Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2003, 8:56 PM   #1

Default Question...Picture Noise???

Hello everyone! This is my first post after reading these threads for some time now.

Anyways, I just picked up the Digital Rebel today and I have been taking pictures all day, and so far I think its great.

I do have one question though, almost all on my pictures have a good amount of noise in the pics and I thought it was just me. I thought that it was just the way I had my settings set that made all of my pictures have large amounts of ugly noise. So... went online looking at other pictures that were taking with the same camera and what I realized is that almost all of the 300D pics have the same type of noise. Here are some examples.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22685932
http://www.pbase.com/image/22625299
http://www.pbase.com/image/21719714
http://www.pbase.com/image/22666041

I'm not sure if this is called noise or not, all I know is I dont like it and alot of my pics are coming out like this. My last $400 digital camera never did this and I hope I didnt make a bad choice. Please help out.
vw1972bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2003, 10:16 PM   #2

Default Maybe

If you are shooting in full-auto mode(s). You camera will make adjustments in White Balance, ISO, use multi-segment metering & set it's own aperture, shutter speeds, etc. The 300D is not a typical point & shoot type of camera like most. It's built very similar to the 10D as far as the internals go & it's more of a high-end camera. Using it as a point & shoot really wastes most of its potential and I would imagine that the images wouldn't be nearly as good as a camera made specifically to be used in that mode.

Try reading the manual (3 to 5) times & lock your ISO on 100 & then start shooting in either shutter or aperture priority modes. I would bet your images improve dramatically.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:55 AM   #3

the noise I see appears to be jpeg noise, not slow shutter or high iso noise. It seems like your camera is set for low quality as opposed to fine and large or raw. Your pictures are all of different light conditions so I don't believe this is typical digital noise. I have the 300D and the only time I see noise is when I set the iso to 1600.
Todd Roisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 4:45 PM   #4

Just to let you guys know, I didnt take those pictures I am just using them as an example.

My quality settings are set at large, so that has nothing to do with it. The noise really shows up when I view the pictures at 100%. I'll keep on trying, thanks for the input, if anyone else has anything to add please help.

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:26 AM   #5

Hi

When i first got my 300d i had a problem with noise in all images especially in the shadow areas of shots. It may sound too simple but when i re-calibrated my monitor everything was perfect.... no noise up to ISO 800 and even then it is not noticable...!

Hope that heps

Richie
Richie Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:05 PM   #6

Hello,

Here is a follow up:

I think that I figured out how get rid of the constant noise that I have been getting from my Canon 300D. I started shooting in RAW mode which helped to a point. Another thing I started doing was using Photoshop 7.0 and Capture One DSLR Rebel Edition 1.0 to smooth out, sharpen and adjust the white balance of all of my pictures.

I know I'm new to this, and I'm sure I will get better, but I must admit that I am very disapointed in the process I have to go thru to get a nice final picture. You need to put in great effort and much time in each picture to get it to look just right. Dont get me wrong, after all of the processing is done the pictures are great, but for a $1000+ camera it should'nt be such a pain to get a quality picture.

If there is anyone here debating purchasing the Digital Rebel, please consider the work you have to do to develop your film. I wish someone told me this before I bought this camera.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 8:21 PM   #7

Another Update:

I actually had my moniter set to 16bit and I switched to 32bit. This did make a noticable difference, but there is still noise when the pictures are viewed @ 100% in Photoshop 7.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 1:07 AM   #8
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1972bug
The noise really shows up when I view the pictures at 100%. I'll keep on trying, thanks for the input, if anyone else has anything to add please help.
When you view a 3072x2048 pixel image at 100% on a monitor, it's the equivalent print size of 42x28 inches. That's quite a large image. It is natural to see a bit of grain when magnifying an image to that level.

Try making an 8x10 print. You might be surprised...

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 1:25 AM   #9

I have a 300D that for now I have been shooting JPEG's only at the highest setting. I do about 5 minutes of work in photoshop to get a better color balance and a slight Unsharp mask. I have printed pictures at 8x10 on Photo Quality matte paper. All the pictures look great and except when I shoot low light at 1600 iso do I see any noise or artifacts. Here is an example at 400 iso.

http://www.theroismans.com/Albums/Da.../images/A1.jpg

This image is on my website so It has been JPEG compressed at a 75 quality and still very little JPEG artifacts and certainly no digital noise at 400 iso. This picture has been printed at 8x10 and could easilier be blown up bigger if my printer could do so. I have taken about 600 pictures with my camera since I bought it about a month ago and I have had no problems with the picture quality. You should try another D300 in the store and compare it to yours to see if you just got a bad unit.
File Name IMG_0291.JPG
Camera Model Name Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
Shooting Date/Time 9/20/2003 10:27:00 PM
Shooting Mode Auto
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/60
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens 18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length 55.0 mm
Image Size 3072x2048
Image Quality Fine
Flash On
Flash Type Built-In Flash
Flash Exposure Compensation 0
Red-eye Reduction Off
Shutter curtain sync 1st-curtain sync
White Balance Auto
AF Mode AI Focus AF
Color tone Normal
Color Space sRGB
File Size 2488KB
Drive Mode Single-frame shooting
Todd Roisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:12 PM   #10

I also have the 300D and do not experience a problem with noise unless using ISO 1600 and even then I wouldn't say it's unacceptable. I love my 300D and wouldn't give it up for any other Digital Camera on the Market.

I am happy with most all of the images I get from my camera even when I don't use the highest jpg settings. The only issues I have with my camera is the photographer behind it. :-)
wackybill is offline   Reply With Quote