Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:53 AM   #1

Default Canon 5D Mark ll.

I am considering on purchasing the 5D Mark ll, but would it be ok for sport shooting or not? also what would be 2 great lenses for it something like the 24-70L and maybe a zoom thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:24 AM   #2

Is sports shooting your primary purpose?
The fps isn't as good as some other cameras. But, the focus system by most accounts is at least as good as the Canon 50d. Still not as good as the 1-series but a lot less money.

You'll have to do a lot more cropping though - and given the focus system isn't as complex as 1-series you may not get as much reach from the camera as you would a 1-series or even 50D (50d has 1.6x crop factor. 1dmkIII has 1.3x - but because of the more accurate AF system on the 1.3 you can get good focus at about the same range even though subject is smaller in the frame).

I don't have the 5dII, but I suspect you might not get quite the range on it as you would on the 50D.

Having said all of that, if you are using the proper focal length lens on the 5dII, it appears to be at least as capable as the 50D at shooting sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Is sports shooting your primary purpose?
The fps isn't as good as some other cameras. But, the focus system by most accounts is at least as good as the Canon 50d. Still not as good as the 1-series but a lot less money.

You'll have to do a lot more cropping though - and given the focus system isn't as complex as 1-series you may not get as much reach from the camera as you would a 1-series or even 50D (50d has 1.6x crop factor. 1dmkIII has 1.3x - but because of the more accurate AF system on the 1.3 you can get good focus at about the same range even though subject is smaller in the frame).

I don't have the 5dII, but I suspect you might not get quite the range on it as you would on the 50D.

Having said all of that, if you are using the proper focal length lens on the 5dII, it appears to be at least as capable as the 50D at shooting sports.
Thanks JohnG, to tell you the truth i am going back to my home town (Washington State) on July 8th and want to buy a camera while I'm there, the 5D just crossed my mind but also i have been thinking it probably will come down to the 50D or the Pentax K-7 when it is released
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...nt-pentax.html

Hi Hercules,

It's not my intent to restart a war. Recently, a long discussion went on about Pentax and photographing moving objects. The discuss was 'lively', to say the least.

Not sure if the soon to be released Pentax that you are considering is part of this discussion, but you might enjoy reading it.

I am neither pro nor con Pentax, I've never seen a Pentax camera in person so there's no way I can comment. But I thought you might enjoy the reading the comments made at the above thread.

Faithfully Yours;
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...nt-pentax.html

Hi Hercules,

It's not my intent to restart a war. Recently, a long discussion went on about Pentax and photographing moving objects. The discuss was 'lively', to say the least.

Not sure if the soon to be released Pentax that you are considering is part of this discussion, but you might enjoy reading it.

I am neither pro nor con Pentax, I've never seen a Pentax camera in person so there's no way I can comment. But I thought you might enjoy the reading the comments made at the above thread.

Faithfully Yours;
FP
Well actually i was a Canon man owning the 350D, 400D, 450D & 40D then i decided to make a change and i bought the Pentax K20D that is a fine camera as well, who knows maybe buy both and have best of both worlds
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:57 PM   #6
Super Moderator

The best lenses for the 5D2??

Well there is much debate about which is better, the 24-70 f2.8 or the 24-105 f4 IS.

I would say that as long as you don't absolutely need f2.8 then the 24-105 IS is a much better lens. The amazing low-light performance from the 5D2 and the IS and the extra range, and the astonishing sharpness are all gains. Add to that the fact that you save a small fortune by getting it in a kit with the camera and it all adds up to a simple choice.

Don't forget to check out the blur charts and review at slrgear.com.

You can easily afford to get a 50 f1.4 + 24-105 instead of the 24-70. And the former is a far more versatile combination in my view.

For telephoto? I dunno, I'm not the person to ask. My choice is the 70-300 DO (which is actually very impressive on the 5D2), but I hardly ever use anything longer than 50mm, it's about as much telephoto as I need. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote