Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:03 PM   #31

Default Digital Noise in 300D Digital Rebel photos

I have to agree with many others here who have looked at your pictures. I have done so pretty critically, and I don't see any unusual noise at all. Your pictures look excellent. You have nothing to complain about.

I believe that you are probably having problems on the viewing end, not the capture end.

I have a Digital Rebel and am very pleased with the results that I'm getting. BTW, I've been doing photography, sometimes seriously, for 35 years.

I am looking at your photos at 100% with both Safari (the web browser) and with Photoshop 7 on my iMac 17". My monitor is calibrated, and I'm using color management.

Again, I am ultra picky, and I just can't find any noise problem to criticize in your photos.

V Pascal
vpascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:30 AM   #32

Default You Guys are killing me...

Does nobody realize that almost all monitors show an image resolution of 72dpi? Geez, that isn't even close to most printer resolutions. Try printing out some 280dpi-8x10 images & then complain!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:29 AM   #33

Default Re: You Guys are killing me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
Does nobody realize that almost all monitors show an image resolution of 72dpi? Geez, that isn't even close to most printer resolutions. Try printing out some 280dpi-8x10 images & then complain!
I do not even see it on his picture at 1:1. Or even when I zoom in. My monitor displays about 100dpi. 1600x1200, 16" horizontal, 12" vertical exactly. Maybe slightly over since the diagonal is 20.1". Dell has some laptops that do 1920x1200 on a 15.4" screen! I'm guessing about 150dpi.

Eric
ewitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:06 AM   #34

Default Looking at photos on monitors

The issue of monitor resolution is essentially irrelevant. I examine the photos at 1:1 (dot-for-dot) or even larger. I can make the individual pixels as large as I want. It's just like using a magnifier to examine a print or negative.

I really think that the issue here may be monitor calibration - especially gamma.

V Pascal
vpascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 2:06 AM   #35

Sounds like it can be any of the following:

1) A bad monitor
2) A bad video card
3) A bad video cable
4) Interferance from external sources (monitor cable running over power cables?)
5) Running in 8 or 16 bit mode. YOu need to set your card to 24 or 32 bit.
6) Bad color and/or gamma calibration. Use Adobe Gamma if you haven't already.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:47 AM   #36

Default I don't think that the video signal is his problem!

Looking at the "Kalvin" Photo, I'm quiet sure that he means the noise in the background, the white door at the right upper part of the picture. You all MUST see it, looking at 100%, don't you!? :shock: But as this photo was shot at 400 ISO, and this part is of course out of focus, I would say, that this is a normal behavior.

I guess Neat Image makes it as perfect, as vw1972bug want's it to be right out of the camera!
Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 9:55 AM   #37

Default Re: I don't think that the video signal is his problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus W.
Looking at the "Kalvin" Photo, I'm quiet sure that he means the noise in the background, the white door at the right upper part of the picture. You all MUST see it, looking at 100%, don't you!? :shock: But as this photo was shot at 400 ISO, and this part is of course out of focus, I would say, that this is a normal behavior.

I guess Neat Image makes it as perfect, as vw1972bug want's it to be right out of the camera!
I saw a little in the first images but absolutely nothing in the Kalvin one. Although I do right now because I'm in the middle of re-building my PC and have not put the ATI drivers back on yet (even though I'm at 32-bit color).

Eric
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:31 AM   #38

Default Try to post a crop

ok, let's give it a try with a 100% crop of the part I mean - hope this works...

First the original crop, then corrected with Neat Image:

And please don't tell me, that you don't see any difference on your screen, that would really be over my head... :?

Please don't missunderstand me: I don't say, that this noise/grain (or whatever someone would call this) really makes a big problem, even when printed in larger sizes (didn't try that), but it EXITS, an can be corrected! And, once again: I am sure, that it would be much better at 100 ISO!

Klaus W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:47 AM   #39

Default Re: Try to post a crop

Quote:
ok, let's give it a try with a 100% crop of the part I mean - hope this works...

And please don't tell me, that you don't see any difference on your screen, that would really be over my head... :?

]
I looked at the picture again. It was not like that when I looked at it the other day.

Eric
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:19 AM   #40

Default Re: Try to post a crop

Quote:

Please don't missunderstand me: I don't say, that this noise/grain (or whatever someone would call this) really makes a big problem, even when printed in larger sizes (didn't try that), but it EXITS, an can be corrected! And, once again: I am sure, that it would be much better at 100 ISO!

Yes, you hit the nail right on the head. That example is what's been bugging me a little bit. Its as easy as that. I guess after all it's not much of a problem but when I first got used to the 300D I was not expecting that type of noise in alot of my pictures. I know that photo was shot at 400 ISO but that noise/grain shows up in most of my photos, even at 100 ISO. It really only shows up for me indoors under low light conds.

Maybe its because I'm used to using a P&S. I jumped over from a 5MP Point & Shoot and it is like two different worlds. If there is a slight problem with your settings when your shooting with a DSLR the problem is amplified I think. P&S's are more forgiving in a way.

Dont get me wrong, I love the 300D and it takes breathtaking shots, I just wasn't expecting some amounts of noise it sometimes puts out. But Neat Image is a powerhouse and it can solve almost any noise problem!

Here are a pic I took last night, and there is also a 100% crop of a dark area you can look at.
http://www.onlinefence.com/Kalvin3.jpg

Thanks guys!
[/url]
vw1972bug is offline   Reply With Quote