Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 24, 2009, 6:54 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default First Shots with 500D/T1i

As mentioned in another post I picked up a 500D yesterday mainly for shooting video and also it will replace my 30D as backup camera.

I mainly shot video today but also got a couple of stills.

The first is with Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 and Sigma 2x TC at 600mm.
The second is with Canon 24-105mm f4.

I'm currently uploading video and will add a link once it is complete.

If anyone has any questions about the 500D I will happily try to help but obviously I'm still new to this camera (I have 30D, 5D and 1D mkIII as well so used to the system).

Mark
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 7:34 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The video is up on YouTube but the HD hasn't finished encoding yet but it's time for me to get to bed. Hopefully soon the HD version will be on there for people to check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFOrA4Ut4wM

I'm also uploading to Vimeo so people can pull down the full size file.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:10 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Vimeo is just encoding now so the full file can be downloaded.
http://www.vimeo.com/4817779

I know I was going to bed but you know what it is like when you get a new toy and want to sort everything out!!
Old May 25, 2009, 5:12 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Very cool Mark.

I've been playing a lot with the video on my 5DMkII.

Clearly you would have to do a lot of work to produce professional results, because all the pro-level features you get on a video camera are missing.

Definition is simply amazing when played back on a big screen. The one thing that is NOT missing is image quality!

Focus is tricky for sure however. I am finding that the AF really doesn't seem to be up to the job. It's quicker, easier and more accurate to use MF.

Zooming smoothly is very hard, I would imagine that to get a smooth zoom action with most lenses is almost impossible. The 24-105 is pretty smooth, but a lot of practice will be necessary to get acceptable results.

Storage is not as bad as I feared. A medium speed CF card (133x / 20Mb/s) seems to be more than adequate. I just got a new 16Gb 133x card for 30, so things are cool on that front. 1Gb = 4mins. So a 16Gb card can do around an hour. That's really not too bad.

You need a fairly hefty machine to do the editing though. Fortunately we have a Mac Pro with FCP, so am sorted for editing equipment. Though it is my wife who knows how to edit - I am clueless.

I will only be using the feature for the kind of clips I would previously have used video from a P&S for, but it's great not to have switch cameras. I will certainly end up with a lot more video footage from now on.

For aspiring young filmmakers, who have a good script, a lot of talent and time rather than money I think that this camera could enable them to do things on an equipment budget of only 5,000 that would have previously cost them 100,000.

Without the talent and vision to do use the equipment however it doesn't mean all that much. 99.99% of the time DSLR video will just be short family clips. That's what I'll be using it for, but I think it's an unexpectedly fabulous feature.

Colour seems very good, and white balance not too much work to set.

Exposure control is fine, certainly it's possible to just dial in EC in the same way as you do for stills.

The different modes are useful, because post-processing video is way more computation intensive than stills. I particularly find the Monochrome mode is fun. It's also cool to play around with over the top saturation, sharpening and contrast.

Aperture control is clearly something that will be a big issue for those who have ambitions to actually make movies with this thing, rather than just short family/holiday video snippets. (Like me.)

If I wanted to do any serious movie making I would definitely be tempted to try using some fully manual Zeiss lenses so that aperture could be set on the lens.

I still have to do lots of reading up on how exactly one can control aperture.

Overall it's a feature that I really didn't think I would use or even be interested in, but it's not turning out that way at all.

Last edited by peripatetic; May 25, 2009 at 5:20 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 6:53 PM   #5

Hi
I have Sx1 is for 3 monthes and i shoot more than 6K photos and i strated to suffer when i want to shoota thing that i cant shot with sx 1is (when i must use high iso or when i want more isolation in background ) will it be a big improvment in picture Quality and noise when upgrading to 500D or save more money and buy 5D mark II
LightHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 5:49 PM   #6
Super Moderator

There are advantages and disadvantages to the 500D over the SX1. Yes, at higher ISO the quality is a huge amount better and it can produce sharp results but with the right lens/lenses. As for getting a shallow dof then the much larger sensor of the 500D makes this much more simple, again though having certain lenses will help out here.

Now the video side of things is not as easy as with the SX1 but for me that's fine as I want to learn a new craft where MF is not a problem but if I just want to go out and shoot some quick video the SX1 would be the choice (and what I took with me to Aberdeen for the past 2 days).

There is no perfect camera, this is why I have 2 P&S and currently 4 dSLRs (one will be sold soon).
Old May 27, 2009, 9:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
(one will be sold soon).
Which one?

The video looks pretty good Mark, the exposure is a bit strong, but that's not something you can control, yet (I hope). Did you use a monopod to help steady the camera?
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I'm getting rid of the 30D.

Spot the person who didn't read the info I put on the video LOL. The exposure was all my fault as I was using the technique that some of the 5D guys did to help open up the aperture which worked a little but I didn't get the exposure right after. I used a fluid head tripod which has been fine for the SX1 but the 500D+ lens + TC was just too heavy for this so there was some wobble when panning or just touching anything.
Old May 27, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Spot the person who didn't read the info I put on the video LOL.
Busted!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Lol!!