Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:00 AM   #1

Default Rebel 300D. Not sure what to do. Can someone help?

Just purchased the Rebel Digital last week. I have very limited photo experience. I'm having problems in photographing fast moving objects in a poorly lit indoor environment. I know for fast moving objects, you need to have the shutter speed very fast but the pictures comes out all very dark (under exposed?). But to have the proper exposure, I need to have the shutter speed set longer. With this, the objects comes out all blurry. Is there a solution?
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:15 AM   #2

You need to purchase some fast lenses, lenses with maximum aperture range from F/1.0 to F/2.8, and they are very expensive, cost more than your camera price, especially the Canon EF 50mm F/1.0, price is 3 times more than the cost of the 300D

If you want to control lighting for your shot, purchase some powerful monolights and set up to shoot, at least to can shoot up to 1/200 for the shutter speed and the duration of the flash will freeze the fast moving subject for you. You will need a flash meter to assist you in determine the correct exposure for multi-flash shooting.

Other than that, you will under-exposure the subject any time you shoot indoor (low lit area) with fast moving sujects with slower lenses (i.e. F/ 3.5-5.6)
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 5:43 PM   #3
-jb

Default Re: Rebel 300D. Not sure what to do. Can someone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer
I'm having problems in photographing fast moving objects in a poorly lit indoor environment.
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger here... Everyone has this problem...

First thing to try is to bump your "film" speed. The 300D can boost the ISO setting to 1600. Better to have a sharp picture with a bit of grain than a blurry picture.

Try ISO 1600 and set your 300D to AV with the largest aperture of your fastest lense. That will give you the fastest shutter speed for the equipement you have.

I don't know what you're shooting, but another approach might be using flash.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:24 PM   #4

Thank you for all your suggestions. I don't think buying a lens that is 3 times the price of the 300D is an option though. jb, I'm shooting horse back jumping inside a large arena. The flash might not work since they could be 1-2 hundred feet away. I will try the ISO settings and see what happens. Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:36 PM   #5

It 's a good solution but any time you set the ISO >than 400, you are taking the trade off in consideration, it will introduce noise in your picture, especially in the case of ISO 1600, you picture will look very noisy in the dim lit scence. It works the same way on film camera, you will get grainy picture when shooting with higher ISO rated film. cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 1:40 AM   #6
-jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
It 's a good solution but any time you set the ISO >than 400, you are taking the trade off in consideration, it will introduce noise in your picture, especially in the case of ISO 1600, you picture will look very noisy in the dim lit scence. It works the same way on film camera, you will get grainy picture when shooting with higher ISO rated film. cheers
ISO 1600 is certainly noisier than ISO 100... no doubts there.

But, if the ISO 100 pictures are not useable, what other choice does he have? (Other than buying a 400mm /F2.8 lens.)

I say shoot at 800 or 1600 and use NeatImage or something to get the noise out. A sharp, clear image with some grain looks a heck of a lot better than a grainless blurry shot.

http://www.neatimage.com/index.html

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2003, 3:59 PM   #7

After trying to take pictures at ISO 800 and 1600, the pictures were just too dark. So...I went and bought a USED 28mm/f1.8. So far comparing with the 18-55mm lense that came with my 300D, the pictures are just amazing with the 28mm/f1.8 under limited lightng. So far I'm happy with the results with the limited testing that I've done. BTW, the lenses I bought is a SIGMA 28mm/f1.8 II. I know, I know... it's not a Canon....I went cheap... but what can you do when you're just a hobbiest on a tight budget. :mrgreen:
Old Dec 1, 2003, 6:57 PM   #8

If you don't need a zoom, Canon has a very nice inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lens that can be had for less than 70 bucks. Problem is finding them in stock. They literally fly off the shelves.

B&H is out of stock right now, but I'm getting one as soon as they get more in:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=12142&is=USA
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 7:17 AM   #9

Wow! That's good to know. Thank you!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 6:28 PM   #10

They're back in stock at B&H. Get 'em while they're hot! I'm sure they'll be gone in another day or two.
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote