off the shutter and onto the back focus button. Found it and worked great.

2) Heavier than the XSi. I used a monopod for most of the shots but without it the camera and 70-200mm with the 1.4x would get heavy very quickly. I gained new respect for those pros I see using big cameras and huge lenses.

3) Of course I had to run out and buy compact flash cards. I followed Mark's comments and got 2 8gb Sandisk Extreme III cards. Office Depot didn't have it so I had to go the Best Buy - $89.00 each, crazy. I am ordering a 16gb today from B&H for about $101.00. I used the raw setting which is a lot bigger file size so the cards tend to fill quickly. I had to come home during the day to empty one of the cards. I will get a new card reader because the old one I had was very slow. Had to use the camera to upload to the computer and it was very speedy.

4) Of course it came with one battery pack and I had always kept two. The indicator was showing half strength so on my trip home I added a charge for about 40 minutes. It may have lasted the rest of the day but I couldn't take the chance since my oldest son played in the last game of the day. Along with the 16 gb card I am ordering another battery.

5) Handling was very good. The camera feels solid, bigger, and comfortable in my hand. I like the multiple options you have to change the settings with the extra buttons across the top.

6) Shutter speed was a big shock. One reason my cards filled so quickly was that a short press of the button would rapid fire 3 or 4 shots before I realized. Once I adjust to that it should help capture more of the peak action.

7) Pictures?? I don't know yet. I am uploading files from the two cards as I type this.

Not sure I capture anything yet that I couldn't have also got with the XSi but I am expecting big things. So far so good.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 3:16 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Glad you managed to get out and do some shooting, you will soon find all of the controls a breeze, even the customer functions that you change from time to time will become simple.

I would never shoot RAW for sports which until quite recently has been my main area of photography working with the 1D mkIII. The work flow is just too much and the minute gains are not worth it. Just stick to jpg and shoot all day without filling your cards. Well if you are filling 16Gb you have taken a huge amount which again you would never want to process from RAW.

Looking forward to seeing some of the results, let us know when you post them.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 12:31 AM   #14

Thanks for the followup. I too am debating getting a t1i or 50D... It seems the main difference is the physical body. I'm not seeing many technical differences to justify an upgrade...
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 5:22 AM   #15
Super Moderator

What do you want to shoot as this will have an affect. Unless Canon changes things the T1i will still have the same AF algorithms as the XSi etc so the 50D will have better performance here so if shooting sports/fast moving things that will be key. If you already have a Canon which do you have and what is it not doing for you to want an upg?
Old May 18, 2009, 10:59 AM   #16

Default Some pictures posted from the first day of shooting

I have posted a new thread in the Sports Shots forum with some of the pictures from Day 1 with the 50D. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...tml#post969759
Old May 18, 2009, 3:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
If you already have a Canon which do you have and what is it not doing for you to want an upg?
I just sold my XT on eBay. There have been enough changes to warrant going to the T1i, but when I was looking at the 50D prices, I was considering moving up. The one factor in 50D's favor is the body construction and weatherproofing. However, I don't do that much shooting which would require it. I also don't do much sports/action shooting so there's little need for the better AF... I mostly do landscape, people, wide angle shots. The one area I was curious if anyone noticed a difference was in low light, but I haven't seen any comments suggesting the 50D is any better under low light conditions..

One other point in the T1i's favor is its ability to capture video. While I will never use this as a video camera, it is a nice feature to have. I am however, disappointed the 1080p is only 20fps... I also don't understand why they can't just do a firmware upgrade to have the 50D capture video - seems ridiculous that the 50D can't do it when it has pretty much the same (or slightly better) hardware/chips/data output paths...

Last edited by xtaski; May 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 3:33 PM   #18

I didn't realize this camera has weather proofing. Are you sure? If so added plus for me! Since my main reason to purchase this camera if for swimming and diving!
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 4:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaski View Post
The one area I was curious if anyone noticed a difference was in low light, but I haven't seen any comments suggesting the 50D is any better under low light conditions..
I certainly will be disappointed if the 50D does not perform better in low light than my XSi, but will not be able to compare it to a T1i. I had planned to shoot some night softball on Friday but it got rained out. Hopefully, I will get another chance within a week. If so I will let you know.

Andy
Old May 18, 2009, 5:18 PM   #20
Super Moderator

The T1i has the potential to perform better than the 50D as it will be able to offer ISO12800 compared to the 6400 of the 50D. Now we have yet to see how the noise is at such levels to see if it is worth it.

As for adding video they are never going to offer this for free as it is another way to sell the next model, I just wish they would offer the sort of controls that the Panasonic GH1 has then it would be worth having video.