Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Canon 50D or T1i?

When I look at the specs. on both of these cameras they seem to be almost identical? Which one is better...
Dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:32 PM   #2

Niether is necessarily "better". The 50d is Canon's prosumer DSLR and has the following advantages:
1) More external controls
2) better build quality (metal vs. plastic)
3) 6fps shooting (vs. 3fps in 500d)
4) Better viewfinder magnification
5) According to some, still better AF performance algorithms although both cameras share the same AF array. Canon doesn't say anything about the algorithms so it's tough to tell if there is any merit to this claim.

On the T1i side, the bonuses are:
1) smaller / lighter
2) has video
3) some claim the high ISO processing is better than 50D (it was released a year after the 50d so presumably Canon tweaked some things)

The T1i is a great camera. You should handle both though - the size/feel/ergonomics/build quality are different. So, handling both cameras may drive you towards one over the other. IMO it's a matter of FPS/Build quality of 50d vs. video/price of the 500D.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Super Moderator

What sort of thing do you want to shoot? The body can have an affect on that as well as the glass you use. A 500D with good glass will be much better than a 50D with cheap glass.

Handling as John says is also a key part.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:34 PM   #4
elo

I was on the same boat, $ being a huge factor. I was willing to spend more to get a better camera but I ended up going with the T1i because of the size. I did not feel comfortable with the 50D. Yeah it is that much bigger. But allot of people prefer the larger 50D. Just like other have told and will tell you go feel both before you decide.
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:02 PM   #5

I will be shooting mostly for pleasure, home, family, still... I have an artsy side in my shooting. I used to shoot private weddings and sports but havn't for about 10years. I used to use a Canon Elan II and then digital came out and I couldn't afford a comparable at that time. I bought the Canon G1. It was a good camera and I used it with my lights but it had a terrible battery life. Since then i have doing the P&S and can't take it anymore and want a better camera. I have all my EF lenses so I only need the body.

I like the 50D because of the size, durability and speed. I am not worried about the extra expense, this is not an issue. I guess the other reason I like the 50D is because I may get back in to shooting for money and this is (supposed to be) a more professional body.

I still wonder which camera is better? Maybe I should wait for the 60D? The problem is when do I stop waiting for the next model??? I have the itch right now to get back in to photography... I could always buy the T1i now and then the 60D when it arrives? (my wife will kill me, but it might be worth it)

By the reply in your post about the lenses you kind of agree with me that they are pretty comparable except for FPS and body!

THAT DON'T HELP MUCH!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:57 PM   #6

Try them both and look closely at the features of both. Ease of use and precise control is key when shooting on assignment. I used to shoot with the Elan II and IIe as well as an A2. I then went digital, still have an Elan II and the A2, with the XSi. It was a great camera, but It left me wanting more. I went with the 50D not only from an image quality standpoint, but a serious and robust body to boot. The T1i is a gem, but I shoot video professionally and I have no need for my DSLR to shoot video. I quit shooting stills professionally years ago, but I still want the features on my DSLR that I would use if I still did. Example; dedicated live view button and interchangeable focusing screens.
The T1i is a nice camera, but feels like a toy compared to the 50D. Just one of the many reasons I went with the 50D.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

A warning about your idea that all your old EF lenses will be good enough, and you should get the body only.

They may be. But they may not.

In general the consumer-grade pre-digital zooms don't fare all that well when put on a modern high-resolution DSLR. Lens design has improved a lot over the last 10 years or so.

The chief thing to consider though is the "crop factor" to get an equivalent angle of view you need to take into account that the diagonal of the sensor on the 500D/50D cameras is 1.6x smaller than 35mm film. This means that you should multiple the lens' focal length by 1.6 to get an idea of the angle of view you will get from your old lenses.

Your old 28-80 zoom for example will give the same angle of view as a 43-128mm lens would have on the Elan.

I therefore strongly recommend you take advantage of one of the kit lenses, they usually come with a nice discount if you get them at the same time as the body.

Remember for wide angle you need to think of a focal length around 17mm on a crop DSLR. A standard zoom on the smaller sensor cameras is now something in the 18-55 range. (*1.6 => 28 - 88mm equivalent).

The difference between the 500D and the 50D? Well they will give almost identical image quality, but the 50D is a much nicer camera.

Last edited by peripatetic; Aug 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Super Moderator

oops, didnt read entire thread.

If you want to shoot professionally, grab the 50d.

If you are going to ease back into it and start shooting pro later. You will need a backup. You could always get the Rebel now, work on getting some glass/external flashes, etc with saved money.

And when you are ready to get back into it professionally, grab a 60D, use your rebel as your 2nd body.

as was mentioned image quality is a non-issue here

Last edited by Hards80; Aug 18, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:33 AM   #9

Has anyone heard of when the 60D might be released? I was thinking the same thing...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:04 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomite View Post
Has anyone heard of when the 60D might be released? I was thinking the same thing...
I initially thought of Photokina which is in September but now after thinking again it is every other year (next one in 2010) so there might not be anything until early next year unless they announce away from one of the really big shows. I think with the Nikon D300s having video added that the 50D will need an upgrade soon. The question is can they wait until after Christmas to get something in the market and lose out as they have a bit of a gap now.

So I would guess in the next couple of months but can't say for sure.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote