Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:49 AM   #1

Default Kit Lens on 500D Good Enough?

I recently bought an Xsi and am thinking about returning it for a 500D. That said, I have read a number of comments on the internet that seem to suggest one of the biggest issues with the 500D is not the camera so much as the quality of the kit lens. That is, the extra resolution on the 500D as compared to the Xsi starts to really highlight the lack of quality in the kit lens. Any comments? I have no investment in glass as this point and don't really have the money right now to buy anything other than the kit lens to start with. Would I notice a downgrade in quality moving from the Xsi to the 500D using the kit lens?
cpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I can't comment on the lens situation as I've not used it on a 500D only briefly on a 400D. What is the XSi not doing that is making you want to replace it with the 500D as we are not talking huge leaps forward?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I can't comment on the lens situation as I've not used it on a 500D only briefly on a 400D. What is the XSi not doing that is making you want to replace it with the 500D as we are not talking huge leaps forward?
I like the Xsi a lot, but looking at the 500D, the video, better resolution on the lcd, a few stops of improvement on the ISO, etc. would all seem to add up to a better starting point for the long run given that I am starting to buy now (I am not upgrading from the Xsi - I still can return it).
cpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4

You have highlighted the difference between the 400D and 500D, if they are important to you should swap. Lens wise the kits lens is fine to a point. Every lens serves a purpose and price point. A 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 are much better but are of course primes and yet very reasonable. That kits lens of course is not the best nor, the fastest in its class. You would want somthing like a Tamron 17-50 constant 2.8 instead of variable 3.5-5-6 on lesser lenses. But the Tamron is a $400 lens not a $100 lens. The Canon version of the constant 2.8 is almost $1000 though about the same in quality.

And yet this is even assuming that 17-50mm is one of your lens needs. Others might walk around with just 85mm.

What do you want to shoot? Does what you want to shoot always have good light, does it move?

Are you going to be using a flash. A flash is a crucial tool to get good shots as light is always key.

If your going to swap you might want to also consider the D5000 Nikon. Its a little more expensive then Canon as they never want to compete the exact same space. So far most of the hot off the press reviews give a nod to Nikon in lower light, higher ISO.

Nikons have also always been a bit stronger in flash and exposure accuracy.

Of course there are Pros and cons to everything piece of equipment.

I personally have Rebel XT, The Tamron 17-50, a Sigma 530DG, and an Alienbee 800. For me I would be hard pressed to swap brands, and I am not even in the market except for window shopping.

Last edited by anthlover; Jun 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:35 PM   #5

Default Learn With the Kit Lens First

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaz View Post
I recently bought an Xsi and am thinking about returning it for a 500D. Would I notice a downgrade in quality moving from the Xsi to the 500D using the kit lens?
If this is your first experience with a DSLR, take the kit lens, use it for a while until you become more familiar with DSLR photography. By then, you will know what kind of lens you actually need.

Then invest in good glass.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:01 PM   #6

Default 18-55 plastic kit lens is an abomination

do you mean the 18-55 zoom that has shipped with every canon dslr since the 300d?

that lens is a disgusting piece of doggy doo. it is an abomination. no one should ever use that lens.

shame on canon for ever making such a lens.

get anything else, anything

50mm 1.8 is a GREAT start for the price, there is no excuse to not have it.

35mm lens (equivalent to 50mm on fullframe) would be good too. You don't need a zoom. move your butt instead
jeffreymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:28 PM   #7

The 18-55mm IS kit lens is a good lens. I still use it on my T2i. It's predecessor, the non-IS version, was not well-regarded.

We'd all like L series glass hanging off the front of our camera bodies. The EF-S 17-55mm IS for $1100 would make an excellent walk-around lens, while the EF 70-200L IS lens for $1800 would cover much of our zooming needs.

Until a business need covers such expenditures, most people will stick to the more affordable options. How much to spend to do better than the kit lens? $750 will yield a good jump in performance.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:01 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymartin View Post
do you mean the 18-55 zoom that has shipped with every canon dslr since the 300d?

...that lens is a disgusting piece of doggy doo. it is an abomination. no one should ever use that lens....
You do realize you're responding to a thread that's over a year old, right? ;-)

The standard kit lens with the XSi is the newer 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (although in some regions, some vendors may bundle the older version instead). It's *not* the same lens that shipped with earlier Canon dSLR models.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum..._s_18_55is_kit

The newer IS version is a very good lens for what it does, and it's much better optically compared to the older non IS version.

You can find a review of it here:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1114/cat/11

Here's the older version (nowhere near as good):

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/137/cat/11
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:14 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymartin View Post

that lens is a disgusting piece of doggy doo. it is an abomination. no one should ever use that lens.

shame on canon for ever making such a lens.

get anything else, anything

50mm 1.8 is a GREAT start for the price, there is no excuse to not have it.

35mm lens (equivalent to 50mm on fullframe) would be good too. You don't need a zoom. move your butt instead
so you took the time to register, to give an uneducated and poorly written joke of a response to a 1 year old post.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:15 PM   #10
Administrator

BTW, Photozone has tested the newer 18-55mm IS lens on both a 350D and the higher resolution 50D (15MP), and found that although it no longer surpasses the sensor's capabilities (as it did on the lower resolution 350D), resolution is still very high with the 50D.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/40...855_3556is_50d

So, the same thing would apply to using it on the 500D the OP was asking about (in June of last year), since it has the same resolution sensor as the 50D.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote