Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:53 PM   #1

Default Shutter durability and Exif data viewer

As a novice I am aware that shutters have a limited life, eg an EOS 5D has somewhere around 100K exposures. I am also told that Exif data held with images records the number of times that the camera shutter has been activated with each picture taken.

Being able to view this count therefore enables a good assessment of 'where a camera has been', so to speak.

But, and here is my issue, having tested a number of Exif viewers, with some really good ones out there (eg ExifPro!), I now realise that it is not clear what parameter I am looking for. Therefore, I cannot tell if the viewer lists this count.

If someone knows of a tool that lists this information for a Canon EOS 5D, and can tell me what parameter value I am looking for in the list displayed, I would really appreciate this input.
peterfisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I didn't think that such things were recorded in EXIF, it's the first I've heard of it.

Usually the best you can do is the autonumbering on the file name, which is not a reliable measure.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:36 AM   #3

That is fair comment; however, I have input that suggests Exif data will record this fact. But I am still looking for input on how to read it, ie what to use and what to look for.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:59 AM   #4
NHL

peripatetic is correct - You can not determine shutter count from the EXIF as this info varies with the CF card inserted (or can be reset)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=316454
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5

Default Shutter count on Canons

Well there is some interesting input here; and elsewhere. Having checked much on the internet on this issue, I find it interesting to note that the discussion often moves to the assumption that this is about a concern on durability of the shutter.
Actually it is not. I own a 5D Mk One and have just put my money down for a Mark II.
Wanting to sell the Mk 1, I merely wanted to be in a position to advise the buyer of the fact about use as indicated by the shutter count.
Basically, this is my input:
  • Having called Canon in Australia, they confirm that the parameter is inaccessible to the user; but they will read it for me free of charge.
  • This, I think, is not a good position to take. The camera can be connected to a computer by anyone, so why this parameter should not be made available makes little sense. Why so protective about it?
  • Also, replacing the shutter is apparently no big deal and does not involve heaps of money - I have seen input about a few hundred Dollars, which seems tolerable seeing that the camera should last for a very long time.
  • As a novice, I opted for an upgrade because the Mk II fixes a number of issues I had with the Mk I - not being able to shoot from the computer with a feed of the live image being one of them - not enabling RAW in the fully auto mode (yes novices use that) being another - and then of course there is more detail, selfcleaning of the sensor and Video.
So there we have it; and thanks for the various inputs
Old Jul 8, 2009, 2:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I'm not sure anyone disagrees with you that it would be a good idea, I think it would be cool.

I suppose it's possible Canon hang on to the "secrecy" because if they tell people how to publish it then someone will hack it soon thereafter. OTOH it's not clear how useful a secret value is anyway. *shrug*
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 6:08 PM   #7

There really is a software for your purpose. Here is the link:

http://astrojargon.net/files/misc/40dshuttercount.zip

...or the web page for it:

http://astrojargon.net/40dshuttercount.aspx

Just follow the instructions. Although it is for the 40D, I checked it on two different 50Ds, and it gave exact shutter counts of the machines.

You must have Canon's EOS Utility software set up on your computer, then just unzip and copy the .exe file in the same folder as your EOS utility resides. Then double click the .exe file.Press the "get shuttr count" button, and it gives you the 'odometer'..

Hope this helps...
Berkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:56 PM   #8
NHL

The two links previously posted said:
"It will not work on the 1D*, 5D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 300D, 350D, and 400D... It's not that I have anything against the owners of those cameras, but simply that the Canon SDK does not support retrieving the shutter count for them."

Last edited by NHL; Jul 8, 2009 at 11:59 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 3:04 AM   #9

Yeah,I checked. Unfortunately that piece of software works only for Digic 3 and 4 based machines.
Berkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:17 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfisp View Post
not enabling RAW in the fully auto mode (yes novices use that) being another,
I thought this was interesting as I would hope anyone who invests in an expensive Pro level body would also get some of the basics covered off so that this wasn't the case otherwise they are really losing out on the creative ability of this wonderful tool and would be equally well off with a 50D and some better quality glass.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote