Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:26 AM   #1

Default 500D video capacity

I'm really impressed with the video quality this camera can produce , what bothers me is it's size limitations , like stated in the reviews :
"You can keep recording until you hit the 4GB file size limit, which takes roughly 12 minutes".
Is this crackable ? any way to make it an unlimited capacity only depended on size of memory card ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:59 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Sorry to say that the limit is the file format and it is something we are stuck with. The only problem comes when shooting something long without a cut however I've not had that problem yet with my SX1, 500D or 5D mkII.

Is there something specific you want to shoot that would require this length?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:00 AM   #3
Administrator

I really hate to see it, since it's yet another proprietary format, and I really wish camera manufacturers would go to an open source file system instead, especially after the patent lawsuits and legal battles over the use of FAT32 (with Microsoft charging licensing fees if card manufacturers want to format their cards with it).

But, chances are, we'll start seeing cameras using the new Microsoft exFAT (Extended FAT) file system at some point, proprietary or not.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa914353.aspx

It gets around the 4GB file size limitation you have with FAT32 (the file system used by most current camera models). It also looks like the new SDXS cards are going to use exFAT
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:03 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I really hate to see it, since it's yet another proprietary format, and I really wish camera manufacturers would go to an open source file system instead,
Hehe, I thought that might get your back up and yes it is a pain. Another thing they could do is have something for video that is like continuous shooting in film..... as soon as it gets to 4Gb it starts writing a new file, yes there might be a really small break but better than we could do hitting the record button again.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:09 AM   #5
Administrator

I don't remember the specific brands/models, but some current cameras do automatically start a new file after 4GB is reached, which is one way around the issue.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:15 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Yep, but like said as yet it hasn't been a problem for the shooting I've done.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 7:05 PM   #7

The new Panasonic GH-1 can shoot till the memory card is full , so why not the 500D ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote