Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default 1D mkIII with dead pixel :(

It seems that my 1D mkIII has managed to lose a pixel just right and low of centre, I'm not a fluffy bunny as it is outside of warranty.

I've tried the trick that I've seen on a few forums of going into the manual lens clean (edit, sorry manual sensor clean mode) with the cap on but that hasn't worked. Any ideas or am I sending it into Canon for a fix, if so what is this likely to cost me (UK)?

BTW I'm not just talking about long exposure/high ISO it is still there at ISO 100 in normal lighting conditions.

Last edited by Mark1616; Jun 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Running the sensor clean routine you mean?
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3

I have had a pixel or two stick on my 5dmk1. Shutting the camera down and removing the battery for a half hour or so did the trick. Good luck!
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

No joy with either of those unfortunately, the stuck/hot pixels are still there which is a pain!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:27 PM   #5
Administrator

Mark:

I don't know about any hidden routines your Canon may have (although I do know that service software was used to remap hot pixels in some of the older Canon dSLR models).

But, you may want to try the same trick that works with Konica Minolta and Sony dSLR models.

Basically, these models have an automatic pixel remap algorithm that gets rid of hot pixels on a monthly basis.

If you want to force it, change the date by setting the month forward by one month and save it. When you power your camera off after changing the month with a KM or Sony model, you'll notice the access lamp staying on for much longer. It appears to take a 6 second dark frame and uses it to remap hot pixels from reports I've seen from people trying to figure out exactly how it works (it's an undocumented feature).

Then, set your date back to where it's supposed to be again (and some of the KM and Sony models will do a second remap after the next power down since they don't seem to care about how the date was changed, just that the month itself changed).

It may not do anything with a Canon. But, it's probably worth a try (in case they decided to implement a similar feature that remaps any hot pixels on a monthly basis).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:42 AM   #6

I have a 50D, and while reading a forum elsewhere, I came across the dead/hot pixel issue. I checked my camera for hot pixels and found two green and one blue hot pixels at 1 sec, ISO400. Higher ISO's and longer exposures even yielded dozens of more hot dots. I got worried and kept reading. Then I found the mirror up manual clean method described above. I quickly applied a manual cleaning but the method did not work out as expected, and the hot pixels were still there. I repeated the manual cleaning a few times with no results. I started thinking about the quality concepts of Canon.
Then I made some more search on the net, and I found out that the crux of the matter should be about the temperature of the sensor during this procedure. I went to the kitchen and put the 50D in the oven, kept it in for 10 minutes. No, just kidding...
The best way to heat up the image sensor seemed to be to leave the live view on for a few minutes. I left the live view on for four consequtive minutes (the camera ended live view at the end of every minute (power saving or protection of the sensor??)). I zoomed in on the TV's flat screen and blurred the focus in order to have every pixel on the sensor receive differing amount of light energy during this waiting. Without letting the sensor cool down, I immediately turned on the manual cleaning, and "voila !", the stubborn three hot pixels were gone, and the high ISO tests were much more cleaner, too. I know 1DMk3 is (surely) capable of mirror up and live view, maybe it will work for you, too.
Berkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I will give that a try later.

I'm impressed, I think you have just won the record for the longest time between joining and making your first post so let me formally welcome you to Steve's as a new poster. Also thanks for an informative post based on practical experience.

Hope you stick around and join in here at Steve's!!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:10 AM   #8

Hey Mark,
It's embarassing, but I just became aware of a forum link on the lefthand side of the main page. For several years, I've been reading the reviews, news and at the DPOTD contests. I don't know why, but it seems I've been registered somehow, years ago, and today I just resurrected my account. I promise to be more active and productive at Steve's..
Berkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

LOL, well it's a good job you have found it now

Currently you are averaging 1 post per 3 years so you will soon get that up hehe.

You should post a new thread in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/we...rself-here-93/ to let us all know a little more about you.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It seems that my 1D mkIII has managed to lose a pixel just right and low of centre, I'm not a fluffy bunny as it is outside of warranty.

I've tried the trick that I've seen on a few forums of going into the manual lens clean (edit, sorry manual sensor clean mode) with the cap on but that hasn't worked. Any ideas or am I sending it into Canon for a fix, if so what is this likely to cost me (UK)?

BTW I'm not just talking about long exposure/high ISO it is still there at ISO 100 in normal lighting conditions.

How are the hot pixels. Did anything work to get rid of them?
old photo is offline   Reply With Quote