Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 21, 2009, 7:34 PM   #1

Default "Err 50" on my T1i

Got a strange error message tonight trying to take pictures of my dog in the park:

Err 50
Shooting is not possible due to an error.
Turn the camera off and on again.

It started happening when I tried using the AI SERVO focus mode. I'd take one picture and then see the message. Now it's happening in ONE SHOT and AI FOCUS. Very frustrating. Also, the shutter seems to move really slow, regardless of my settings.

I used the camera quite a bit this afternoon taking stills and video with no problem. Of course the manual was useless in helping me... "see an authorized Canon service provider."

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Could it have something to do with going from indoors A/C to outside hardcore humidity? That doesn't sound reasonable, but it's the only thing I can think of.

I've had the same error response using both my kit lens and my EF 50mm 1.4.

Last edited by Boldstar; Jun 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM.
Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2009, 9:15 PM   #2

I did a quick Google search for err 50 and only found a description for cameras that use CF card. It has something to do with not being able to format the card. Since the t1i does not use CF cards, I don't know if it would be a format problem with your camera.

I would suggest you call canon and talk to their service people. They are very helpful and will help you resolve the issue.

Mugmar
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:18 PM   #3

Try cleaning the lens contacts on the camera body and or remove the SD card and replace it. The Rebel series hates high humidity.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 11:42 PM   #4

Tried all the no-brainer stuff... turn off, pull the battery out, wait a while, try a different memory card, switch lenses... It kept happening.

BUT, after a few hours of sitting back inside the A/C, it started working fine again. Could my instinct have been right? That the humidity had something to do with it?

If that's the case, I'll be MEGA angry. Living in southern Ontario, the humidity capital of Planet Earth, how will I ever use my camera outdoors? If humidity is the problem, I'm screwed.

Last edited by Boldstar; Jun 22, 2009 at 7:51 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
I did a quick Google search for err 50 and only found a description for cameras that use CF card. It has something to do with not being able to format the card. Since the t1i does not use CF cards, I don't know if it would be a format problem with your camera.

I would suggest you call canon and talk to their service people. They are very helpful and will help you resolve the issue.

Mugmar
Aside from my first humidity instinct, I kinda wondered if it might be related to the memory card. When I first bought the camera, the shop where I purchased it included an 8GB SDHC card, but it was a sketchy brand name. And at first it wouldn't come out of the camera. Meaning, it'd slide in fine, but pushing to eject wouldn't work. I'd have to (gently) pop it out using the corner of a business card or the end of my Swiss Army knife. Then after trying a different card a few times, which worked properly, the no-name card followed suit and started working properly too.

So... I wonder if the card somehow screwed up the connection points.

The repair guy at the shop where I purchased the camera said "Err 50" is related to lens/battery/memory connection. Ug.

The people at Canon weren't much help. They said they couldn't tell me what "Err 50" meant and that I'd have to ship the camera to them for service if the problem persists.

Right now I'm blaming the crappy memory card. Even though the camera seems to be working okay again, I wonder if the damage has already been done. I wonder if "Err 50" will become a new thorn in my side.

Last edited by Boldstar; Jun 23, 2009 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:21 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Definitely try a new card.

But I suspect it's a new feature put in at the request of forum users. As soon as the camera detects that you are taking a picture of your dog it just crashes so that you can't post it on the forums. (Happens with cats too.) :P
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldstar View Post
Aside from my first humidity instinct, I kinda wondered if it might be related to the memory card. When I first bought the camera, the shop where I purchased it included an 8GB SDHC card, but it was a sketchy brand name. And at first it wouldn't come out of the camera. Meaning, it'd slide in fine, but pushing to eject wouldn't work. I'd have to (gently) pop it out using the corner of a business card or the end of my Swiss Army knife. Then after trying a different card a few times, which worked properly, the no-name card followed suit and started working properly too.

So... I wonder if the card somehow screwed up the connection points.

The repair guy at the shop where I purchased the camera said "Err 50" is related to lens/battery/memory connection. Ug.

The people at Canon weren't much help. They said they couldn't tell me what "Err 50" meant and that I'd have to ship the camera to them for service if the problem persists.

Right now I'm blaming the crappy memory card. Even though the camera seems to be working okay again, I wonder if the damage has already been done. I wonder if "Err 50" will become a new thorn in my side.
I'm thinking you got it right when you said the problem cleared up after being in the ac for a while. The Rebel series is very problematic with humidity. Pretty much anything electronic is, but the Rebel hates humidity. Canons tv ad for the XSi and T1i show football photos in the rain. Don't do it! Keep your Rebel dry and if you are going from a cool dry air conditioned building or car, out into high heat and humidity, let it acclimate slowly or the problem you had will happen again.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
Definitely try a new card.

But I suspect it's a new feature put in at the request of forum users. As soon as the camera detects that you are taking a picture of your dog it just crashes so that you can't post it on the forums. (Happens with cats too.) :P
I tried a different card as soon as I got home again... same issue. The only thing that seemed to make a difference was a few hours of A/C.

Don't worry, I'm not posting shots of my dog here on Steve's!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokachr View Post
I'm thinking you got it right when you said the problem cleared up after being in the ac for a while. The Rebel series is very problematic with humidity. Pretty much anything electronic is, but the Rebel hates humidity. Canons tv ad for the XSi and T1i show football photos in the rain. Don't do it! Keep your Rebel dry and if you are going from a cool dry air conditioned building or car, out into high heat and humidity, let it acclimate slowly or the problem you had will happen again.
The more I think about it, the more I think it must have been a humidity issue. And I'll take your advice re acclimate slowly. But I hope this doesn't turn into a serious issue. I think it's more than reasonable to expect your camera to work in humid conditions. I'm only half joking about southern Ontario being the humidity capital of the world. I know it's not the jungle, but it's pretty ridiculous. I don't want to have camera issues every summer.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:15 PM   #10

Well, new developments for those of you following this riveting thread...

Now I'm getting an "Err 20" and I can't see through the shutter. At least not for a minute or two after turning it on. And when I took out the memory card to format and use in my S2, it won't let me do it. Jeez.

I made a plan with the owner of the shop where I bought it... bringing it in tomorrow for a once-over. I wonder how that'll go. My fear is that being a small town shop, they won't exchange the camera or refund my money. I hope I'm wrong. I'd rather not have to deal with Canon and wait a month for them to try to repair it.

Unless it's a universal problem with the T1i. I wonder if the video workout I gave it on the weekend somehow screwed up the shutter/mirror...