Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 6, 2003, 4:04 PM   #1

Default 300d vs d100

this is just my simple tests i did at ritz camera to help make my decision of either canon or nikon. i took some pics to compare cameras( i had to use a 300d because the 10d is hard to find-picture quality is the same). i took these shots with both cameras on full auto and here are the results(these shots are straight out of the camera). the first shot is of some bears that were in the store. this shot proved another instance of where canon a has a wierd focusing issue and to my surprise the colors are dull. the d100 did well with this shot and focused how i wanted it to and provided a picture rich in color. the second is a battery stand. this is a close race with this shot, as both cameras did well. but, the nikon had some blue halo on the large white letters( might be from the angle and flash) :roll: . the cannon produced a clean and sharp image. so basically it's all about preference and needs. my choice from this little test is the d100. it did exactly what i wanted it to do(with focusing) and gave me some nice bright colors.

http://www.pbase.com/macaholik/300d_vs_d100
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:26 PM   #2

So whats your point?
Why didn't you post it on Nikon forum where your bias lies?
divco-honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:13 PM   #3
NHL

The point is the person behind the camera and not the camera in itself is at fault here! Both camera performed admirably BTW:

The 1st picture is clearly off focus... in the area where the 300D has actually locked focus on (and where the evaluative metering will be) ie the left half, the exposure is perfectly fine there! :lol:
The metering is right on in the 100D case since the focus point was spot on as well! The 2nd picture clearly showed the 300D work well when its focus has locked on properly (and so is its evaluative metering around the AF point)

The Halo on the 2nd picture is mainly caused by a poor lens and not in the D100 itself... (ie a bad Canon lens will perform as bad) or more likely it could be caused by strong glare from the strong flash reflection off the metal rack. Again the photographer is at fault here since the angle shot by the Nikon's camera is head on rather than slighly off to the side as on the Canon's shot!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:26 PM   #4
djb

was flash used in both sets of pics? if so, it seems to me that the canon's flash did not go off in the first pic. it looks like a natural light pic and appears to be your shadow at the bottom of the pic. if this sis so, then it is not a good comparison.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:30 PM   #5
NHL

Both pictures have flash on from their shadows. The Nikon's one must have a longer lens (or hood) casting this particular shadow when the built-in flash is used at close distance!
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:34 PM   #6
djb

oops!! sorry it was the d100 with the shadow. also, maybe my eyes aren't so good but, i don't see the canon pic of the bears as being dull. the picture definitely is brighter. to me, anyway.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:42 PM   #7
NHL

I don't find it dull either... The camera is clearly focusing on the wrong bears (ie how does it know which bear you want to focus on?), but the ones it picked are clearly well exposed!

This is just a case of a user fault that can easily be solved by getting more familiar with each camera... BTW the Canon has a wider 7 points AF area which makes it works better in some situation, but in this case the tightly grouped 5 AF points on the Nikon does a better job (ie it all depends on the size of the bears and how they filled the frame!) 8)
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:28 AM   #8

I own a Canon 300D.

Addressing the focusing "problem": the 300D is always locked in AI Focus, meaning that it tries to track objects in real time. This type of focusing is a bit unpredictable, and takes some getting used to. But, after shooting a few shots you quickly learn how to get the camera to focus on what you want. Rebel's more expensive older brother, the 10D allows for disabling the AI Focus for more predictable focusing.

Addressing the image quality: In my experience, Nikon sensor are in the dark ages when compared to the new Canons. Your practice shots do nothing to really test the cameras. If you try low light conditions and higher ISO settings, you will quickly notice that the Nikon sensor is far more noisy. So, in that respect, Canons are ahead.

I would suggest reading in depth reviews at DPReview.com
igr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:27 AM   #9

thanks for all the replies!!! this was just a simple test to see how the cameras handled the pics in full auto. i'm wasn't saying one was better than the other . i read the reviews on dpreview, dcresource, and imaging-resource.com prior to testing. i am just coming to the conclusion which one is fitting my needs better more than canon is( d100- faster focusing, better low-lite focusing, and it's AF assist lamp). canon and nikon are both good cameras and it's soo hard to choose. i just wanted to share my experience with you all, and it's so hard when all the cameras are so close to each other. and that there is no "perfect" camera out there. :P
pspeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:09 PM   #10

When you buy into a camera with replaceable lenses, you are buying into a system. You will spend way more in lenses than you will for a single camera body. You will replace the camera body eventually (some its 2 years, some its 5. But it will be replaced.) The lenses live forever (hopefully!)

Make sure that the lenses that you need are there in the system you choose. In some cases both have what you want, so that won't help. In other cases itís much clearer. I do nature photography mostly, so (for me) that means longer lenses. Canon has cheaper long lenses than Nikon, and they have image stabilization (Nikon doesn't in their long lenses.) Also, Canon's 100-400L lens is better than Nikon's 80-400. (Of course, Nikon's 200-400 f4 that is due out soon looks to be really good.) This made the choice of going with Canon much easier.

Look at the purchase as the entrance into a system of lenses and equipment (that is part of the reason they can afford to sell the 300D so cheap.) So look at all of it, not just the body.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote