Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 26, 2009, 10:01 PM   #1

Default New 5D Mark II Firmware - Manual Exposure Control During Video

Canon has just announced a new firmware update that will allow you to manually control exposure when using the 5D Mark II's HD video function.

Per Canon's eNewsletter:

With the introduction of the EOS 5D Mark II, Canon revolutionized the video industry with the ability to shoot Full HD video on on a 24mm x 36mm sensor. This provided depth of field characteristics that were previously unseen in any video camera.

The EOS 5D Mark II has been met with incredible enthusiasm by major picture studios, independent filmmakers and professional videographers. The consensus was that the EOS 5D Mark II is a phenomenal tool but needed to include manual exposure control within video to be fully utilized.

After months of extensive engineering and testing, Canon is please to announce a free downloadable firmware update that enables manual exposure controls while shooting video including: ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

This update transforms the Canon EOS 5D Mark II into the first full frame 24mm x 36mm DSLR with manual exposure video control, creating an amazing tool for the video and motion picture industries alike, leaving no need to compromise with inferior workarounds.

This new firmware update is scheduled to become available early June, so stay tuned!

Update: 6/2/2009

This new firmware (v1.1.0) is now available!

Canon Releases Firmware Update Version 1.1.0 for the EOS 5D Mark II
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2009, 4:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Such amazing news, let's hope that the 500D is not far behind too!!

Well done Canon for listening to the call from the users.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 8:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Such amazing news, let's hope that the 500D is not far behind too!!

Well done Canon for listening to the call from the users.
I figured you'd like this news

I would imagine that they would offer a similar update for the T1i as well. Only time will tell. I have my fingers crossed, as I really like the T1i, and have thought about picking one up.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
I figured you'd like this news

I would imagine that they would offer a similar update for the T1i as well. Only time will tell. I have my fingers crossed, as I really like the T1i, and have thought about picking one up.
Not sure if you spotted my threads but I got a 500D/T1i at the weekend, there is one just below this in the Canon section. Some vids too. I hope they announce the T1i update before the 5D one is available otherwise I might just have to get a 5D.... I'm not someone who likes to wait LOL.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:20 AM   #5

Yeah, I saw that thread, but haven't had a chance to check out the video samples.

I wish I could get a 5DMK2, but it's just not in my budget at the moment.
Old May 27, 2009, 9:46 AM   #6

I don't know how good the 500D/T1i videos are ... I would suppose as good as the 5dMk2 since the standards used are the same. But the 5dMk2 videos I have shot are absolutely of professional video IQ. Adding lens interchangability ... wow! So much nicer than most affordable videocameras.

And this much demanded firmware update should fix all but one of the major desires — I would doubt, though, that the shortcomings of the built-in audio auto-level could have a firmware fix. But that can be worked around with an external recorder. I do hope this much-needed update, when it arrives in June, lives up to expectations and promises!

Of course, even though the tool is outstanding and meets all my professional still photographic needs, this 60 year old video duffer could use some learning-time in the moving picture realm!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
Yeah, I saw that thread, but haven't had a chance to check out the video samples.

I wish I could get a 5DMK2, but it's just not in my budget at the moment.
It's in my budget but I really can't justify the camera for the amount I'm shooting at the moment so used my brain and got the 500D.
Old May 27, 2009, 1:11 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Outrageous behaviour!

Never mind - it will nag at you that you probably should have got the 5DMkII, and you will have to buy it in the end. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:44 AM   #9

The update has been released!

Canon Releases Firmware Update Version 1.1.0 for the EOS 5D Mark II
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:07 AM   #10

And it delivers what it promised! Nice!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote