Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:26 PM   #11

I also wanted to mention the wonderful software package "neatimage". It is the best digital noise remover I've ever seen (and I've read reviews that say the same thing.)

Just go to www.neatimage.com.

The free package is just as good at removing noise, but the pro version has good value add features (patch processing, PS plugin.)

I find the noise on the 10D to be pushing it at 800ISO and bad at 1600ISO. But I'm very picky.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:49 PM   #12

I had borrowed a Rebel 300D from my work for the weekend. I found it to be an excellent camera. All the shots I took had no noise. I took some shots at a professional basketball game at 1600 asa with very little noise. With my Nikon 5700 it would have been impossible to focus.

Glenn
Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:51 PM   #13

I had borrowed a Rebel 300D from my work for the weekend. I found it to be an excellent camera. All the shots I took had no noise. I took some shots at a professional basketball game at 1600 asa with very little noise. With my Nikon 5700 it would have been impossible to focus.

Glenn
Nikon 5700
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:54 PM   #14

Todd - Great pic of the baby. Very nice.

-jb - Thanks for pointing that out. I'm starting to realize that viewing a picture on my moniter is actually quite large. I haven't printed out any pictures yet but there is no doubt in my mind that when I do print out a shot it will look great at 8 x 10. What bothers me is that this camera is advertized to get shots up to 20 x 30 (or something crazy like that) When I do get a once in a lifetime shot with this camera I'll want to be able to print out huge prints someday and not worry about noise (givein that I shot it right) I'm very picky I guess.

gverde, - I was very close to getting the Nikon 5700, but one of the reasons I didnt get it is because it came out in 2002 sometime and I bet they are going to top that model soon for the same price. I also wanted to jump into SLR.
vw1972bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 9:22 PM   #15

Another Update:

I have noticed that there is NO noise when viewed in Photoshop 7.0 at 50% or lower. Above 50% has significant amounts of noise/grain.

Please check out this picture that I took the other day and tell me what you think. Download it and view it @ 100%.

Here's the link, 6.9 megs

http://www.onlinefence.com/Kalvin.jpg

One other thing, (eric s) posted a great free program called neatimage that works GREAT! I tried it out and I cant belive the results. if you havent tried it give it a shot.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:13 AM   #16

In the last post I do see the noise (grain) you are talking about. I do not experience any such noise with my Digital Rebel even at ISO 400. I'm wondering if there may be a defect in your particular camera if you are having so many issues with noise?

Just a thought.
wackybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:02 PM   #17

Yeah I hope I dont have a defect, I would really like some more input on this picture. I would also like to see some other untouched original pictures so that I can look at them and see if they have the grain as well. The pic above "Kalvin" is the type of problem I have been getting. Please help.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:40 PM   #18
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1972bug
Please check out this picture that I took the other day and tell me what you think. Download it and view it @ 100%.
I don't find the noise to be objectionable in Kalvin's picture. When viewed at high enlargemnent, you can see some noise in the grey walls. I don't think it would be terrible in a print.

A 20x30 print is going to show more grain than an 8x10. The general consensus is that you don't view a 20x30 print as closely as you would an 8x10 print. Most times you view a very large print from several feet away.

Although I love PhotoShop, I have never found it to be very good as a viewer. I use a freeware tool named IrfanView. It's written by a nice fellow in Bosnia and has more features than most shareware and commercial viewers. It displays PhotoShop .psd's and many other image formats. You can download it here:

http://www.irfanview.com/

If you download it, get the plugins too. Adjust the display options under view, and press "Enter" to view a picture full screen. Press "Spacebar" to go to the next picture. It's pretty simple to use, and it loads about ten times faster than PhotoShop.

You certainly don't have to worry about focus on your camera. Notice that Kalvin's eyes are crystal clear - absolutely sharp. You can see his nose is soft... then his eyes are sharp... then his ears go soft again... perfect depth of field... nice shot.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 5:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1972bug
Yeah I hope I dont have a defect, I would really like some more input on this picture. I would also like to see some other untouched original pictures so that I can look at them and see if they have the grain as well. The pic above "Kalvin" is the type of problem I have been getting. Please help.
I see it in his picture but not in yours. Just a tiny bit. Nothing compared to what I see on almost all the G5 pictures. Easily corrected. I'm running 1600x1200 on a 20" LCD. What kind of video card do you have? When I'm looking at pictures on some of the servers they do the same thing. These are all computers with onboard crappy video.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:37 PM   #20

Hello, its me again and I'm still having major problems. Please take a look at another example I have taken and please help me decide if I have a defective unit or not. No matter what I try, whatever settings, ISO speeds etc... EVERY picture I take has good amounts of grain and noise.

I know viewing images at 100% will sometimes produce a limited amount of grain but I think for a camera of this caliber this is non-sence. Please look at this picture below. Notice the black jacket that the female is wearing and also notice the dark hallway in the upper left of the photo. Also look at the females hair. Do you see the grain/noise? Please compare this photo to some of yours and let me know what you think. Do I have a defective unit? I am sooo upset and disapointed, I spent a large chunk of my saveings on this camera and so far it is a very poor performer.

http://www.onlinefence.com/Nick.JPG

P.S. This pic was taken at ISO 100 with the flash. It is also untouched from the camera. Download this and view it on your computer, Internet Explore is not that great.