Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:26 PM   #1

Default 10D: Fingerprint on mirror

I just got a Canon 10D. There appears to be a small fingerprint smudge on the bottom (most forward) part of the mirror. How do I clean this off, assuming it's a fingerprint? How about using pure, undenatured grain alcohol on a common lens tissue?

By the way, the package looked brand-new and unopened; but I suppose this fingerprint could have been put on by a customer who'd sent the camera back to B&H. I doubt it, though.
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:32 PM   #2

Don't try to do it yourself!
If the camera is new take it in for waranty service or replacement.

The mirror is extremly easy to damage, the silver layer is on top of the glass with no protective coatings on it. It scratches & damages very easily.

Removing dust with a blower is the limit of what I would try to do.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:57 PM   #3

I was afraid somebody'd say that I should take or send my brand-new camera somewhere. In the meantime, I'd called Canon and the girl who answered said to gently rub the spot with a dry lens tissue. I haven't done that, having in mind the apparent abrasiveness of a dry lens cleaning paper.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:05 PM   #4

I tired cleaning the mirror on my wifes rebel-g, and the coating came off. Mirror looked like it had big black spots all over where the silver was missing. Had to have it replaced, so not someting I would try again.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:24 PM   #5

Thanks very much for the advice.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 1:35 AM   #6

I scratched my mirror on my 10D using one of those soft brushes and blower in one that come with any lens cleaning kit. The mirror is incredibly easy to damage.

I would leave the smudge on, it won't do anything to your pictures. (Mirror flips up when exposing the cmos sensor). The worst thing it can do it maybe possibly throw off your exposure reading a little bit. But I don't worry about that either, exposure varies so wildly anyway depending on where you point the camera.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2003, 5:59 PM   #7

Yes, I thought that maybe it wouldn't make any difference to picture-taking per se. Thank you for your comment

Yours, Jackdaw
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:23 AM   #8

Yes, you can clean it off the mirror, no problem, the issues is how do you clean it without leaving the smear on the mirror. You need to use a cleaning solution call: Formula MC, sold only by Portercamera.com ($4.95). This multicoated solution will clean out your finger frint and will not leave any smear on the mirror, use photographic tissue paper to clean, gently, do it in small circle motion.

I do this all the times, and it also work with any lenses too...cheers

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:18 AM   #9

Default Cleaning your Mirror.

It is very easy to clean your mirror, HOWEVER it is also very easy to damage it.
What I us is the Lens Cleaning clothes available from almost any camera shop. Simply breath on the mirror to fog it up, and VERY LIGHTLY use the cloth to remove finger print. If you use hard pressure you can and will damage the Mirror assy. This will come off with VERY LITTLE pressure.

Hope this helps
cameraguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote