Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:49 PM   #11

Default fuzzy D50

here is a photo I shot with a 300 @ F5.6 at 640- ISO 200- the photo was reduced to 100 DPI to upload it so it may look sharp at a small size but if you blow it up to 100% or more you will see what I mean
Attached Images

awg31650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:55 PM   #12

Default fuzzy 50D

Here is another one shot with a 300 2.8 shot at 160 @ 2.8 on a tripod - Sherry Johnstone- Levi Johnstone's mother in court.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:58 PM   #13

Default fuzzy 50D

oops - wrong photo
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:11 PM   #14

Default fuzzy 50D

here is a photo I shot when I first got the camera and sent it back- the images look better than this now but still look fuzzy. This was shot with a 28-300 IS zoom with the focus on the musher's face on AF servo mode.
Granted it was about 10 below but the cold never affected my other bodies.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:15 PM   #15

this image was shot with a 300 2.8 and 1.4 converter with a Canon 5D- the imges look sharper than the 50D even with the converter.
Attached Images

Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:17 PM   #16

Default fuzzy 50D

this image was shot with a 300 2.8 and 1.4 converter with a Canon 5D- the imges look sharper than the 50D even with the converter.
Attached Images

Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:56 AM   #17

Are these pics processed with Canons DPP software? I don't use DPP because my photos look similar when run through DPP.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:57 AM   #18
Super Moderator

How does it fare when it comes to One-Shot AF mode?
How about manual focus on a static subject?

In Servo mode the camera will shoot whether it can achieve a focus lock or not.

I don't know whether you are seeing:

1. A broken camera:
1.a Sub-normal Servo focussing on 50D. In early 1D3 models there was a definite manufacturing flaw in the AF mirror placement which was doing this sort of thing. Perhaps that's what you are seeing with your 50D.
1.b A camera that just can't take any in-focus pictures - perhaps due to sensor mis-alignment or something.

2. Normal (but poor) Servo focussing on 50D.

It is also worth shooting some tests with rulers or brick paving or something similar to see if you can start isolating the variables. Shoot at different distances, with different lenses, different lighting, different focus modes, etc. [I know you would never shoot such things in the real world, but the idea of testing is to control variables so that they can be varied one at a time to establish where the problem is.]

My guess at this stage is simply that the Servo focussing system on the 50D isn't up to the job that you want it to do, that the camera is probably operating within spec. but that it's just not good enough for your requirements. The only answer to that is to use 1-series cameras, or make do with OneShot focus mode or switch to Nikon. :-(

Last edited by peripatetic; Aug 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:16 AM   #19
Administrator

The editor you used to downsize those images stripped out the EXIF metadata. So, we can't look for settings issues that may have contributed to the problem. If you're using Photoshop to downsize them, don't use Save for Web (that strips out the EXIF metadata). Use Save As instead. Or, use something like the free Irfanview to downsize them. See my last post on the first page of this thread for more info:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...fuzzy-50d.html

I'd also try resetting everything back to factory defaults. See my posts on the first page of this thread for info on how to do that.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:51 AM   #20

Honestly, just contact CPS and send the camera and lens into them. That's what you pay them for. Something obviously isn't working right and I think we can rule out newbie mistakes so let CPS figure it out. THey'll either fix it or you'll get a new camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote