Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Closed Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Canon 5d Mark ii - what a disappointment!!!

So much has been said and written about the 5d Mark ii. I have been reading the reviews and looking at the sample pictures (some, to be honest I wasn't very impressed with the quality)...Since I have been a Canon enthusiast I took the dive and bought 5d Mark ii. I handled it with an utmost care as I never cared for any of my cameras. I took some 50 pictures with the telephoto lens (they were OK). I tried the video future but the buzzing from the telephoto's IS motor was unbearable. The video wasn't what I expected but I think it was my fault since I have not spent much time trying to figure out the best settings for it, or was it my fault, uhm???. Anyway, for this much of money someone would expect a very solid camera! This afternoon I took the 5d Mark ii to take some outdoor pictures. I took off the lens cover, turned the camera on and looked into the viewfinder. To my surprise I saw two black horizontal lines inside the viewing area. That puzzled me. I took the lens off and a piece of something white fell out on the sidewalk. It was the mirror. The black lines were the frame for the mirror. It has never happened to any of my cameras. This one I handled with an extra care. I has not been shaken, dropped or anything of this matter. How on heaven it got out of the frame and fell out??? Immediately I returned it to the store for a replacement, which will come in in couple of weeks. I was fortunate it happened only after a few days after the purchase. Now I am debating if I should invest so much money for something that may bring so much grief at any time. Is Canon losing it's quality??? Beware of the expensive lemons out there!!!

Last edited by Lucas2009; Aug 14, 2009 at 7:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:17 PM   #2
spy

I am buying my 5d mark ii in 2 weeks and am looking forward to bring it home. I wouldn't put too much worry in what happened with this one. There are 'lemons' with everything you by and other things will out last and go beyond what might be expected. You win some, you lose some but of course we never want to deal with a new item that breaks down as soon as you bring it home especially when it costs that much.

I am planning on keeping my 20d only as a back up body as this is just wise to do. I've heard many times if your shooting an important event be it a wedding or something other, you should always be prepared for the 'what if' the camera fails. Just know it could happen and be prepared just in case.

I hope you have better luck with the next one.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 8:51 PM   #3

I just finished reading some reviews on www.fredmiranda.com although no one reported a problem of that "magnitude" there were some posts that made you think twice. I agree with you that there are "lemons" out there, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. I just hate to think I would lose again, lol! I, too have, 20D and I am happy with it. I am very happy with my Sony A100 as well (very solid body, no mechanical problems whatsoever! to be honest I was thinking about going with the newest Sony before investing in 5d Mark ii). After hearing so much "good" things about Canon 5d Mark ii, I took a risk and I got burnt, ouch!!!

I still have some time to think about the replacement. Who knows how it will end... maybe the love affair with Canon will end right there, lol!

Anyway, good luck to you too with your new 5d mark ii.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:35 AM   #4

I too am on the verge of ordering the 5DMkII. I have been diligently reviewing user comments on the camera. No one has reported any problems that I have read (except yours). There does seem to be an availability shortage of the camera at my usual purchase sites (BH Photo and Amazon). So I am still waiting. Hopefully Canon's production backlog will not impact quality. This is an expensive camera (relatively).
Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:27 AM   #5

I myself am still in a shock ... It was something I would not expect from a Canon product but the truth is it was a CANON PRODUCT! We will never know how many defective cameras were out there in the world (only Canon knows!). Some people will never post anything good or bad. I wish everyone who spent their money on 5dmark ii to have only a great experience. I know I had before I looked into the viewfinder ...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:38 AM   #6
Super Moderator

No-one except Canon knows how many defective units leave the factory, but that's why they give a guarantee. To improve QC to the point where no defective units ever shipped would raise the price a lot. Also it's possible that the box was dropped during shipping or something like that. Too many variables.

Anyway - mine's been fine so far. Fingers crossed your next one will be okay. Good luck.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 4:22 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your problems and like the others I really hope that then next one is fine. I've been perfectly happy with my 5D mkII so far. As for video, it is not like shooting with a P&S or video camera. You need to be far more planned in what you shoot and how you shoot it. If I want to take normal (simple) video I use my SX1, if I want good quality more artistic video then go for the 5D. The quality of video really rocks if you put some time into getting it right.

Going back to quality I have a Canon 30D from 2006, a 5D from 2007, 1D mkIII from 2008 and this year a 500D/T1i and also the 5D mkII, none of which I have had a problem with.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:23 AM   #8

Honestly speaking I do not care about the video feature in Canon 5d Mark ii. I would live without it.
Yes, we may speculate on the reasons for such a "freak injury" to my camera. Personally, I do not really care who, when and how. The only thing I know I paid a lot of money and I did not get what I paid for. As a customer of Canon I have a right to say: "You made a lemon!". No amount of praises for Canon will stop me from feeling cheated on this one. I too have other Canon cameras (FOUR of them!) and I am very happy with them. But it was not the case with this one! As a matter of fact I had a high respect for Canon products ( I have invested a lot of money in cameras, lenses and other accessories). Sometimes we have to accept the fact that there is something wrong going on with the "beloved maker".
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:26 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong I wasn't saying that Canon is perfect just talking from personal experience and recognising that you had a bad example of an otherwise lovely camera.

I also like some Sigma products even though I've had some bad ones, once I get a sharp copy then I've been very pleased.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:46 AM   #10

Lucas,

With all due respect you need to keep things in perspective. EVERY manufacturer and EVERY camera or lens model on the market has the occasional defective unit. It happens. That's why warranties exist. One of the Pentax users had to return her new K-7 for a replacement. Is Pentax the worst manufacturer ever? No. Was she disappointed? Yes. But she sent it back and got a replacement and moved on. Yes it's unfortunate you got a defective unit. Return it and get a new one. Or, if you're so traumatized, buy another brand. But every brand out there serves up defective units. To me, that's only an issue to be concerned about when the problem is wide-spread. I haven't heard of mirror breaks with the 5dII as being a commonly occuring issue.

Closed Thread