Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:55 PM   #11

A good shop, small or not, needs a good reputation. If you just bought the camera they should handle it for you.
No, your video workout should have nothing to do with it.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:06 AM   #12
Super Moderator

I hope you get it sorted soon. I've not used my 500D in anything apart from normal non humid sunny conditions and mainly used it for video and all has been fine.

Please let us know how you get on as it is good to be aware of problems and the resolutions just in case another member/visitor comes up with a similar one.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:13 AM   #13

I might have jumped the gun assuming the camera screwed up my memory cards. It dawned on me after my last post that my S2 likely can't handle using SDHC cards anyway.

That being said, my T1 is definitely broken. I'm getting the "Err 50" message after every shot, no matter what picture or focus modes I'm in. And the video function won't work at all now.

Methinks this issue has nothing to do with lens/card/battery connections, and nothing to do with humidity. There appears to be a shutter/mirror issue.

Anyway, I'll know more this afternoon. Taking my camera in on my lunch break and should have some feedback by the end of the day.

When I bought the camera I got the impression that I couldn't bring it back for a refund if I "just didn't like it," because they'd have a used camera on their hands. In a way, I can understand that, not buying in bulk like big box stores. But if the camera is defective, you'd think they'd replace it and then take it up with Canon themselves.

I'll write an update later. Thanks to all of you for the help and advice.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:15 PM   #14

Well, my camera issues may have been resolved. I went back to the camera shop today and spoke to the owner. I explained the updated version of my problem (that the camera was basically useless) and he gave me a brand new one. New body, new lens, new battery. I kept the original strap, manuals, software, etc.

I snapped a few shots at work, just to give it a test drive, and it seems to be working okay. He also ripped off 30 or 40 shots at the store to test it himself. But I have yet to give it a real workout. My only hope is that my issues weren't T1i problems that all users are doomed to experience.

One strange thing happened though. I left the old camera with him while I went home to grab the old warranties and stuff, and when I came back he had the new one all put together for me, including (apparently) my old memory card inside. But the image count is up in the mid-3000s now, and there's no way I took that many shots with it. I wonder if he grabbed a different card by accident, swapped it because he was afraid the first card was to blame, or if it's just a wonky Canon techie glitch. Either way, if the camera works, then I shouldn't be complaining.

The owner was actually very friendly and helpful. I feel bad now assuming an exchange would evolve into an ordeal.

Last edited by Boldstar; Jun 24, 2009 at 4:18 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:16 PM   #15

Default Return it if you can

Return it if you can. That memory card sounded like it might not have been helpful either. You might have to Go with a 40D/50D, better sealing. Odd. I believe the Camera counts photos independent of memory card but that could my mistake.

Lastly after you take your shots and download them to your computer do your reformat the memory card in the Camera? Its a good habit.

Last edited by anthlover; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldstar View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think it must have been a humidity issue. And I'll take your advice re acclimate slowly. But I hope this doesn't turn into a serious issue. I think it's more than reasonable to expect your camera to work in humid conditions.

I'd take a second and third look at humidity as an issue. I live in a very humid country and have even used my 400D in the rain - just wrapped a plastic shopping bag around the camera, cut a hole at the end for the lens and went ahead to shoot in the rain. Had no problems at all during the shoot and even after.

Switched to the 500D just recently and had a situation once where, because of humidity and temperature, the front of the lens fogged up. Shot some photos anyway without any problems - other than a seeming cloud overcast on the pictures. When the moisture disappeared, kept shooting with no problem at all.

Have had error messages both on the 400D and 500D when I use the Sigma 18-125OS lens. But a simple cleaning of the contacts cures the problem.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:37 PM   #17

Well, the new T1i is still going strong. And it's even more humid now than it was back in June. So I'm pretty confident that my problems with the first one didn't have anything to do with humidity. I am curious, however, if using it to capture video was the issue. The problems came on the heels of a few hours of shooting video of my dog jumping off the dock. I guess we'll know soon enough. At least it seems to be fine so far.

Regarding the picture count, the Rebel series cameras do not count shutter actuations. And as far as I know, re-formatting the memory card does not reset the count to zero. In my case it was likely me being mistaken about how many pictures I'd taken with the first unit.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 4:05 AM   #18

Default Acclimate before using

I once read something about letting the camera temperature and humidity content to stabilize before using, when you are going to an environment with a substantial difference in temp/humidity.

If you go from inside a warm house out into a winter environment, for example, you are advised to not turn on the camera right away.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-beginner View Post
I once read something about letting the camera temperature and humidity content to stabilize before using, when you are going to an environment with a substantial difference in temp/humidity.

If you go from inside a warm house out into a winter environment, for example, you are advised to not turn on the camera right away.
It's a good idea to let any type of electronic equipment acclimate before use. Turning on a frozen laptop that you left in the car overnight is a mistake you'll only make once.

But, as I mentioned above, my T1 issue was not related to humidity. The camera was just f****d up.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:05 PM   #20

Default i easily fixed it myself

i got the Err05 on my Canon 500D and fixed it easily.
take a look at the manual i wrote:
http://rapidshare.com/files/428202364/500d_error_05_fix_manual.pdf
uzicohen10 is offline   Reply With Quote