Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 31, 2009, 12:35 AM   #1

Default Canon 500D and Nikon D5000, in general Canon vs. Nikon all over the map

I started with a Canon AE1 Program (we won't go further back in time. My First Digicam was a Nikon 995. My Current DSLR is Canon Rebel XT.

At the time I bought the Rebel XT in 2005 things were slower, simpler and less diverse. Some indicated the Rebel was slightly superior in image quality to the semi-equivalent Nikon. In my case the fact that it came with high quality jpeg+raw instead of basic jpeg and the included DPP pro tipped the balance for me in favor of Canon. I always read reviews both before and after my purchases. It is both research and window shopping.

In any case perhaps it is just me but I have noticed new trends in the reviews of DSLR. Nikons seem to have an indicated increase in IQ, parity or superior then the loosely equivalent Canon? Flash and metering accuracy were always a strength of the Nikons. With the Advent of the D5000 you can get High quality Jpeg and Raw. Yay Still no free Raw editor. Boo.

The other things I have noticed is the reviews of recent Canon's, in particular, the 500D seem to be all over the map. Some indicating it is a stellar camera every much a budget 50D as the D5000 is a budget D90. Others lament the 500D's having IQ issues even marking it down to being poorer then its predecessors. On those knocking the 500D they point to 15 megpixal being just too much for an APC sized sensor, but then their comparing it to mostly 12 megapixel apc models generally.

Some reviewers use jpegs primarily in their testing, Others Raw. There are of course pros and cons to both. I would argue that the whole point of a DSLR is to have the option if hitting up the Digital negative for the best quality picture (at least as an option) and JPEGS are the quick and dirty immediate gratification path. I do not see how you can fairly test a camera with out looking at both.

I remember Pentax reviews basically indicating that if you were willing to go Raw only you could get great results. That is important information.

Anyway I was wondering what others thought. Both of the 500D vs. D5000, and of the state of the major review sites including this one in the Nikon vs. Canon IQ and such. Of course if your an existing customer of one of the other you not only have some potential bias but you likely have a vested interest in equipment and operations that might bind you to your existing Camera brand.

Last edited by anthlover; May 31, 2009 at 1:18 AM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2009, 1:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

For a few years the manufacturers were able to improve IQ at a per-pixel level at the same time as increasing the absolute number of pixels on each new generation of sensors.

For the APS-C that no longer seems to be the case (at least for Canon). However my take is that the cameras are continuing to improve as more features are added. Increasing pixel counts are no longer improving results at the per-pixel level, indeed they may be worse. But the IQ when measured at the print level is still improving slightly and of course the pixel count is still going up, and with good light those extra pixels come in handy for larger prints.

If I were you I'd hang on for a couple of weeks until DXOMark release results for the 500D and D5000. But assuming your basic premise that they are cheaper versions of the 50D and D90 you might find the comparison between those two cameras' sensors instructive:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...(brand2)/Nikon

The most significant difference there being in low-ISO performance and slightly better DR for the Nikon.

Last edited by peripatetic; Jun 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 10:21 PM   #3

Thank you. Still mostly window shopping. Switching to Nikon would mean selling and replacing My Tamron 17-50 2.8 and My Sigma 530DG and Rebel XT itself. Small disincentives. Buying the Canon is the simpler choice. Of course since I am window shopping I can afford to wait I think though for the next year, Canon's APC sensors are wedded to to the current 15 megapixel/Digic 4 Processing. I can not imagine Canon jumping down back down to 12.

Of course what would be really nice is if full frame sensors found their way down to Semi Entry level Dslrs. Those are still around 3K so I think were about 24 months away from the 1K barrier there.

Yes I saw that article in DXO. It will be interesting to see how junior version's do.

Last edited by anthlover; Jun 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

We're a lot longer than 24 months away from camera with a FF sensor at $1000.

In fact the manufacturing cost of FF sensors is probably around $1000 at the moment, and there is no obvious reason why those would decrease to any significant degree.

Much more likely is that the price point stays the same and the features get better.

Nikon and Canon have managed to interleave their DSLR models quite effectively for the last few years so as to never have them competing directly against a model from the other camp.

Unless you have very specific needs it generally makes little sense to jump ship from one to the other when by simply waiting a few months the system you are in will have a new body better than the one you might have jumped across for.

And crucially of course (unless you have very specific needs) both systems are more than capable of producing photographs far better than you need. Most cameras are far more capable than the photographers that use them. (And I certainly include myself in that group.)

Getting a better camera will not make your pictures any better (unless you have very specific needs). I have proved this to my own satisfaction by upgrading from 20D -> 5D -> 5DMkII.

I have had a far better return by buying books and going on courses than I have from getting better equipment.

Don't get me wrong, buying new gear is fun, and if you can afford the best then go for it - because if nothing else it takes away all the excuses you might have had for poor pictures. It also encourages you to work harder because if someone sees you have an expensive camera and your pictures are rubbish then it can be quite embarrassing. :-)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:28 AM   #5

Your probably correct but 24 months is a long time. You can still find 5Ds for around 2K but your MKII is about $2700.

There is as lot of competition out there, but probably something more like $1700 in 24 months is more feasible.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:07 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I paid around 1500 ($3000 at the time) for my 5D and 2100 ($3000 at the time) for my 5D2.

Matters are being complicated by a very strong Yen however. The Sony A900 and Nikon D700 can be had for around 1700-1900.

I see no reason not to expect those prices to fall a little bit but only as the product moves through its life cycle.

So sure the 5D2 will likely be cheaper in a year's time, maybe by up to 25-30% as is common with all electronic products. But the 5D3 will be released at the same sort of starting price as the 5D2 and 5D before it.

The 1D series cameras have usually had very similar price points through their last 3 or so iterations, as have the XXD cameras.

Hey not that I am not rooting for you to be correct. I am just not as optimistic as you, and I certainly don't think it's worth waiting in eager anticipation of a price drop that will probably never come.