Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Depends how old you are talking about with the 70-200, but the HSM versions should all be fine unless I'm mistaken.
Here is the exchange I had with Desiree at Sigma

I wrote:
Quote:
Hello, I have these two Sigma lenses

70-200mm 1:2.8 EX APO HSM Serial No. 2014790.

28-70 mm 1:2.8 EX Aspherical Serial No. 2005162.

Both of these lenses have the Canon EF mount for my Canon EOS 35mm SLR. These lenses do not have the DG designation. What kind of problems am I going to encounter in using these with a Canon EOS digital camera? If they aren't compatible, is there any way to make them compatible?
Desiree (Sigma)
Quote:
Are there any other letters or words on the lens?
Me:
Quote:
Desiree,
Here are the designations from the owner's manuals for the lenses. See scan below. I purchased these lenses in 2001 and 2002. The only other letters would maybe be AF-MF.

Desiree:
Quote:
Is that the same as what is on the physical lens itself?

Me:
Quote:
Yes. Those are the actual manuals for the lenses, I just scanned them, to be absolutely clear as to which lenses I have.

Followed-up with the scans of the actual lenses. Could I be any clearer?

Desiree (Sigma)
Quote:
My repair technician said unfortunately they are not compatible and the parts are no longer available to make them compatible.

If you reside in the US we can offer you a discounted price on a comparable lens in exchange for the old one (s).

Me:
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes I am in the US - Dallas, Texas. I would be interested in getting them exchanged. What are the discounted prices.
Desiree:
Quote:
We have very few left of the current 70-200mm lens but here are the prices:

70-200mm f2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II for $637.00

Then for the 28-70:

24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro for $441.00
Or the
24-70mm f2.8 EX DG Hsm for $722.00
It sound's like Sigma cannot make them compatible any longer, they ran out of parts to do it.

Are you saying the HSM tele should work as is? I need to test it on a camera.

Attached Images

Last edited by PanTerra; Mar 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM.
PanTerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:01 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I would just take it to a local camera store and check but I was pretty sure that the HSM options were OK........ I'm not a lens expert btw but think this is the option my uncle has as he was a film user before going to digital.

I had the HSM Macro before I switched to the Canon option. I would be interested to know how you get on when you try it out.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:27 PM   #13

Quote:
I would just take it to a local camera store and check but I was pretty sure that the HSM options were OK........ I'm not a lens expert btw but think this is the option my uncle has as he was a film user before going to digital.

I had the HSM Macro before I switched to the Canon option. I would be interested to know how you get on when you try it out.
I can run over to a neighbor who has a 5D markII and give it a shot. i already have an extensive Pentax LX system from the 80s that has been in a case and isn't worth anything, I am not going to have that tele awaiting the same fate. It's bad enough that i have an EOS 3. At this rate if I have to replace the lanses by buying new ones, by the time I get the 7D it will be the 7Ds mark iii

Last edited by PanTerra; Mar 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:37 AM   #14

Quote:
I would be interested to know how you get on when you try it out.

I tested both lenses tonight on my neighbor's 5D MarkII and they worked. The mirror didn't lock up. The lenses and camera were talking. However, the lens was having a slight speach impediment when focusing, almost like it was stuttering a little when compared to when they focuses on my EOS 3.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:07 AM   #15
Super Moderator

This is one of the reasons I don't buy Sigma lenses.

It's not that they're no good. It's not even that the quality control seems to be much looser than Canon L lenses. It's not even that their coatings make all your pictures look yellow. It's more that you know a Canon lens will keep working on Canon cameras in 5 or 10 years' time.

My Sigma flash, which seemed like a bargain, won't work with my 5DMkII. If I had just sprung the extra few pounds for a Canon at the time I wouldn't have had to buy another flash when I got my 5D2.

I don't think Sigma is cheaper in the long run.

This is probably mostly Canon's fault - I'm sure they tweak their systems in such a way as to precisely mess with older Sigma lenses and flashguns.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
This is one of the reasons I don't buy Sigma lenses.

It's not that they're no good. It's not even that the quality control seems to be much looser than Canon L lenses. It's not even that their coatings make all your pictures look yellow. It's more that you know a Canon lens will keep working on Canon cameras in 5 or 10 years' time.

My Sigma flash, which seemed like a bargain, won't work with my 5DMkII. If I had just sprung the extra few pounds for a Canon at the time I wouldn't have had to buy another flash when I got my 5D2.

I don't think Sigma is cheaper in the long run.

This is probably mostly Canon's fault - I'm sure they tweak their systems in such a way as to precisely mess with older Sigma lenses and flashguns.
It was an expensive lesson. At least I have the 17-40 f4L, 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS, and the 220EX and 520EX flashes.