Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:04 PM   #1

Default 5d Mark ii with Sigma lenses

I know that the 5D Mark ii is compatible with:
Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM &
Sigma 70 - 200 HSM

But I also know that the Sigma Lenses are not Canon's L series of lenses.

I am interested in buying the 5D mark ii, but I'm not interested in buying new lenses as well. Will I be basically throwing money away with the quality of Sigma lenses not being on par with the 5D?

Or are the Sigma lenses pretty much equal to the Canon L series and I shouldn't be concerned.

Thanks
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:50 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Are you talking about those two lenses or others in the Sigma range? Some Sigma lenses are good performers if you get a good copy, some are not so.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:47 PM   #3

Currently I own these two lenses:

24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM

And I'm asking are these two lenses of sufficient quality that I will get maximum performance out of a 5D Mark ii or are they of such quality that they will offset the gains of the 21 mega pixel and other fine qualities.

To say it differently, if the Mark ii was a Ferarri, are these two sigma lenses diesel fuel or high octane? Neither of these lenses is over 6 months old and were bought new.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 7:14 PM   #4
Super Moderator

From the limited info I've seen the 24-70 HSM version is putting out some pretty good resolution and also the vII of the 70-200 is not performing badly either so I don't think you will be in too bad of a position. Yes with the 70-200 at least the Canon is a bit sharper as for the 24-70 I'm not sure as I think Sigma really upped their game with this one over the previous 24-70 (I have one as a backup) which still does a good job.

I would go to a local camera shop and have a play to see what you think with your lenses, that's the best way to see if you are happy, but I wouldn't have a huge issue with either. I'm in the fortunate position to have the Canon 24-105mm f4 and Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS but only use them on a 5D mkI or 1D mkIII.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 2:58 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Firstly the great news is that you will have AF Microadjustment. One of the downsides to non-L construction is that the calibration is more likely to be out. But with Microadjustment you will be able to compensate for that.

The bad news is that with the extraordinary resolution of the 5D2, if your lenses have any decentering or other flaws, then it's going to be far more obvious at 100% view. On the other hand if you are going to be down-rezzing when printing or converting for web output then it won't make any real-world difference.

The 70-200 should be fine. Telephoto lenses in that range are usually very sharp. And the Sigma is great value.

I'd be more worried about the 24-70, and I have to say that the 24-105 L is excellent value when bought in a kit with the camera. In your shoes I would buy the kit and then sell whichever of the standard zooms you didn't like. Which is most likely to be the Sigma.

The 24-105 on the 5D2 is an amazing combination. The 3-stop IS combined with the high-ISO performance of the 5D2 makes for some truly astonishing possibilities. ISO 25600 with 3-stop IS gives incredible possibilities even at f4.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 9:21 AM   #6
Administrator

Here's a new review of the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 HSM.

http://www.lenstip.com/172.1-Lens_re...roduction.html

From the discussion I see in the resolution tests section, they think it's definitely better than the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8, but lags behind the Sony/Carl Zeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 and Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 lenses.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Administrator

Reading more of the review, it looks like the conclusion was even more positive towards the new Sigma 24-70mm (especially as compared to the Canon), calling it the equal of the other lenses tested (and more than equal compared to the Canon).

It doesn't go into a lot of detail on full frame, other than the corners suffered with the aperture wide open (using a D3x to test full frame results with).

So it sounds like you're probably not going to do any better than that Sigma in a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for a Canon body, if the review is consistent with what others find using this lens (keeping sample variation in mind, as Sigma's QC has left something to be desired from time to time).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:01 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
... So it sounds like you're probably not going to do any better than that Sigma in a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for a Canon body, if the review is consistent with what others find using this lens (keeping sample variation in mind, as Sigma's QC has left something to be desired from time to time).
I also agree: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...enses-5-d.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
I know that the 5D Mark ii is compatible with:
Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM &
Sigma 70 - 200 HSM

But I also know that the Sigma Lenses are not Canon's L series of lenses.

I am interested in buying the 5D mark ii, but I'm not interested in buying new lenses as well. Will I be basically throwing money away with the quality of Sigma lenses not being on par with the 5D?

Or are the Sigma lenses pretty much equal to the Canon L series and I shouldn't be concerned.

Thanks
Are you sure about the lens compatibility? I just got an email back from Sigma that said that the 70-200 was not upgradable.

Quote:
My repair technician said unfortunately they are not compatible and the parts are no longer available to make them compatible.

If you reside in the US we can offer you a discounted price on a comparable lens in exchange for the old one (s).
PanTerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2010, 5:03 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Depends how old you are talking about with the 70-200, but the HSM versions should all be fine unless I'm mistaken.