Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:10 PM   #1

Default 10d shutter - repair possibilities

ERR99 - tried-done all the usual stuff, the shutter will open and close for the sensor clean but will not open when taking a photo - it does move a real small amount when you try to click, like it is trying to move.

I have already tried all the battery/firmware/contacts/lens changing ways to correct ERR99 - etc.

question.... I am not adverse to tearing this apart and attempting a $50 replacement shutter repair on my own, I have seen step by step instructions and it seems doable, besides the camera isn't worth a $250 Canon repair. I would tear it apart before purchasing the shutter.

Question is, is it really a broken shutter? If it didn't work period I would go for it, but it does open for sensor cleaning so now I wonder.

Thanks
David A.
David Aldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2009, 4:41 PM   #2

David, at the risk of sounding like a smart aleck(which I'm not), I think you have already answered your own question. If the shutter works at all , then you may assume the shutter works, period. What it doesn't do is work when you want to take a pic, so a good place to start troubleshooting would be at the easiest point, the shutter button.

Have you tried all the different modes-p, a, s, m, scene modes? Does it still not work?

When you half-press the shutter release, does the camera autofocus?

Does it show meter info?

Just food for thought, since I am not a camera repairman...Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress, someone else may know what this is from experience, so hang in there...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:19 PM   #3

The shutter itself may be fine, since it does actuate in the cleaning mode. The problem sounds like it is in the timing circuit. Depending on the design, it may or may not be an actual part of the shutter.
I would send it in for an estimate before I would dive in. There is a lot more going on inside than you think.
Did Canon give you the $250 repair price, or just a guess?
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:19 PM   #4

I have tried all modes and combinations of modes and reverse modes, with mirror lock up, bulb exposure, upside down -although this made me dizzy .

The camera goes through all the motions of working properly except when you press the buttom it gives a sick dull shutter sound, not the usual vibrant slick/pop sound and you can see it try to move, like it wants to move but something is buggered up. The shutter looks ok, nothing is obviousely whacked, I have another 10d to compare too as well. I have also been through the Rebel 300d broken actuator pin scenario where the mirror won't lock up. just some of my background experience exposure.

I understand that something is astray and it may be more than just the shutter, especially since it opens/closes just fine with the sensor clean process.

Why would it 'stick' so to speak when clicking a photo but not when you go through the sensor clean process? Its like the sensor clean uses a different 'system' to engage the shutter, which I find hard to believe.

I am looking for an asnwer like - the sensor clean uses a different actuator and thats why one works and the other doesn't, or they use the same actuator but via a different sub actuator and its the sub actuator for the photo taking process that is bent perhaps (hence the slight movement and dull sound), and the sensor sub actuator obviousely is still ok, ....or????

I wouldn't mind saving several hours tearing apart if someone can affirm that I am not going to succede as this. right now the mystery is compelling.

thanks for the help
David A.

Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:21 PM   #5

Shadokachr

I am just guessing at the shutter repair price based on google searches.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:29 AM   #6

simplify the question....

if the shutter fails when taking picture (it tries to work and all other functions of the camera appear to work normal)

but the shutter works for sensor cleaning....

is it a bad shutter or bad electronics or bad?... is it worth trying to replace the shutter or some other part?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:04 PM   #7

I don't know if it's against forum rules, but are you willing to sell it?
pentaxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:48 PM   #8

I am inclined to buy another broken 10d myself that has a broken shutter (assuming my shutter is good and my electronics are bad)

Besides I have another 10d that works perfect and this would remain a good parts backup for me, for now.

If its ok to talk about "not selling" that is

So the question is... do you know something I don't know?

Or are you needing some puny little $5 part hoping I will sell it all for a miserable $25 or something because thats all it worth? I am inclined to keep it for my own $5 part source.

David A.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:45 AM   #9

My old original Digital Rebel would produce the ERR 99 on an occasional basis but when it became regular occurrence I sent it to Canon for repair. Canon replaced the shutter, $200. At the time it was worth the cost. Just FYI.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote