Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:01 AM   #21
Administrator

It looks like he already sent the Camera back to Canon, and he's having the same issue with multiple lenses (Canon 300mm, Sigma 300mm, Canon 28-300mm).

That's why I'm wondering if it's a settings issue of some kind. But, because the EXIF metadata was stripped out by the editor used to downsize them, I can't see the settings.

Those photos appear to have a *lot* of leeway for sharpening, as if the sharpness setting is dialed back in the camera.

A couple of those photos very lightly sharpened:
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:35 PM   #22

Thanks for all of the suggestions- the camera is on it way back to Canon with the 28-300 lens- it will be interesting to see what they say-
I haven't messed with the default sharpness setting.
I just find it hard to believe that with the 50D you have to do so much post production sharpening and with my Mark II and 5d you don't.
awg31650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:40 PM   #23
Administrator

That's one reason I'm wondering if the settings are messed up for some reason. I'd try factory defaults (see the "Clear Settings" choice in your Setup Menus, mentioned in a previous post to this thread), which should eliminate any potential for a settings conflict to be causing the problem.

Newer cameras are more computer than camera. So, if a setting combination is not as expected by the programmers, results may not be as anticipated. ;-)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:44 PM   #24
Administrator

BTW, when I saw the photo of the older gentleman with the flag, the first thought that came to my mind was "how did you get a photo of my father".

That photo is exactly as how my father looked about 10 years ago. Your subject could be his identical twin. I would instantly recognize that photo as being my father (and he's in his 80's now). But, I know that could not be him.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:26 PM   #25

was your father visiting Alaska, maybe on a cruise- the guy would not give me his name
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:13 PM   #26

If anyone cares about the outcome-I sent the camera in to CPS Ca.
The CPS Canon repair center in Irvine Ca. did find that the AF assembly was not working right and that the focus was off. They fixed this and also adjusted other electrontic parts.
This is something the CPS NJ repair center could not find when I sent it in the first time- guess they weren't looking hard enough.
I haven't checked it out yet- so I hope its fixed
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:42 PM   #27
RRC

Default I have the same exact issue with my 50D as well .

What you describe here could have been me writing exactly what I experience with my camera. It has been to the Irvine center 2 times.

They had the same AF mechanism and electrical adjustments were carried out thingy in the note that I got back.

However, the first time, nothing really changed and my camera was doing the same exact thing again. The next time, the camera seemed to be perfect for a day. But soon after, it started doing the same thing.

One thing that I also noticed that turning on "Highlight tone priority" made the issue horrible.

The camera is back at the Irvine center for the third time today. I'd be interested in knowing how your testing went with the camera that arrived back.
RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:03 PM   #28

awg31650:

I am very interested. A friend of mine keeps complaining about his photos being out of focus. I checked the focus points with the DDP software and the focal points do not match with what is actually focused. In other words the software says the points are focused and they "clearly" are not. Keep us posted!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:29 PM   #29
Administrator

When you're checking focus points with software, don't forget that if you lock focus with a half press of the shutter button and reframe, the software won't know that (it will only know what focus points were locked before you reframed and pressed the shutter button down the rest of the way to take the photo).
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrack View Post
awg31650:

I am very interested. A friend of mine keeps complaining about his photos being out of focus. I checked the focus points with the DDP software and the focal points do not match with what is actually focused. In other words the software says the points are focused and they "clearly" are not. Keep us posted!
I quit using the DPP software. My images are always soft when processed with DPP.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote